Memory Soup

Part 9

By Emily M. Hanson

After several hours of trudging through the cold, dark caverns, the adventurers discovered what at first appeared to be unique rock formations, or perhaps stalagmites, jutting out of the ground. At a closer look, it was possible to tell that the rocks weren't rocks at all. Rather, they were metal spires corroded with extreme age. Infinity had seen pictures from the Mitzelgranian History Archives confirming that these were indeed the ruins of the ancient city, and quite possibly the fabled Psionicists' tower.

"This is it," the archaeologist exclaimed, with the excitement of one who knows she is about to make a major discovery that could bring fame and fortune. Taking an image recorder out of her backpack, she focused in on the spires.

"Great," Kilroy said. When they finally returned to the surface, he could focus on figuring out the planet's anti-aging secret and getting his ship refueled. He was going to make millions of credits after he had the secret.

Just as Infinity moved to take pictures from another angle, the ground shook.

"Is that a planetquake?" he wondered aloud.

Suddenly there was another tremor, stronger than the first, and the cavern floor caved in beneath them. Kilroy's screams echoed along with his companions as they fell through the darkness. Thoughts of discovering Mitzelgran's anti-aging secret and becoming rich and famous quickly faded into despair.

Infinity felt the impact as she landed on stone. For a few moments, her body cried out with pain and she was terrified that she'd been badly injured. Slowly, she stood up. Around her, the other adventurers were also clambering to their feet.

"Where are we?" Kilroy asked.

Looking around, the archaeologist realized that they were inside the ruins. Intricate carvings of ancient symbols in the stonework around her matched the historic sketches she had seen. "I think we're actually standing in front of the psionicists' tower."

"Incredible," Kaladox breathed. "Do you think it's safe to go inside?"

"Well, the air will probably be incredibly stale, but it should be breathable. I'm not sure about the floor inside. The tremors might have destroyed the support columns over time. Do you really want to risk it?"

"We're going to have to find a way out of here, anyway," Kilroy said. "Let's do some exploring."

"I agree," said Hamlet.

"I think we should concentrate on finding a way back to the surface," Horatio replied.

"The psionicists were very advanced for their time," Kaladox remarked. "They were supposed to have devices that could transport people across vast distances in the space of a few heartbeats."

"Really?" Horatio asked, suddenly interested. "If that's true and those devices still work, we'd have a way out."

"More than that," Infinity responded, her eyes twinkling with enthusiasm. "We'll have found the discovery of a lifetime. Does anyone not want to explore?"

The silence was louder than Nessie's roar.

"Then let's go," she declared, carefully opening the stone door.

The air inside the tower was dry and musty. Thick layers of dust layered with cobwebs blanketed everything in sight. Scrolls, moldy with age, lay on dusty wooden tables. No doubt, the lightest touch would cause the ancient papyrus to disintegrate. A purple crystal that had once sparkled was now covered with webs. Infinity reached for it. The crystal glowed briefly as she touched it.

"What's that?" Kilroy asked.

"Legend has it that the psionicists were able to create crystals that enhanced their own natural abilities. That is probably an amplifying crystal," Kaladox answered.

"Why did it glow?" Infinity wondered aloud.

"I'm afraid I don't know," the Mitzelgranian replied. "I would like to see it."

She handed it to him. As Kaladox touched the crystal, it glowed again. Suddenly he could sense the thoughts of everyone around him, even Silverclaw, whose thoughts were in her tribe's own language. He knew their innermost desires and fears. It was all too much, too quickly.

"Take it," he hissed, holding the crystal with a trembling hand.

Infinity took it. "What happened?"

"Apparently, the psionicists' powers weren't lost entirely. They must have been passed down through the generations, but we never knew because we didn't have the proper training. When I held the crystal, I could read your minds. I can't do that now that I'm no longer touching it."

"Interesting," Horatio mused. "Did all of the psionicists require amplifying crystals to use their abilities?"

"No. According to legend, most of the psionicists were so powerful that they didn't even need the crystals. The gems were usually used to train those who had lesser abilities. However, during the Great Psionic War, the most powerful psionicists used the crystals to enhance their mental powers. Some survived, but found they had lost their skills entirely because the power was too overwhelming. Others went mad and were destroyed. It was a time of darkness and chaos."

"Incredible."

Silverclaw sniffed the air. "We are not alone in this place."

"Of course not," Hamlet agreed. "There are probably thousands of spiders watching us right now."

"I do not mean that. Something else is here, and it is coming this way."

"What is it?"

"I have never smelled anything like it before."

Everyone exchanged glances. Suddenly, the sound of heavy, clanking footsteps reverberated through the building. The werewolf was right. Something was coming.

"Defense system activated. Intruder alert," a metallic voice boomed in Mitzelgranian, which Kaladox translated. He'd learned the ancient predecessor to the current language from required studies in his youth. "Be prepared to show your authorization. If you do not have authorization, you must leave the premises immediately or be exterminated," the voice continued.

"Astonishing," Horatio remarked. "The defenses are still active, even after all this time."

"The Guardians were supposed to be very powerful. Fighting this one would not be a good idea," Kaladox remarked.

"That thing is a robot, correct?" Kilroy asked.

"Yes."

"Well, all robots have a power source. Find it, disable it, and we're home free."

The Mitzelgranian native shook his head. "It probably has a Venusium casing, which means it will be impossible to penetrate. I have no idea what it could be using for power, but whatever the source, it's got to be incredibly advanced to last this long."

"What sort of authorization is it looking for?" Infinity asked.

"I don't know," he admitted. "It could be anything."

Everyone glanced around. Silverclaw noticed a metallic card on one of the tables. She picked it up and blew the dust away. The card was inscribed in the ancient Mitzelgranian language. "Can anyone read this?"

Kaladox glanced at it. He was able to decipher several of the symbols. "It says security access. This must be what the Guardian wants."

The colossal robot came into view. It was indeed made of Venusium. Its pale blue metallic surface was dusty with age -- but not tarnished, as any other metal would be. Bright green optical sensors flashed as it extended an appendage with a scanning device attached.

"Please provide authorization," the Guardian announced.

Kaladox translated. Infinity was more than happy to place the security card into the scanner.

Several moments later, the robot announced, "Authorization accepted. Greetings, Oremius Dosanix. It has been 3,205 years since you were last here. Power is being restored."

Some lights flashed on, but more than a few remained dark. "Warning! Power failure on levels 2 through 8. Using backup generator," the robot announced. More lights came on after a few moments, giving an eerie glow to the already otherworldly room. "Power has not been restored on level 8, sectors 5-10. Please proceed with caution," the robot said, then clanked away.

"Amazing," Infinity exclaimed. "We're the first people here in over three millennia."

"Yes. Let's follow the Guardian's advice and be careful. So much about the psionicists is considered legendary that what is real may turn out to be far from the truth," Kaladox said.

No one could argue with that advice. They proceeded through the dusty halls of the lower level, which were now brightly lit.

To be continued soon...

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2