Memory Soup
By Emily M. Hanson

Part 7

Early the next morning, they were awakened by the noise of someone shuffling around. Infinity opened her eyes and noticed a young female werewolf going through her pack. "Hey! Stop that!"

The werewolf turned around and bared her fangs, growling softly. She proudly displayed a sack containing two days' worth of rations. "Mine."

"No, I bought them. You didn't. Therefore, they're mine."

The men began to wake up. Kaladox was the first to open his eyes. "That's our food."

"My people have nothing to live on but the dry, leathery meat of bats and mice, yet you grow fat and healthy in the sunlit lands above us. Why can you not spare some rations?"

Infinity looked down at her size-6 waist. "What do you mean, we're fat?"

"I'm sure she meant it as a relative term," Kaladox replied. "Are your people really starving?"

"We are being forced to scavenge in the tunnels below, where there are things stronger than the strongest of us. We lost four scouts to a shadow-skulker last week. We can steal food from the miners, but they hurl stones at us if we are caught," the werewolf answered.

"Let her have the rations," Kilroy said.

Infinity looked at him as if he were crazy. He shrugged.

"Hey, we'll all be rich and famous after we find these ruins of yours, right? So what's a few bread crumbs?"

"They're your rations," Kaladox remarked when she glanced at him. "It's your choice."

"All right," Infinity said. "You can have them."

"Thanks. You are planning on going to the lower levels?"

"Yes."

"Have any of you been there?"

"No," Kaladox answered.

"Then you will need another guide. Come with me."

The female werewolf led them to the lair. It was surprisingly clean compared to the rest of the tunnels. She introduced them to the pack leader, Blackfang. He gave permission for one of the scouts to accompany them, and thanked them for the gift of food.

Silverclaw, a tall and wiry female scout, was chosen to be their guide. She looked more human than most of her pack mates, but her glowing red eyes, pointed ears, claws and fangs made it obvious that she was not human. She wore leather armor and carried no weapon, for she was a weapon herself. Silverclaw wore a shiny green stone on a piece of twine around her neck. It was supposed to be an amulet of protection.

For a few extra glow sticks and other supplies that could be spared, the werewolves traded five amulets and a salve that was supposed to cure the poison from spider venom, if applied quickly enough. The adventurers said their farewells, then headed back to the room where they'd found the rod of darkness to gather up their belongings.

Several hours later, they were on the next level. It was very cold here but there were still lamps burning along the walls.

"Careful," Silverclaw said. "We're getting close to the place where my companions faced the shadow-skulker and lost."

They walked a few more yards. Suddenly the acrid stench of decay overwhelmed them. Then the remains of the werewolves came into view. Everyone gingerly stepped over the decaying corpses. Moments later, Kaladox stopped and sniffed the air.

"Does anyone else smell that?" he asked. "I don't mean the bodies."

Silverclaw nodded. "The shadow-skulker has been here, perhaps as recently as a few minutes ago."

Just then, there was a foreboding growl that made everyone but the werewolf shiver. Hamlet, Horatio and Kilroy raised their blasters. Infinity got out the sling she had found in the mines above and grabbed a handful of loose stones. Kaladox readied his dagger and resumed a fighting stance. For a heartbeat that seemed eternally long, there was complete silence. Then a cold, frigid blast filled the tunnel. Everyone held their breath. The amulets seemed to be working. No one had been frozen.

The shadow-skulker appeared in front of them. It was as dark as the shadows, except for two yellow eyes glowing like flames. It made a sound that was a cross between a hiss and a growl, then launched itself at them in a furious attack. Silverclaw bared her fangs and slashed with her claws. Her razor-sharp claws managed to wound it.

Kilroy fired his blaster. The shadow-skulker angrily hissed as the energy beam singed its skin. Hamlet and Horatio fired simultaneously, hitting the beast but not doing much damage. Kaladox struck it with his dagger and managed to injure it. A thin stream of blood flowed from the creature's wound, freezing as it was exposed to the air. Standing aside, Infinity aimed the sling. There was a thud as the stone hit the shadow-skulker in the back of its head.

"I think it's hurt," she remarked.

"Yes," Silverclaw replied. "We must kill it and avenge the deaths it has caused." Her voice changed to a threatening growl as the shadow-skulker loomed over her.

Hissing, the dark beast exhaled its frozen breath again. The werewolf clutched her amulet and muttered something unintelligible. But there was an unmistakable glow from her green stone. The light shone brighter until the air felt warm again. Then the amulet looked like a normal rock again.

"Incredible," Horatio remarked. "You'll have to show us how to do that -- assuming we survive this fight."

"It is a secret that my pack has guarded for generations," she snarled. "Blackfang is the only one who can decide whether it will be shared with outsiders. The amulets will protect you well enough on their own without the use of more magic."

"Of course. I meant no offense."

"None taken."

As the shadow-skulker raised its fist, Infinity aimed her sling. This time, she got extremely lucky. The rock hit the beast in the left eye, blinding it and causing lots of pain. Silverclaw took advantage of the moment and raked her claws across the shadow-skulker's thick hide. She managed to injure it and retrieved her claws before they could be frozen. Hamlet, Kilroy, and Horatio fired their blasters. Kaladox stabbed it again, hitting a vital organ. The shadow-skulker was in its death throes. Silverclaw made the final blow. The creature froze solid as its blood spilled out.

"The murders of my brothers and sisters have finally been avenged," the werewolf announced.

"Great," said Infinity. "I'm really happy for you."

"At least, that thing will not be able to kill any more," Kaladox remarked. "We should get moving."

So they continued down to the gloomy depths of the caverns below, where even larger and stronger creatures lurked, and the ruins were waiting to be explored.

To be continued.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2