Part 4

The forest was as thick with foliage as it could be without becoming a jungle. Kilroy and Hamlet rode deep into its heart where it was so dark, phosphorescent mushrooms and moss provided the only light besides the headlights. Insects hummed nearby but did not bother the visitors. Primitive animals that were much like monkeys swung from the treetops and chattered loudly. High above in the canopies, birds sang in varying pitches.
Suddenly, the Silver Siren's song broke the peaceful ambience.

"She must be very close," Kilroy said, glancing around.

"Yes. Hang on." Hamlet shifted gears and the forest zoomed by in green blurs. His driving skill must have been excellent since he didn't hit any trees. Several minutes later, he slowed down. "We should be safe now."

But a silver gleam appeared in the thick green leaves before them. Kilroy could barely distinguish the shape of an alien woman, who was very tall and slender with pointed ears and seven long fingers on each hand. Her body seemed to be made of pure silver. She wore a gossamer gown that flowed around her, shimmering in the headlights' glow. Her hair cascaded around her shoulders like a silver waterfall.

"Cover your ears," Hamlet exclaimed and followed his own advice.

"Wait. She's saying something," Kilroy said as the Silver Siren spoke.

The other man put his hands down. "What?"

"I said, I do not wish to hurt you. There is a creature in this place which I am trying to warn you about. It can mimic voices. It uses them to lure unsuspecting victims into its lair. It has been using my songs for years." A tear formed in her eye. "I know what your people say about me. I have had nothing to do with those unfortunate disappearances."

"All right, what is this creature and what does it look like?" he asked.

"It is a great hulking beast with many appendages and mottled fur, which it uses to camouflage itself. I do not know its name. I realize that you have no reason in particular to trust me. I only hope that you remember what I've told you. If you hear something in this forest with hypnotic power, stay away from it."

"We most certainly will. Thank you," Hamlet replied. "Might I ask your name?"

"My people come from a world that is many light years away. I was sent here on a scouting mission to see if this planet had any worthwhile resources. My ship crashed and I had no way to return home. This planet's beauty was too much to leave behind, in any case. My name is Iriella."

"You could return with me," Kilroy said. "I have a ship. Well, it needs to be fixed and refueled. But after that's done, you're welcome to join me."

"Thank you. I will consider your offer," she said with a smile. "Come and find me when you're ready." She disappeared into the dense foliage.

They continued their journey to the edge of the forest, where there were many kinds of flowers and other plants growing. While Kilroy spotted a spiderblossom with its long purple and blue tendrils, Hamlet found a patch of bright yellow and orange starflowers. They carefully gathered the specimens. Just when they were about to leave, thunder rumbled in the distance.

"I think the storm's coming a bit early," Kilroy said.

"You're probably right. We'd better get back soon."

They headed to town as dark thunderclouds loomed overhead and large raindrops began to fall. By the time they arrived, they were soaking wet. Dominia greeted them at the door.

"Oh, goodness, you two look like drowned rats. You'd better come inside. Horatio's just gotten home from the marketplace as well," she said. "Did you find all the ingredients?"

"Yes," Hamlet replied, hanging up his dripping coat. "They may be a little soggy, though."

Suddenly there was another knock at the door. It was Infinity. "Hi. May I come in?"

"Of course, dear."

"Thanks. We need to leave sooner than I had expected. Something's come up."

"What?" Hamlet asked.

"Our Mitzelgranian guide has received an order from his government to search for another object while we're down there. Apparently, it's a relic of some sort that's sacred to them. We'll have to leave today. Are you up for it?"

"I'm up for anything," Kilroy answered.

"I should speak with my brother, but I'm sure he'll agree."

"Excellent," she replied.

"You should at least wait until the rain stops," Dominia said. "It shouldn't be long."

Hamlet gave his mother the memory soup ingredients as his brother entered the room.

"Infinity?"

"Horatio, we need to depart earlier than I thought." She explained again. "Can you leave today?"

"Of course. I just need to finish packing."

"Good. I'll wait."

After they finished packing, the twins said goodbye to Dominia and Galaxius, who had forgotten why they were leaving in the first place. He was certain that he would remember after having some memory soup. He wished them luck. Then Hamlet, Horatio, Kilroy and Infinity set off on their journey. They would meet the native guide at the mine entrance, located several dozen kilometers north of town.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2