Slave Race 3/?
by Nan Smith and Linda Garrick

"Oh." Loreen was shocked. Intellectually, of course, she had known that such things occurred, but she had never witnessed the results of it until now. Still, they were commonplace enough on Jilectan dominated worlds. Everyone knew that.

Ed was continuing. "Jake and Devin brought Cory and me to this place. They'd been living here for a couple of years when they found us. We fixed it up as best we could, and, as time went by we got better and better at our work. We learned to take advantage of every opportunity--like you, Lori." He paused and looked down at his hands. "We kept our gang small on purpose. Jake and Devin guessed the truth about Cory and me as soon as the Jils started in on Terran psychics. We didn't try to keep our abilities secret from them. Why should we? They were a big help. We didn't know there was anything to hide--until Terran psychics became outlaws."

"You weren't afraid they'd tell on you?"

"No. When the business came out, we had a heart to heart talk with them. They promised never to say anything. It's been a year, and so far they've held to their promise."

"I suppose you keep an eye on their minds, too?"

He grinned a little. "They're easy reads."

"Easy reads?"

"Yes. It's easy to read their minds--both of them. Takes practically no effort at all."

"Am I an easy read?"

His grin widened. "Yes, you are."

"Maybe everyone is."

"No, everyone isn't. I know that for sure. I've run into people who are almost impossible."

"You mean... you aren't able to read their minds? Who?"

"No one you know. I've run into a couple of other psychics who are really tough, and some nons. One of the gangs that runs through here has a leader who Cory and I can't read at all. He's shielded, like the Jils are."

"How does he do it?"

"I don't know. I'd like to ask him, but we aren't on speaking terms." He grinned.

"I see." Loreen grinned back. "He's an enemy gang leader?"

"Yes. Tough bast... crook. Big as a battlecruiser and mean as a sabreclaw."

"Have you fought him?"

"Jake has--just once. He got away alive 'cause the cops showed up in time to break it up."

"My goodness. Edwin, why don't you get away from all this? You have enough money apparently. Why don't you take your men and move to another location, out of the city, where you wouldn't have to deal with street gangs?"

"Where would we go?"

"Anyplace. You said it yourself. You're an empath. You could do any kind of work you wanted."

Edwin looked thoughtful. "You know, that's not such a bad idea."

Loreen watched him step back from her and begin to pace up and down, biting his left thumb. "I've always dreamed of being a fisherman," he said suddenly. "Do you like the ocean, Lori? Yes, I see you do. We could move to the town of Svoon. That's only about a hundred kilometers from here." He stopped abruptly and turned to face her. "Lori, I have to go."

"Where?"

"To Svoon! I'll be back. If you need anything, just ask Cory."

"But what are you..."

"Please, just trust me."

"I do, Edwin."

"Good." He caught her shoulders and drew her to him swiftly, kissing her hard on the mouth. Then he was gone, the door closing smartly behind him.

Loreen let out her breath slowly and sat down on the bed. It was incredible--utterly incredible. This boy, a criminal psychic who's friends had kidnapped her, was in love with her. And she loved him; there was no doubt in her mind of that. It was ridiculous, absurd, and true. Beyond all reason and common sense, love loomed like a bright incandescence around her. She couldn't fight it, and had no desire to do so. She knew now, at last, what it meant to be in love.

Would he do as he said--find an honorable career and become an honest man--marry her and settle down? Could he, after all these years? He was a criminal. He'd been a criminal since he was six.

She lay back on the bed and crooked an arm over her eyes. She hadn't answered Edwin when he'd asked her to marry him, but Loreen knew that she would--and he knew it, too. It didn't make sense, but it was right -- the most right thing in her world. Was this what her mother had felt when she had met Loreen's father? Well, if so, she was beating her parents' record. Her mom would say she was crazy, but she didn't care.

She turned over, trying to will herself to sleep, already certain that it wasn't going to work. She was terribly tired but too excited to sleep. Much too excited.

Chapter 2

Edwin White sent the aircar across the low, dirty buildings of Franik, thoughts racing. What had come over him? Had he gone completely nuts? Loreen Cornwall was nothing to him. He had met her only today. She was only a girl who's father owned a fair amount of money. He should be able to regard her merely as a means for increasing their funds.

But he couldn't. Her face haunted him, and her eyes melted his resolve. She was utterly beautiful--the most beautiful woman he'd ever known in his life. While he was near her, he felt ready to fight sabreclaws for her. Those eyes of hers! He leaned back in the seat, willing his heartbeats to slow down, wishing the pain in his stomach would go away, and yet, not wanting it to. He was so happy, he wanted to sing. He loved her. He would never be happy without her, and there was only one way to be certain she would always be his. He must marry her as soon as possible. She loved him, too, incredible as it seemed. A beautiful, desirable girl like her loved *him*. She had said so, and he had seen it in her mind. She was as confused as he, but she loved him. He couldn't fail her. He couldn't send her back to that louse, Cecil, who figured she was lucky that he would even look at her.

The buildings of Franik were dwindling, giving away to a darkened countryside. The aircar sped on under Edwin's urgent hands. It was full night now, and the stars twinkled overhead. Edwin set the controls of the car, leaned back in his seat, and tried to sleep for a little while.

He couldn't. His mind was too full of thoughts of Loreen, and of what the next day would bring. He rested, but the beeping of the autopilot brought him fully awake. Svoon lay below him, a cluster of buildings in the darkness. Beyond it the sea glittered darkly under the starlit sky.

He brought the aircar down to a gentle landing next to the waterfront and surveyed the scene with interest. Svoon was a town of fishermen, one of the smaller villages on Corala, and very quiet. A turbill voiced its lonely call from somewhere, and a fish jumped. A clank and a roar of an engine attracted Edwin's attention. He could see, vague in the darkness, a fishing crafts lights come on, the men obviously preparing to set out for the day's catch. Edwin glanced at his chronometer. It still lacked four hours to daylight. Fishermen rose early, he supposed. It went with the job.

He opened the door of the aircar and got out. The air was cold and smelled of the sea. The turbill called again. Nearby he heard the men who were preparing to embark, cursing, and the crafts engine sputtered, then died. Edwin went toward the sounds.

Two men were striding along the deck of their craft. One of them ducked into the cabin, and again the engine roared for an instant. A moment later it died once more. Edwin smiled to himself, telepathic and empathic senses scanning. He quietly approached the man remaining on deck, who was now bending over the engines, flashing a light over them, a spanner in one hand.

Edwin strode up to him. "Hi."

The man turned, scowling. "What do you want?"

"Nothing. Just going by and heard the engine cut out. You having trouble?"

"Yeah--a couple 'o weeks now. Dammit! Al, get up here and gimmie a hand with this bloody thing!"

Al appeared from the cabin, torch in one hand. His other hand rested upon a stunner, which was stuck into his belt. He surveyed Edwin suspiciously from beneath the brim of his grimy fisherman's hat. "Whatcha want, kid?"

"Maybe I can help you. I used to take care of engines a lot."

"Get lost, kid. We got enough problems. Whatcha see in there, Pete?"

"Aw, hell! I dunno what's wrong! I guess it could be the tagle bolt here. Hold the light for me, willya?"

"I'll do it," Edwin said. He leaped to the deck and picked up the light, shining it into the engine compartment. Pete shot him a glowering look, but reached down again, tightening a bolt or two. Edwin peered downward, and in a flash recognized the problem.

"Okay, Al, try her again."

Al returned to the cabin, and again the motor roared, sputtered and died.

"Damn!" said Pete absently. He started to reach into the engine again.

"Just a minute." Edwin reached past him. "I think I see the trouble. Shine the light right there for me, will you please?"

"Now wait a minute buddy..."

"That's good." Edwin, tightened a loosened wire in a narrow recess, and adjusted a second one, then tightened it as well. "All right, Al, try it now."

A tiny hesitation. Then the motor roared, caught and subsided to a gentle purr. A few seconds passed, then a minute. The purr continued without pause.

"He's done it!" Al stood up, wiping his hands on his coveralls. "Hey, kid, you *do* know your stuff! Thanks!"

Edwin shrugged and gave the man his best smile. "No problem."

"How much do we owe you?" It was Al emerging from the cabin, pushing his cap back.

"Aw, it's okay. No charge."

Al grinned, showing blackened teeth, and Edwin sensed friendship and benevolence. "What are you doing here, anyway, kid? It's just after four."

"I'm looking for work."

"You got no folks?"

"They're dead."

"Oh. Sorry. Know anything about fishing?"

"Some."

"We could use a deck hand. You could double as our mechanic."

"You'd hire me?"

"You know half as much about fish as you do about engines, we will. Can't pay you much, but your lodgings'll be free, and we can give you a break on food supplies." Al grinned, sticking out a grimy hand. "This baby's been giving us no end of trouble. Every mechanic in town's worked on her. They all say she's fixed, and she never is... until you showed up. What's your name?"

"Edwin White. Call me Ed."

"You all alone?"

"I'm getting married. My wife'll be here soon--probably tomorrow."

"Good enough." They shook hands, and the other man crowded forward to extend a grimy palm. "I'm Al's brother, Pete Marsh. Want to come with us and show us what you know about fishing?"

"Sure."

"Okay, let's move. Time's a'wasting."

Al went back into the cabin, and Pete ran across the deck to draw the anchor. The little fishing boat moved slowly forward across the dark water.

Chapter 3

Loreen awoke to bright sunlight streaming through a window. She had fallen asleep across Edwin's bed and had, surprisingly, slept well.

She stood up and went into the bathroom. The face which looked back at her from the mirror above the sink was smudged and pinched, and yet, her eyes were bright with happiness. The memory of Edwin sent a glow through her. She combed her hair, washed her face, and was surprised at the results, for suddenly she looked almost pretty. A little makeup might help, of course, but her makeup bag was probably still in her purse, which she had dropped somewhere during her abduction yesterday.

The memory was like a dream now. She went to the door of the room and opened it.

A hallway stretched out before her. No one was in sight. She went down the corridor and entered the main room. Cory, seated in a chair, feet up, glanced around and grinned at her. "Hi, Lori."

"Hi."

"Sleep okay?"

She nodded. "Where's Edwin?"

"Edwin!" The boy's handsome face split into an even wider smile. "Man! He'd kill me if I called him that. He's still out."

"He was gone all night?"

"Yup. Don't worry, though. Old Ed can take care of himself."

"What's he doing, though?"

The boy lifted an eyebrow at her. "He's becoming respectable for you, Lor."

"Then he meant it--what he said?"

"Of course. Ed always means it." Cory grinned. "He's in love with you, Lor, and I can understand why. I envy him. I don't suppose we could copy the Jils, and you could marry both of us?"

Loreen felt herself flushing. "The Jils do it the opposite way."

"Oh yeah." His eyes twinkled. "One Lord and lots of Ladies. I forgot."

"Sure you did!"

"I forget everything when I look at you, honey!"

Loreen's face was hot. "Stop that!"

"Okay. I sure hope I can find a girl like you someday, though. You don't have a sister, do you?"

"I thought you psychics knew everything. Of course I do."

"Yeah? Oh, but she's married."

"Darn you, Cory! Stop reading me!"

"I can't help it. Your thoughts jump out at me like marshhoppers. You don't have a little cousin or something who you could introduce me to, do you?"

"No. I'm sorry."

"Too bad. Oh well, maybe someday I'll be so lucky. Want some breakfast?"

"Yes, thank you. I'm starved."

"The kitchen's next door." He led the way and Loreen followed.

"Where's Jake and Devin?"

"Out on some raid or other. They probably won't be back until this evening." Cory frowned, beginning to dish up a plate of food. "I sort of wonder what Ed'll do with them. We've been together a long time. I can't see him just leaving them behind."

"What about you, Cory?"

"I go where Ed goes, of course. We're partners."

"Oh."

He grinned. "Don't worry. I won't intrude on your privacy."

"I wasn't thinking of that!"

"Oh yes you were, and very natural that you should. But don't worry; I know how to be discreet."

Loreen felt a warm glow of friendship. "I wouldn't want you to go, Cory. I like you."

"Thanks, sweetie. I like you, too. Here's breakfast." He handed her a plate, then paused suddenly, eyes becoming vacant.

"What is it?"

He didn't reply for a moment. Then he nodded abruptly and his eyes focussed on her. "Lori, I want you to eat fast--or, better yet, bring it along."

"Where are we going?"

"I'll explain on the way. There's an aircar out back. Hurry."

She went with him, plate in hand, and climbed into the passenger seat. Cory jumped gracefully behind the controls and the aircar lifted off.

"Cory..."

"That was Ed calling. He want's you."

"Why?"

"He's in Svoon. He says he wants me to bring you at once. He has a surprise for you."

"What is it, though?"

Cory smiled mysteriously. "Eat your breakfast."

"Cory! Tell me!"

"No."

"Cory!"

"Ed told me not to."

"That's not fair!"

"Now Lori, be patient. We'll be there in an hour or so." He glanced sideways at her and grinned charmingly. "Ed wants to surprise you. He'd be awfully upset if I ruined it."

Loreen fell silent. Cory set the car controls and leaned back in the seat. The vehicle moved rapidly eastward.

Svoon came into view at last--a cluster of buildings set against a backdrop of ocean. Cory took manual control again and brought them to a smooth landing before a building. He cut the engine and set the brake, eyes becoming vacant again for a moment. Then his face cleared and he spoke to Loreen.

"Wait right here." He opened the car door and got out.

"Where are you going?"

"See you in a few minutes." He winked at her and turned to run into the building.

Loreen waited, biting her nails. Perhaps a minute passed. Then Ed emerged from the building alone, ran down the three steps, and across the lawn. He jumped into the car beside her.

"Hi, Lori!" He seized her, pulled her close and kissed her. His hand caught hers, removed the ring Cecil had been intending to buy, and slid another one on in its place.

The kiss ended, leaving her breathless. She looked down at her hand.

A sparkling blue diamond, set in platinum, and surrounded by a cluster of pale yellow tani chips. Loreen caught her breath. "Oh Edwin!"

"You like it?"

"Oh yes!"

"It was my mother's. I had it sized for you today."

"How did you know what size I wear?"

"I made a guess. Looks like I was right." He reached in his pocket and removed another ring--a pale silver band. "Let's go get married, Lori."

"Edwin... now?"

"Right now. That's the courthouse. The Justice is inside. I've already spoken to him. He says he'll do it, if you're willing, right now."

"I..." Loreen hesitated a split second, then made the decision which changed her life forever. "All right, Edwin."

He seized her hand and pulled her from the car. Together they ran up the steps and into the building.

Cory was their witness. Ten minutes later, Edwin and Loreen White, husband and wife, emerged from the courthouse, hand in hand, Cory behind them, scattering rice according to ancient tradition.

They reached the car and Cory kissed her on the cheek, shook Ed's hand and slapped him on the back.

"See you in a while, old buddy." He spoke jovially. "Have fun."

"Where are you going?" asked Loreen.

"Home for awhile. I have some things to pack."

"What?"

"Come on!" Edwin pulled her toward his own aircar. I'll explain it all as we go."

"Okay!" Laughing, she climbed into the car beside him. It lifted off and moved across town.

Edwin settled their vehicle before a small building--a wood frame house on the far edge of town. "This is it--our new home."

"What? Edwin, what have you done?"

"I got a job, Lori, with a pair of brothers here. I'm their new mechanic and deck hand. This house belongs to them. Their uncle and aunt used to live here but they moved away last year and the house has been vacant since. We get to live in it rent free--part of the deal, since they can't afford to pay me a whole lot."

"Oh! Oh Edwin!"

"Come on inside and have a look around. It's furnished and everything."

It was a beautiful little house, with a large living room, two bedrooms, a bathroom and a dining area. The backyard was fenced, and grass grew as high as Loreen's knees.

"I'll cut it later," Ed told her. He drew her back inside, put his arms around her and kissed her.

It was evening when they flew back toward Franik. Loreen leaned her head against her husband's shoulder and closed her eyes. Edwin kept an arm around her all the way back. They talked idly of the future.

"Cory should have everything packed by now," Edwin told her. "He'll find a place to stay in town, but until then we can let him have the other bedroom. You don't mind, do you?"

"Not at all. I like Cory a lot."

"Just don't start liking him too much. Jake and Devin are another problem. They may not want to come. If they do, they'll have to find somewhere else to live. There just isn't enough room for them, too."

"Do you think they'll be able to find work?"

"I hope so. I'll help 'em--if they decide to come."

The lights of Franik glowed in the distance. Loreen snuggled closer to Ed. "Somehow I'll have to get word to Mom and Dad. I hope they'll understand."

"So do I."

"Mom probably will. From what she's told me, she and Dad had sort of a whirlwind courtship, too. Dad might be a little tougher, though, but Mom can probably handle him. You'll like her, Ed."

"If she's anything like you, Lori, I know I will."

"How do you like being a fisherman?"

"It's not bad. The two guys I work for own a couple of boats. They've been having trouble with both of them, but I took care of that last night and this morning. They think I'm great." Edwin smiled modestly. "They're right, of course."

"Naturally."

He squeezed her shoulder, grinning broadly. "You're great, too, Lori."

The car settled before the tenement building and Edwin opened the door.

As he started to exit, there was a shout, and something hit him, throwing him sideways. Dark forms converged from all sides, leaping upon the fallen boy.

Loreen was moving before she was aware of what had happened, scrambling from the car, screaming her husband's name. His face was sharp and clear before her eyes, and she heard his cry of pain clearly. Knifelike pain stabbed through her chest. She screamed, consciousness fading. Dimly she was aware of Cory rushing from the tenement, Jake and Devin beside him. She heard Cory scream an obscenity and was dimly aware of the two closing forces, of Cory standing over Edwin's motionless body, then leaping forward to tackle a much larger figure. Someone bent over her, and a hand gripped her hair. She was dragged to her feet, and found herself facing a huge, dark-haired man, his face and chest all smeared with bright blood. He grinned evilly at her.

She struck him with all her strength, bringing up one knee up as hard as she could. It connected, and the man doubled over with a strangled groan. Loreen tore herself free from his loosening grasp and kicked him in the face. He folded silently on the pavement, but another figure leaped forward to take his place.

A heavy weight bore her backwards. She could still hear Cory screaming Ed's name, but Edwin's face was gone now from before her eyes, and she was filled with a sudden, terrible conviction.

"Ed!" she screamed, even as the huge shape crushed her into the pavement and a knife blade flashed up.

Her head struck the pavement hard and stars leaped out of the darkness. She saw the knife blade descending, tried to fend it off, felt the cold blade pierce her skin... Then nothing at all.

Darkness... drifting through warm darkness, aware of her body, yet unable to move. Voices. A hand moved across her skin and fingers pressed. Another hand touched her face and a voice spoke remotely in the background. She opened her eyes.

A white clad nurse stood over her, deftly removing a bandage from her bared shoulder. The woman's face swam blearily before her eyes.

"Well, hello. It's about time you were coming to."

Loreen stared up at her, blinking and trying to clear her vision. She lay in a hospital bed, and the sheets beneath her were soaked with perspiration. A smell was in her nostrils--the fetid odor of sickness and dirt and unwashed bodies.

"Where am I?" Her lips formed the words, but she heard no sound. The nurse lifted an eyebrow.

"Franik General, kid."

"What... happened?"

"You were in a gang fight, I'm told. Stupid, kid. Plain stupid."

"Oh." Memory returned with a jolt. "Edwin? Cory?"

"What?"

"Was anyone else brought in with me?"

"I dunno." The woman completed the bandaging job.

"How... how long have I been here?" Loreen looked up at the bag of fluid hanging above her.

"Uh... four, maybe five days. I forget. You had a bad bump on the head, I'm told. You kept coming to, then drifting off again." The woman stood up, beginning to gather up bandage supplies. "I gotta go."

"Wait! Please don't leave! I have to know--it's... it's terribly important. Was anyone brought in with me?"

The woman frowned at her. "I really don't know, kid, and I'm busy. See you later."

"Please, nurse! Please, can you check?"

The nurse went out, and Loreen lay back, closing her eyes and half sobbing with pain and terror. Edwin! What had happened to Edwin!

A sound beside her made her turn her head and open her eyes. A woman was in the bed beside her, and Loreen saw that she was writhing against the filthy sheets, her skin bathed in sweat. The woman's arms were fastened to the siderails by leather straps.

"What's the matter?" Loreen croaked.

"She needs a fix!" shouted someone. Loreen turned her head the other way to see another woman--a large, very fat woman, with a flushed, sweating face and nearly bald head. A few wisps of yellow hair still clung to her shining scalp.

"She's been goin' through withdrawals all day, and I'm damn sick of it!" the fat woman announced in ringing tones. "I hate druggies. They act like they're the only people in the sector with a problem."

"Shut up!" the druggie screamed. A string of profanity followed.

"You shut up, bitch!"

Several other voices chimed in, echoing varying degrees of misery, anger and irritation. Loreen lay back on her soggy bed again, closing her eyes. Nausea pulled at her.

"Shut UP!"

Loreen opened her eyes. The nurse was back, striding between the patient's beds like a conquering angel. "Shut up! All of you!"

As if by magic the patients subsided. The nurse came over to Loreen's bed, a chart in one hand, and leafed through the pages.

"Jane Doe," she said. "What's your real name?"

"Loreen Cornwall."

"Hmm. You were out cold when they brought you in, it says here."

"Yes?"

"The Police report's awful sketchy. Gang war, apparently, shoulder wound, concussion--severe. Acute blood loss. You're lucky to be alive, girl."

"Please... was anyone brought in with me?"

"It doesn't say. You worried about someone in particular? You haven't had any visitors so far as I know."

Loreen swallowed. "Please... I need to talk to the police."

"The police? You still outta your head, kid?"

"Please... it's important."

"Well, okay. I'll notify 'em. By the way, you're to take it real easy. I didn't see this before." She glanced at another page. "You've had a bad shakeup. You'll be damn lucky if you don't lose it."

"Lose what?"

"Huh? You don't know? Oh, I see. I guess you wouldn't yet. It isn't far advanced."

"*What* isn't?"

"It showed up on the initial scan when you were brought in. You're pregnant."

The police came an hour later--a bored, indifferent fellow who seated himself negligently on the bed, notepad in hand. "Whatcha want, kid?"

Loreen wet her lips. She had been thinking furiously over the past hour, trying to decide her best course of action. Edwin... first she must find out about him, but until she did no on must guess what her relationship had been with the criminals--not for her sake, but for that of Edwin's child.

"Officer, my name is Loreen Cornwall. Does that mean anything to you?"

He lifted an eyebrow. "Should it?"

"I was taken hostage during a jewelry store holdup on Jothvor Drive about a week ago."

That did catch his attention. He stood up, staring at her. "Wait... I remember! There's a reward out for your safe return! Loreen Cornwall, daughter of Subcommander Cornwall--the retired 'trol."

"Yes."

The officer swore. "Yeah, you look like the picture. Hold on." He ran out and a moment later was back. "Okay, I've called the station. They're notifying your parents."

"Thank you. Officer?"

"Yes, miss?" His attitude had changed from indifference to attentiveness now. Some of the other patients in the room were staring, interested.

"There was a gang fight. I remember that, but I don't know what happened. I was hit on the head and woke up here. Can you tell me?"

"Sure, Miss Cornwall. I took a look at the report while I was out there. The fight started on sixteenth and Jathvill, downtown. There were bodies everywhere by the time the police arrived. Most of 'em were killed by blaster bolts. Looks like those guys who took you got their just deserts."

"Bodies? No survivors?"

"Nope. Just you. I'd say you're a very lucky young lady. They probably left you for dead."

Loreen lay back, pain like a knife lancing through her. So Edwin was dead--and Cory too. She would never see them again. She was alone, with Edwin's child growing inside her.

The grief was almost too much to bear. She turned her head sideways on the damp pillow, letting the tears slide down her cheeks. The officer was speaking but she couldn't hear him through the buzzing in her ears. Dimly she was aware that he had left the room, and that someone else had entered. A needle pricked her arm, and she felt the sobs subsiding into a sort of passive hopelessness. A white coated doctor stood beside her, and the nurse was a little behind him, a hypodermic needle in her hand. The curtains had been drawn about the bed, giving at least a semblance of privacy.

The doctor seated himself in the chair. He was an elderly, kindly faced man, with grey hair and rugged features.

"Relax, Miss Cornwall. You've been through a lot, and you're bound to have some violent reactions to all this. Just take it easy."

Loreen nodded apathetically.

"I'm sure you're quite distressed over the fact that one of those hoodlums... well, what he did to you, and that now a pregnancy has resulted. Our scans, however, indicate that the gestation is no more than four days. It can be terminated without difficulty, of course. You mustn't in any way blame yourself..."

Loreen gripped her belly. "No!"

The doctor looked troubled. "Miss Cornwall, I know this is difficult for you after all you've been through, but please be reasonable. Try to look at the situation logically. Aside from the pregnancy, this whole, terrible business can be forgotten. Don't you think it would be better to put it all behind you now? You are to be married, I understand. To carry into a marriage a child who is the result of a forceful assault..."

"No... that is, I... I..."

"It's quick and painless, I assure you. Better to do it now while the fetus is still nothing but a cluster of cells."

"No. I... I don't believe in that!"

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.