Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A long time ago, we had an Endometriosis challenge here on the boards wherein Lois had to get pregnant in a hurry. Lately, I got to thinking...

What if Clark learned he had a limited amount of time in which to get a woman pregnant? evil

S1 or S2, of course; otherwise, it's too easy. laugh

So! Who will the prospective mother be? Will he try to rush to the altar, or get out the turkey-baster? And most importantly...Clark Kent or Superman? devil

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Found in the Daily Planet classifieds:

"Single male searches for a woman to be mother of his future children. Must be a brunette reporter with a major Metropolitan newspaper with a heart of gold and a bad attitude. Must be willing to marry for life and keep a Super big secret. Cheaters need not apply."

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Perfect--nice and specific...

Must be a brunette reporter with a major Metropolitan newspaper with a heart of gold and a bad attitude.
rotflol Excellent!

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
StopQuitDont intended to write a story with this idea, but I believe she didn't get around to it yet. sad

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm just wondering *why* Clark would face that. It seems more of a woman thing - every day, women face the question about having a child or not, and not to decide is to decide.

Clark presumably wouldn't have fertility issues (or would he? This could be an interesting plotbunny.)

Is this a case of "Have to get a woman pregnant before I become infertile", or "Have to get a woman pregnant because something bad will happen (to someone else, or perhaps the entire Earth) if I don't" or "Have to get a woman pregnant because I'll die otherwise"?

Tandrelmairon wrote a fic sort of based on this theme, in Shatterfall . It's not LnC, more generally Superman, but very good.

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Iolan: For what it's worth, I was initially thinking that Clark's Kryptonian biology could be messing with his fertility levels, but then I figured that coming up with a reason why Clark needs to have kids in a hurry could be just as much a part of the plot as 'how'.

Maybe he lost a bet? wink

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Queen of the Capes:
Iolan: For what it's worth, I was initially thinking that Clark's Kryptonian biology could be messing with his fertility levels, but then I figured that coming up with a reason why Clark needs to have kids in a hurry could be just as much a part of the plot as 'how'.

Maybe he lost a bet? wink
That doesn't really sound like something he would bet, Queen, even on a sure thing.

Bad lab results seem more likely.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Columnist
Columnist
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
StopQuitDont intended to write a story with this idea, but I believe she didn't get around to it yet. sad
There actually is A Gift for Life by SQD and Jenni Debbage where this happens!

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I believe it's S1, Clark is diagnosed with cancer and the only way to save him is with a bone marrow transplant. Since there aren't any other Kryptonians around he's got to have a baby to have someone compatible. And Lois certainly couldn't let her friend/hero die, could she?

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
SQD did post this question in the past (July 2010?). She and I had a few discussions about it and actually started working on a joint story with this premise. I think I dropped the ball first due to RL and then she disappeared.

My answer to the question had to do with Kryptonian biology. I don't foresee having time to start writing again until at least August of this year, but maybe if people are still interested in the premise later this year, I'll try to contact SQD and see if we can get it moving again.

B

Kerth
Kerth
Interesting idea. smile

Regarding the how: Clark is contacted by some people from NK, telling him that he will have to marry Zara within a year unless he can provide an heir to the rank of "High Lord" (or whatever it actually was) until then.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooh! Fun!

[Linked Image] First Lord

And a related idea: Is the INS allowed to deport an alien who has fathered a child with a US citizen? wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
IANL but yes. All that being related to a citizen gets you is a easier time getting a permanent visa. If you do something that would cause deportation you can and usually will be deported. If there isn't a close relative that the child can stay with they get deported but can come back when they come of age.

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
BUT, if there was a green-card marriage, and the government wanted to call foul and say it wasn't a real marriage, having a baby would be excellent proof otherwise. devil

~•~
Kerth
Kerth
No kidding.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I seem to remember a Green Card Marriage type story for L&C, though no babies involved. It was an early S1 fic, I think.

I'm now wondering how that sort of scenario would play out maybe around the time of the John Doe for President bit, when he was swamped with bureaucratic nonsense. After all, Superman can't marry Lois Lane because she's married to Clark Kent, but he can't marry anyone ELSE either because he's already married to Lois… oy, that'd be a headache!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by ColleenMA:
I seem to remember a Green Card Marriage type story for L&C, though no babies involved. It was an early S1 fic, I think.
I believe the story you're thinking of is the one Iolanthe brought up on the Superman/Ultra Woman Marriage thread:

Originally posted by IolantheAlias:
This relates to a Superman-Lois Lane wedding, not a Superman/Ultrawoman wedding. I can't help but think of Wendy Richards' fine Green Card . Superman is an "illegal alien" and has to make a quickie marriage. Events ensue. smile

VirginiaR.
---
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yep, that's it! I found that one to be very creative, especially in resolving it at the end. (Won't spoil for anyone else, but it's good!)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by BJ:
I don't foresee having time to start writing again until at least August of this year, but maybe if people are still interested in the premise later this year, I'll try to contact SQD and see if we can get it moving again.

B
I'm always interested. laugh And I'm sure a lot of people will want to read this story, too. hyper

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am surprised no one mentioned Meredith Knight's excellent Rest and Reproduction and nFC version Rest and Reproduction (nFC)

It is actually Lois needing to get pregnant but Clark only having a limited time to accomplish it or find out why see needed it or she went to someone else.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard