Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
The September Monthly Challenge is up, and you know what that means! cool

This month, be it ever so humble, there's no place like home. "Home", for this challenge, means either the place where our protagonists live, or the place where they grew up.

Rules are as follows:

1. The Entire Story must be set in this One Location. The main characters can't leave for any reason, for any length of time. No, not even a brief mention of them arriving in the beginning, leaving at the end, or having to duck out to be Superman at some point in the middle. Everyone stays put.

2. This cannot be a new location (such as a new house), but must be some place old and familiar. Maybe Lois or Clark's apartment building. Maybe the old farm in smallville. Or maybe, hyperion avenue.

3. You can have as many or as few people as you like in this story (maybe Lois is alone, maybe she and Clark have invited the whole office over only for Intergang to crash the party), but the location must be Home to at least one of the major players and No One can Arrive or Leave during the course of the story.

Extra Bonus Points: Confine the story to the inside of one house/apartment, or even one room.

Well, FoLCs? What say you to a quiet evening in? laugh

ETA: Okay, due to some excellent questions, I'm gonna have to clarify a couple of points.

4. Fics can be any length, any mood, any style, and feature any character as the protagonist.

5. "Home" can be any location from canon or before canon (e.g., Lois' childhood home(s)), but nothing that would be introduced "S5 or later". (e.g., Lois and Clark raising their kids in the Hyperion Ave. house is fine, but the new house they'd eventually buy to accommodate their growing family is not. Alt-Lois' grave from S3 is fine, but our Lois' grave would not be, as she did not die on the show. got it?)

6. All characters used in the story must be in the location. If someone's talking on the phone, we only hear the half spoken by the person on set. No cheating. wink

7. As alluded to in rule #2 and Bonus points, the size of the allowed location can vary from "neighborhood" to "property" to "building" to "suite" to "room", depending on how much you want to impress the rest of us.

Is that all clear, now? laugh

~•~
A
Blogger
Blogger
A
Is there a length rule for challenges?

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by AngelRose:
Is there a length rule for challenges?
Usually not. Whatever length you wish to write. Most people do one-shot vignettes, but if you're inspired to write an epic, those of us in the epic writer's club would love to have you. laugh

On rare occasions, challenges will include a length, such as "1000 words or less" or something like that, but it's spelled out in the rules. It doesn't look like Queenie has such a requirement in this challenge. I think for THIS challenge, making it extra long (with them not being able to leave home) should earn the writer extra bonus points, but that's her call. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
A
Blogger
Blogger
A
Ok thanks smile

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Would it count to use the person's grave as her 'home'? And would the person have to be alive?

peep Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
A
Blogger
Blogger
A
Can they have non-face-to-face contact (via phone say) with others?

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
Depending on the background history for Lois, couldn't that be a lot of places? I don't know if it was ever stated if they lived on base or not (if I'm not mistaken, in Season 2 (or was it three?) Sam's backstory included a stint as a military doctor.)

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
So a play by play poker game.

Framework4
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Just so's ya know, the rules are now adjusted to cover those issues mentioned. Feel free to bring up any new ones. smile

~•~

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard