Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#136577 07/29/13 12:33 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The topic pretty much says it all. What if Clark - be it as himself, or Superman, or Kal-El - lost a limb during some kind of accident?

First of all, such an accident would have to either involve kryptonite and something else (blunt force? a cutting edge?) to cost Clark a limb. Or it would have to happen on New Krypton.

I imagine that it would be pretty awkward for Clark to have to make do with only one hand, but I can sure see him having only one complete leg, for example.

How would Clark deal with the issues of not having a whole body any more? Of being "crippled"? Would he use a prothesis? (Maybe even a Kryptonian one? Or one designed by Doc Klein?) And how would Clark cope with his dual identity?

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#136578 07/29/13 01:42 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
In my story "Love Disabled" Clark came back from New Krypton not entirely whole. He didn't exactly lose a limb, but did suffer loss to part of his leg. (At least I think that's right, it's been a long time since that story was written).

Tank (who wants to let all the gentle readers know that he is working on TOGoM for 2013, but it is taking some time... he's old and slower now)

#136579 07/29/13 02:46 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Ooh. I never thought of that. Definitely would have some complications as far as the dual identity thing goes. People might look past glasses, but if Superman loses a limb and Clark does too in the same time frame, it's not gonna fly. I guess it would really depend on which persona loses it. Clark I can see using a prosthetic limb, particularly if he was the one who lost it in the first place. I have a harder time trying to see Superman losing a limb publicly-- although what a great story *that* would be-- because even though it's plausible that he could operate without a limb, thanks to his extra powers, I don't know how he would cope with it. Superman would be missing a limb, to use a fake might come off as either vain to the public or perhaps untrustworthy (not in that *he* is untrustworthy, but that it might be unsafe to fly people around if he has one plastic arm). That's why I can see it being easier in a way if Clark lost a limb. I can see Dr. Klein coming up with some sort of advanced prosthetic that looks just like a regular one (ala Star Wars) that would cover up for Superman. Though if that was an option, then I don't know why Clark wouldn't try to keep it hidden in both circumstances as best he could and use the advanced limb.

As another aspect, what if Dr. Klein could manipulate Clark's Kryptonian physiology into regrowing said limb? Like the lizard, except without all of the evil-villain aspects... or maybe with it. evil Maybe the new limb doesn't have any superpowers. Maybe it makes him go all Jekyll and Hyde and splits his personality... again.

Or maybe he just walks around armless.

The mental side effects would be daunting, of course. I don't know where to even begin with that one.

Fascinating idea, though.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#136580 07/29/13 03:09 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Just a thought: If Superman lost a limb, he would probably become the L&C equivalent of what Christopher Reeves was in real life: an inspiration for everyone and an advocate for people with disabilities.

Joy,
Lynn

#136581 07/29/13 09:07 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
Just a thought: If Superman lost a limb, he would probably become the L&C equivalent of what Christopher Reeves was in real life: an inspiration for everyone and an advocate for people with disabilities.
I agree. Which is why, if it happened to Superman and it happened publicly, I don't think he would use a prosthetic of any kind, to serve as more inspiration. Clark then would have to, though. He might have some guilt over that, perhaps feel like a hypocrite to pretend to be some kind of hero and then hide his handicap in his other persona.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#136582 07/30/13 03:16 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In The Forgotten by Jenny Debbage Clark loses a finger. A great story.

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
#136583 07/30/13 12:09 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Well, if Clark lost part of his lower leg, he might cover it up with his red boots as Superman. He wouldn't even have to actually use it for walking, as he could just mock-walk while actually levitating. Just saying.

#136584 07/30/13 03:10 PM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I read a fic a while back where Clark came back from New Krypton missing a hand. Dr. Klein made him a robotic hand with a matching glove for his remaining hand so that it looked like he was wearing gauntlets. That way it looked like it was just a new fashion statement from NK. I'm not sure what all the implications are for using a robotic hand with his powers, though. How strong is the hand, and how well is it attached to his arm? How much could he lift before the robotic hand just fell off? How well could he control it - if the hand has fingers and whatnot, how much dexterity would he have?

I like Lara's idea of Superman levitating to hide an injury to his lower leg or foot, but it would be hard to hide if he was missing any of his leg above his boot. If Superman has a prosthetic that he's trying to hide, what happens if it melts or catches fire or breaks? If Superman is publicly maimed and Clark is hiding a prosthetic, what would happen if he's discovered? I could see Clark and Lois hanging out watching a movie or something, and she wonders why he won't take off his shoes and relax and ends up discovering his fake leg.

I think that if Superman could figure out how to hide his injury, it would go a long way to help people not realize that he's Clark. Either way, though, he's likely to be found out.

What about a more subtle injury, not necessarily losing a foot, but something that leaves him with a permanent limp? One persona could hide the limp, but what happens when he's exhausted or not paying attention and limps at the wrong time? Or doesn't limp when he's supposed to?

Another related problem Clark could face is a visible scar. It could be more subtle, like along the hairline or on his hand, or it could be a blatant red mark across his cheek. Would he try to cover it up with makeup, or would he stage an incident in the other persona to just happen to very publicly get injured in the exact same way? Maybe Metallo gets Superman across the face, and it doesn't heal right because of the kryptonite. Then later Clark stages some accident in a public place that gives him an apparent gash across his face, too. Of course that just raises the question of what he would do if the scar did eventually go away. Claim that Superman healed, and Clark got plastic surgery? That's a bit much in the way of "coincidences".

I should stop reading these challenge posts. They give me too many half-formed ideas that I'd love to read if someone wrote it, but I don't have the energy to write myself. I've got too many stories in my head and in progress already that are currently going nowhere; I shouldn't add to my list. :p But it's just too entertaining to read everyone's ideas! smile

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#136585 07/31/13 12:29 PM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Originally posted by Tank:
In my story "Love Disabled" Clark came back from New Krypton not entirely whole. He didn't exactly lose a limb, but did suffer loss to part of his leg. (At least I think that's right, it's been a long time since that story was written).

Tank (who wants to let all the gentle readers know that he is working on TOGoM for 2013, but it is taking some time... he's old and slower now)
Why haven't I read this one before?
From the story above:
(insert your favorite nfic here)
Definitely the best line ever.

/derailment

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard