Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Magical came up with an interesting story premise to illustrate a question she was asking in the fanfic-related folder With her permission, I am elaborating on the premise and turning it into a challenge.

Clark gets a lottery ticket from someone (Martha?), with the stipulation that if he does win, he must spend the winnings on himself. That is, he is not allowed to donate it to charity, to use it to buy anyone else a gift, or to invest it. He must spend it on something that he himself wants. What would it be? Let's say he won $50,000 -- a lot of money, but not enough to buy a house in Metropolis.

I'll get the ball rolling:
1) He might buy a piece of art or two.
2) If he could find a suit of armour that was made with a lead alloy, I could see him buying that and then customizing it as necessary to provide him some protection against kryptonite -- although his cover story would be that he just thought it would be a neat thing with which to decorate his apartment.
3) I recall reading a fanfic in which someone bought Clark a (signed?) first edition of "To Kill a Mockingbird." (My apologies to the author -- I can't remember who wrote it or its title.) Perhaps for this challenge, he might buy himself a signed first edition of a favourite book.
4) A lifetime pass to his favourite Metropolis-based sports teams.

Next? Let's see if we can come up with 100 possible answers.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., The subject line is taken from the title of a comic book centering around gifts for Superman's birthday.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
The subject line is taken from the title of a comic book centering around gifts for Superman's birthday.
That's a great comic book too. So sad what Clark has to sacrifice.

5) A portrait (or nice framed photograph) of Lois. laugh (I don't know if this should be #5 or 1a. I'll leave that up to you, Lynn)

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Virginia,

I agree about that comic being poignant.

I like your idea! #5 it will be. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
6. A little patch of land somewhere up in the artic that he could develop and build a little home-away-from-home on.

7. Fancy sports car (thinking something like camaro here, not lamborghini) to impress Lois with huh

I'm sure there's more... there's gotta be more... hmm. This is tougher than I realized...

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
5a. - A portrait session with his folks to have a family picture with them.

Originally posted by Mouserocks:
6. A little patch of land somewhere up in the artic that he could develop and build a little home-away-from-home on.
I thought Martha said "no property".

7. Fancy sports car (thinking something like camaro here, not lamborghini) to impress Lois with huh
7a - A Motorcycle to go with that nice leather jacket of his. (Normally, I wouldn't recommend this form of transportation but Clark is invulnerable.)

8. A nice lead box, along with a nice collection of lead lined bags.

9. Some seeds and plants for the plot he rents in the community garden. wink

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
10. A weekly delivery of Double Fudge Crunch Bars or monthly gift certificate to the Fudge Castle for Lois.

(Now, before you say that it would really be a gift for Lois, think about what the added benefits of a Lois Lane with an easy access to chocolate would be for her co-workers, especially her partner. evil It's the gift that gives twice.)

11. Hire a fashion consultant to help him design (or choose) his own ties.
11a. 365 new ties for his collection

12. A remodel of his apartment:
12a. - to accommodate a secret Superman closet for his Suits.
12b. - to make it extra secure and less likely to be burglarized by a common street urchant, kicking in his front door.
12c. - add a new deadbolt to his front door.

13. A hide-a-key rock.

14. A new charcoal suit.

15. Dinner at a nice restaurant shared with Lois. [Linked Image]

16. Membership in the Cheese of the Month Club. peep

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
17. Lead-lined Spandex which then could be made into:
17a - gloves
17b - uniform
17c - cape (although it won't look as flowing as his regular one)

18. Lead lined soles for his Super boots

19. Wedding rings for him and Lois.

20. A new tuxedo for those last minute dates / events / stories.

21. Honeymoon in Hawaii

22. Wedding sans Ellen's involvement

23. A high frequency watch for Lois (as seen in GGGoH) - for his peace of mind.

VirginiaR.
---
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
I thought Martha said "no property".
Did she? I saw no investments, though I suppose that's housing too... blush Withdraw?? I'll leave it up to Lynn.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
[b] I thought Martha said "no property".
Did she? I saw no investments, though I suppose that's housing too... blush Withdraw?? I'll leave it up to Lynn. [/b]
I thought the same thing...like he can't put money in a stock. But, if he wanted to, say, buy a piece of land on which to build a house in the future...why not?

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I'm good with the property, since he's buying it for his own current use and not investing in realty for profit or wealth preservation.

I would rule out buying food or travel for Lois, though. Although he would obviously be deriving benefits himself with these, they would only be side effects -- indirect benefits, so to speak. The direct beneficiary of those purchases would be Lois, thereby violating the agreement he had had with the lottery ticket giver. The intent of the lottery ticket giver was that Clark be forced to think only of himself for a change.

Even so, I am impressed by the creative ideas being generated here. It's so hard to think of Clark pampering or indulging himself -- which is precisely the intent of the challenge.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
I would rule out buying food or travel for Lois, though. Although he would obviously be deriving benefits himself with these, they would only be side effects -- indirect benefits, so to speak. The direct beneficiary of those purchases would be Lois, thereby violating the agreement he had had with the lottery ticket giver. The intent of the lottery ticket giver was that Clark be forced to think only of himself for a change.
I'll change this one to:
10. A box of fine chocolates that he doesn't have to share with Lois.

So, he can't use this money to finally ask Lois on that date and take her to a nice restaurant or honeymoon in Hawaii? Even though he's getting both food and hotel stay out it as well? I guess that includes sending Ellen on a two month cruise, huh. What man wouldn't want to be so kind to his intruding mother-in-law? wink

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
rotflol Good questions, Virginia. Nope, not even those things.

I like your alternate #10.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay. Let's see we'll need to change:

15. Dinner out alone at that ***** (5 star) restaurant to see exactly what he's been missing.
15a. Chinese take-out from his favorite hole-in-the-wall in Beijing to fill up his stomach after that meal.

21. A solo vacation in Hawaii to recharge on the beach after that last bout with Kryptonite.

23a - A therapy session with Dr. Friskin after Lois refuses to ever wear the watch.

**Lynn, please let me know if you want me to re-do any of the others.**

24. A magnetic earring to wear, should he ever take up Jimmy's idea to be "cool" or need it to go undercover.

25. A 270' mirror for those tricky hair-cutting jobs.

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
rotflol Your reworked answers are even better than the originals. smile

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
26. A Batman costume to play with everyone's mind.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
26. A Batman costume to play with everyone's mind.
<nearly spews Mountain Dew all over the place>

clap clap hail hail

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

M
Columnist
Columnist
M
27. One hundred extra pairs of glasses

28. Several extra sets of clothes for work, each in a non-descript duffle bag to leave on strategic skyscraper roofs, just in case.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
29. Several memberships in Exotic Junk Food of the Month Clubs. After all, the guy traveled the world AND eats like an 8 year-old. He must miss his favorites in Zimbabwe, Guinea-Bissau and Belarus.

Virginia, #26 is a masterpiece!

Shallowford
C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
So basically he can't buy two tickets to Tahiti and just "happen" to have an extra one? $50,000 is a difficult amount to imagine using all in one or two goes with spending it (in small amounts) for others.

Spend it on a bachelorette auction where Lois is the subject of the date (I'm trying to remember how much the guy from Ireland spent on his date with Lois.). Then again, that would be going against the "no charity" rule, wouldn't it?

*scratching my head*
I know what Lois would suggest:

Lois: Why don't you get a car, Clark? You'd finally be able to get where you need to go without bumming a ride from me or getting ripped off by the cabs.

Of course, we all know he doesn't need one, and I've never gotten the feeling that he really desires one either.

The only thing I can truly imagine him using it on is a townhouse or something along those lines. Knowing how much work he put into the flat he lives at now a fixer-upper would be a cinch for him. I can just imagine Lois's response to his purchase...

Lois:I can't believe you spent all that money on this dump. Couldn't you have just spent it on a down payment instead?

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I love the suggestions everyone is coming up with. Keep them coming. smile

30. A sunbed.

Joy,
Lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard