Print Thread
#135894 12/17/12 02:38 PM
E
EL Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
E
Has anyone ever written a take on Wuthering Heights? Like if LnC didn't actually get together but maybe the next generation did? I've always thought that would make an interesting story, including h

#135895 12/17/12 02:40 PM
E
EL Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
E
Oops my daughter hit send before I was done. What I meant to say was ... Including how the formation of Utopia would be affected. Technically it could still be founded by descendants of Superman and Lois Lane, just indirectly.

#135896 12/17/12 04:19 PM
Kerth
Kerth
OMG! OMG! OMG!

I would absolutely DIE for this! I love Wuthering Heights, it's one of my absolute favorite classic novels! Please, PLEASE somebody write this! I am way to wrapped up in my own stories right now to do this, so please someone else take this plot bunny before it kidnaps all of my other bunnies and leaves me in limbo. grovel OhPleaseOhPleaseOhPleaseOhPlease!!!!

Whew.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
#135897 12/17/12 05:43 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You know, somehow I've totally missed ever reading "Wuthering Heights".

Any comments from the gallery, like "Best book evah!" or "Don't waste your time"? What's the consensus?

#135898 12/17/12 05:57 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:

Any comments from the gallery, like "Best book evah!" or "Don't waste your time"? What's the consensus?
I was forced to read it in high school. The only thing I remember about it was hating it. laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#135899 12/17/12 06:55 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
[b] You know, somehow I've totally missed ever reading "Wuthering Heights".

I was forced to read it in high school. The only thing I remember about it was hating it. laugh [/b]
smile1 hyper

--Mark Twain
#135900 12/17/12 08:13 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Sorry, I'm going to have to agree with Deadly Chakram here. I LOVE "Pride and Prejudice" and all it's sap, banter, and confused romance. clap (I even have it be the book Lois is holding in her hand when Superman stops by in BatP, in "Another Lois".)

But "Wuthering Heights" I found too depressing. It was hard to get into a story where I didn't like either the hero or the heroine.

I don't see how Superman's descendants could start Utopia if Lois and Clark's don't get together? It technically wouldn't be THEIR descendents, but their "souls'" descendents. dizzy

Okay, here's a weird timeline loop suggestion. What if Lois gets pregnant by Clark, and Clark dies of a broken heart because Lois marries another man, who she happens to be engaged to (say Lex, although I believe the man what's-her-name is enagaged to in the novel is more of a Daniel type character). Clark impregnates Lois the night before her wedding to Luthor but then dies in the Kryptonite cage during the wedding. Canon continues with Lex being jailed / or jumping to his demise, whatever. Lois then dies in childbirth (just to make it depressing enough for MouseRocks to read), giving birth to a son, who just happens to be the reincarnated soul of Clark (here's where the aforementioned paradox comes in) and it was THAT child's descendants who technically founded Utopia. shock

EDIT: It would also explain why men always want to marry their mothers. laugh <<okay, that one is a joke, and a bad one at that>>

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#135901 12/17/12 08:35 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
Sorry, I'm going to have to agree with Deadly Chakram here. I LOVE "Pride and Prejudice" and all it's sap, banter, and confused romance. clap (I even have it be the book Lois is holding in her hand when Superman stops by in BatP, in "Another Lois".)
Nooooo!!! (But totally agree on the P&P thing, I read that every winter and then watch the movie(s)... which reminds me...)

But "Wuthering Heights" I found too depressing.
But that's exactly what I love about it! The tortured soul thing... knowing they could never be together, struggling to live on despite that... the image of Heathcliff calling out Catherine's name in the night... <<sighs>> Okay, now that makes *two* books I'll be re-reading this winter.

Okay, here's a weird timeline loop suggestion. What if Lois gets pregnant by Clark, and Clark dies of a broken heart because Lois marries another man, who she happens to be engaged to (say Lex, although I believe the man what's-her-name is enagaged to in the novel is more of a Daniel type character). Clark impregnates Lois the night before her wedding to Luthor but then dies in the Kryptonite cage during the wedding. Canon continues with Lex being jailed / or jumping to his demise, whatever. Lois then dies in childbirth (just to make it depressing enough for MouseRocks to read), giving birth to a son, who just happens to be the reincarnated soul of Clark (here's where the aforementioned paradox comes in) and it was THAT child's descendants who technically founded Utopia.
Ooh... You're right Virginia. I would read that. laugh
It would also explain why men always want to marry their mothers.
clap

--Mark Twain
#135902 12/17/12 09:13 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
<sneaks in>

I didn't like P&P either, or Tale of Two Cities. I do loves me some Shakepeare though. My tops are Hamlet, MacBeth and King Lear, pretty much in that order.

Erm, I do love the Illiad and the Odyssey though. And The Epic of Gilgamesh.

<runs before Mouse can brain her with a basebat bat> laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#135903 12/17/12 09:25 PM
Kerth
Kerth
<sneaks in>

I didn't like P&P either, or Tale of Two Cities. I do loves me some Shakepeare though. My tops are Hamlet, MacBeth and King Lear, pretty much in that order.

thumbsup And I must admit, while I love learning about Greek myth, Illiad/Odyssey were not my faves, so I guess you could come after me for that. peep

--Mark Twain
#135904 12/18/12 03:26 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Mouserocks:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
<strong> <sneaks in>

thumbsup And I must admit, while I love learning about Greek myth, Illiad/Odyssey were not my faves, so I guess you could come after me for that. laugh laugh Nah, I won't go after you. The Illiad isn't my favorite thing. But I do love The Odyssey. Have you ever tried Edith Hamilton's Mythology? It's one of those "read before you die" books - universally acknowledged as awesome.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#135905 12/18/12 07:25 PM
Kerth
Kerth
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
<strong> <sneaks in>

thumbsup And I must admit, while I love learning about Greek myth, Illiad/Odyssey were not my faves, so I guess you could come after me for that. laugh laugh Nah, I won't go after you. The Illiad isn't my favorite thing. But I do love The Odyssey. Have you ever tried Edith Hamilton's Mythology? It's one of those "read before you die" books - universally acknowledged as awesome. [/b]
Actually, I have. laugh I really did enjoy that book, it was succinct and still told the stories really well. But still not my favorite subject matter. :p

--Mark Twain
#135906 12/18/12 07:40 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
<strong> <sneaks in>

thumbsup And I must admit, while I love learning about Greek myth, Illiad/Odyssey were not my faves, so I guess you could come after me for that. laugh laugh Nah, I won't go after you. The Illiad isn't my favorite thing. But I do love The Odyssey. Have you ever tried Edith Hamilton's Mythology? It's one of those "read before you die" books - universally acknowledged as awesome. [/b]
Actually, I have. laugh I really did enjoy that book, it was succinct and still told the stories really well. But still not my favorite subject matter. :p [/b]
You get points (and a cookie) for trying! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

#135907 12/22/12 05:07 PM
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Hopefully Lois at least entrusts her child to Martha and Jonathan at birth so that he can be raised by people who will protect his identity.

Of course, after Superman dies in the cage, will Clark's identity be protected? Did CK tell him that he is SM as they were making love?

The whole thing still sounds crazy depressing, so I will say right now I will not read it. Of course, that is what I said about "Long, Strange Trip" on multiple occasions, but I gave in and read it this week so I could understand the context of "Strangers in a Staange Land" having read a new installment posted this last week, so who knows. Still, although that story is so harrowing I am half shocked it made it is not in the nfic archive (well, there might be a version there to, I am shocked that there is a version that isn't, well I guess the story avoids explaining the horrors, but still) it is on the whole a postive story, even if it is quite hard to get through.

John Pack Lambert
#135908 12/23/12 04:51 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wuthering Heights? Really?

Loved P&P and S&S. Hated Emma.

Count of Monte Cristo? Hmmm, now that might have potential. The latest movie version was waaay cool! Top drawer cast and excellent writing.

No, I have no idea how to put Lois and Clark into the tale of Heathcliff and Cathy. Clark is a wonderful worrier, but dark and brooding? Nope, can't see it happening.

If someone does take this on, my hat is off to them. My husband struggled through Wuthering Heights and said it was too much for him. This from a man who read Crime and Punishment and thought it was a good 'light' read.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard