Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#134217 05/18/10 05:00 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This isn't so much a challenge as a pondering. Hubby and I were discussing Clark's metabolism and the fact that he doesn't have to work out and can eat whatever he likes (and that the rest of us therefore want to slap him) and I mentioned that, at least in the movie-verse, Clark generates more body heat than other people. To which hubby replies, "I bet he'd really show up on infrared images."

So, here's the idea for the engineers among us to ponder--what would happen if Clark were outed as Superman because he showed up so brightly in some infrared image? Why is he being monitored with infrared cameras? And by whom? I have no idea. It's just a thought.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Man, that's a really good idea! And it might "out" Clark as Superman - always a hot button.

Now you're making me think... but no! I have three other fics I'm working on right now (somehow I got myself into that swamp) and no!no!no! no more plotbunnies!

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Cool thought!

Anyone writing such a piece should probably rewatch "Stop the Presses," since it deals with his aura in the infrared spectrum.

A thought I had had along similar lines -- an updated version of Top Copy, in which Superman is tagged with a more modern GPS locator. With today's more sophisticated technology, it would be a *lot* harder for Clark to keep his secret.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I worked on the early infrared cameras that are now in common use on aircraft and helicopters, and in general they aren't sensitive enough to distinguish Clark from a human that is running. He's hotter, but he'd have to be almost hot enough to burn someone else to alert any software in a delta change. The image doesn't have enough thermal resolution to tell the difference.
But go for a story anyway.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Artemis:
I worked on the early infrared cameras that are now in common use on aircraft and helicopters, and in general they aren't sensitive enough to distinguish Clark from a human that is running. He's hotter, but he'd have to be almost hot enough to burn someone else to alert any software in a delta change. The image doesn't have enough thermal resolution to tell the difference.
But go for a story anyway.
cool
Artemis
Not sure that's still true. I have a catalogue here with several hand-held thermal imaging cameras, as used by central heating engineers etc, the screen shows an area equivalent to a normal sort of camera viewfinder, and the exact temperature at the crosshairs in the middle of the screen, with a claimed accuracy of 0.1 degrees. That's the cheap model, with resolution about equivalent to a cheap webcam, costs about £1700 (around $2500), which makes them affordable by keen hobbyists. It uses standard SD cards so you can take photos and they are saved with all of the data on temperature. There are more expensive cameras with higher sensor resolution, of course.

A few years ago one of the London papers published photos of various well-known public buildings showing how much heat they were wasting. Now if Jimmy was given a similar assignment and played with the camera in the office, got a picture that included Clark, and then got the chance to image Superman and noticed the identical temperature...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good info, Marcus. But back in 1993-97 they wouldn't have been that accurate and cheap. But still, that sounds like a set up for a good story.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
In 1993 we weren't sending colonists to orbit, building human clones, or doing any of the other "futuristic" things Bernie Klein was always coming up with. I think the idea with Jimmy playing with a Star Labs infrared camera and accidentally picking up Clark's warmer aura works.

Hey, maybe that's one of the reasons women were always so attracted to Clark - because he was always so warm to them!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Features Writer
Features Writer
If his body temperature was that much more than human, wouldn't people notice it? He shakes hands, kisses Lois and does other things involving bodily contact with people. You'd think they'd at least comment on his being feverish...

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
@All: Clark being the Kryptonian Intergalactic Superman of Mystery he is, can control his body though. His heartbeat and therefore his blood pressure are controllable -- that's canon. I think it'd be as easy if not easier for him to control his body temp as Clark. wink

Go Clark! party

Just got married (21st June 2010).
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've always figured that Clark could see the infrared spectrum.

Sayo, are you playing with your avatar picture or am I going nuts yet again?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
@Classicalla: yep, I'm playing with it. laugh

Yeah, I think Clark can see in the infrared spectrum too, if he likes. It's just one of the wonderful things he can do, I think. smile

Just got married (21st June 2010).
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Saori Tanaka:
@All: Clark being the Kryptonian Intergalactic Superman of Mystery he is, can control his body though. His heartbeat and therefore his blood pressure are controllable -- that's canon. I think it'd be as easy if not easier for him to control his body temp as Clark. wink
So I guess it would have to be some time that he wasn't concentrating or something... he HAS fallen asleep at the Planet at least once (ILTY, course that is VERY early on to have him "outed" I suppose you could make up another time later in the series, or after). Doesn't your body temperature rise when you are sleeping anyways, too?

-Breanna

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard