Next Thread
Print Thread
#134211 05/13/10 07:33 AM
B
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
B
Hey all of you guys, I just had an idea for a story, but i am terrible at writing.
The premise is that Clark met Doctor Who before he became superman, and so the Doctor gave him contacts with a perception filter to wear as superman, and glasses that cancel the filter when he is Clark. Also, I would prefer for the doctor to be during either the David Tennant era or the Matt Smith one. They could save the universe together sometimes or something.

#134212 05/13/10 10:34 PM
Kerth
Kerth
The trouble with any Doctor Who crossover (and believe me I've thought about it many times) is that you end up marginalising either Superman or the Doctor.

If you want to keep the Doctor as an important character, you have to explain how the Daleks, cybermen, and dozens of other alien races are able to invade without Superman stopping them. Not to mention things like the "year that wasn't" when the Master ruled the world. It only works if every Dr. Who crisis begins with the bad guys capturing Superman or otherwise taking him out.

The alternative is that Superman smashes up the alien invaders as soon as they arrive, which doesn't really leave much for The Doctor to do.

I'd love to be proved wrong on this, but there are a LOT of problems.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#134213 05/14/10 12:47 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
The trouble with any Doctor Who crossover (and believe me I've thought about it many times) is that you end up marginalising either Superman or the Doctor.
I can think of one possibility here: The villains have Kryptonite. Do we know what powers the Cybermen? If not, we could posit that they are powered by Kryptonite, in the same way as Johnny Corben's arm.

Clark would be able to help from a distance -- He could use his super hearing and vision, for example, but he couldn't get too close to them.

cheers,
Lynn

#134214 05/14/10 10:46 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
I can think of one possibility here: The villains have Kryptonite. Do we know what powers the Cybermen? If not, we could posit that they are powered by Kryptonite, in the same way as Johnny Corben's arm.

Clark would be able to help from a distance -- He could use his super hearing and vision, for example, but he couldn't get too close to them.

cheers,
Lynn
Well yes, but you could say that for any incident involving kryptonite - it's really only a threat to Clark because he doesn't expect to run into it routinely, and doesn't have precautions ready. If he can stay out of range of the radiation, it isn't really very dangerous. And there's a LOT that Clark can do from a suitable distance - we don't see it much in the show because it seems less heroic than hand-to-hand combat, but a few tons of e.g. quick setting concrete or ball bearings dropped where the Cybermen are trying to walk could seriously spoil their day. Lots of other possibilities.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#134215 05/15/10 02:58 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Well yes, but you could say that for any incident involving kryptonite - it's really only a threat to Clark because he doesn't expect to run into it routinely, and doesn't have precautions ready.
No arguments here. This would definitely stick close to canon. And isn't that a good thing?

And there's a LOT that Clark can do from a suitable distance - we don't see it much in the show because it seems less heroic than hand-to-hand combat, but a few tons of e.g. quick setting concrete or ball bearings dropped where the Cybermen are trying to walk could seriously spoil their day.
<chuckle> Good point. But there are ways around that from a story-telling perspective. For example, if there would be human "collateral damage" (to use the militaristic euphemism), Clark would be extremely hesitant to try your suggestions. Or perhaps he is in Clark's garb and can't get away to change into the Suit. Instead of revealing his secret, he might be able to come up with a plan that would rely on the Doctor's assistance.

BTW, Wendy Richards wrote a very light-hearted story which is a Doctor Who/ Superman/ EastEnders crossover; it is called
At Wit\'s End in the East End

cheers,
Lynn

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard