Next Thread
Print Thread
#134022 09/28/09 06:30 AM
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
My daughter was reading educational factoids to me yesterday and one stuck in my head. Apparantly owls are the only birds that can see the color blue.

It got me to thinking. I wonder how the bird-life responds when Superman flies sans cape. This screams vignette to me, but my writing well is dry.

Elisabeth

#134023 09/28/09 11:10 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Uhm, this "fact" is fiction, more likely. Because, let's face it, *all* birds have far better color sight than humans. It is rather well-known that humans possess cells to see three different colors,namely red, green and blue. All other colors are seen as a mix of the three above. (That's why our TV and PC monitors are based on those three colors.)

Most birds, on the other hand, possess four different cone cells for color sight, one each for red, green, blue and UV. Additionally, birds have the benefit that they have droplets of oil in their cone cells (responsible for seeing color) that filter the light, enhancing the birds' ability to discern between small nuances of color.

(Although it is very likely that nocturnal birds like owls don't possess all four kinds of cone cells. Pigeons, on the other hand, are believed to be pentachromates, using five different kinds of cone cells for discerning colors.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#134024 09/29/09 08:36 AM
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
How annoying! Most of the time I check for references before passing info along, but since this came from such a reputable site I didn't bother to doublecheck.

This is probably like that scandal awhile back where so many big-named newspapers were caught getting their info from wikipedia rather than looking it up. Some educational exec probably got an e-mail chain somewhere and posted it as a fact, and now I'm the one with egg on my face.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd rather someone politely state the truth than look idiotic because nobody told me.

Elisabeth

#134025 09/30/09 07:07 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Don't feel too bad, Elisabeth. Don't they say that fully 90% of all 'facts' on the internet are complete nonsense? Or something like that. That fact is probably wrong. laugh We're all bound to get caught out now and then at that rate!

Maybe someone could write a story about an owl who is firmly convinced that only he can see Superman flitting around and the other birds are too kind to disabuse him of the notion. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#134026 09/30/09 07:52 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
peep

Um, if a bird wouldn't see for instance blue and Superman is just wearing his blue suit sans cape, the bird would see a white *) suit. It's the same as if a surface would only reflects UV-light, for instance. The object does not become invisible **)

Michael smile

*) IIRC, but could be black if I got it exactly the other way around.
**) Unless it's in the Superman universe, where such a suit would in fact make you invisible until sprinkled with phosphor.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#134027 09/30/09 09:17 AM
Kerth
Kerth
True, an object within a color range we cannot see would not be invisible. Instead, it would seem black to us (because what we perceive as black is the lack of visible light).

#134028 09/30/09 03:26 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh, is that where the black NK suit comes from?

#134029 10/01/09 07:06 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, it might be brigthly colored in infrared or ultraviolet, but we poor humans cannot "receive" these colors. Although people with an artificial lens are said to be able to see parts of both, but only that which is close to the "normal" range of human vision.

#134030 10/01/09 10:15 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Quite a few flowers to us look like a single color but to bees who see UV they have a pattern, often a bullseye that attracts them to the center.

#134031 10/02/09 08:56 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Quite often, flowers also have stripes showing the way to the center.

#134032 10/04/09 06:00 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
That's because, unlike Clark, the bees need someone to draw them a diagram. devil

This *is* my happily ever after.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard