Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#133742 12/30/08 05:01 AM
BJ Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
While I was reading Nan's _Lessons_ on the fanfic mbs, an "I wonder..." thought popped into my head. When Lois spoke to Clark about how accurate the space agency is when they program the launches - excluding human error - I wondered why the rocket *did* miss (other than messing up the episode plotline).

What if Lois or Clark got a tip that the calculation error was intentional? What if they followed-up on it and discovered that the Asgard rocket missed the asteroid because Lex wanted it to miss?

It's not much, but it might be an interesting angle to take on this episode and the remainder of Season 1.

#133743 12/30/08 05:07 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Interesting. Of course, no matter how megalomaniac Lex is, I think he would far more enjoy controlling a fully functional world than a nuclear wasteland.

And as for the mistake... Well, there is the Mars lander that got lost because someone mixed imperial and metric units. And I don't think that's an urban myth unless nobody thought to fix wikipedia.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
#133744 12/31/08 09:24 AM
L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Oh that is very true Michael... and even when such glaring errors aren't made things still go wrong... Mars especially has had it's share of failures... and successes... the two rovers were supposed to last for what, 90 days? And they are still going (last I heard) after about five years now? And Mars Polar Lander is probably a crater somewhere...

more info on Mars Climate Orbiter, ~.^
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msp98/news/mco990930.html

Another of my favorites, Genesis:
http://genesismission.jpl.nasa.gov/

It crashed but I think we still got a few samples from it..

Sara "Lieta"
#133745 01/21/09 01:00 AM
L
L Offline
Columnist
Columnist
L
In the most excellent cartoon "Danny Phantom", in the series finale movie: Phantom Planet, the reason why the rockets missed the asteroid was because the bad guy who funded the rescue mission (with the rockets) programmed in the wrong coordinates deliberately

His plan was to make the man he hated look like an idiot and also to make the world turn over absolute authority to him in order for him to step in and save the day (Being half ghost, half human, he was going to turn the asteroid intangible)

Turns out the thing was made of a substance ghosts can't touch.

Danny Phantom saved the day (despite having given up his half ghostness early in the episode to keep the people he loved safe - much to the major consternation of his best female friend who he secretly had a big 'thing' for ) by turning the earth intangible with a lot of help from humans and ghosts.

Turned his reputation around (due to some bad setups from villains, the "ghost kid" was labelled public enemy #1 early on and constantly hunted by his parents-the-ghost-hunters) and finally was able to drop his secret identity to the people he cared about

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard