Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#133645 08/02/08 07:08 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
...because the one thing the boards need right now is more challenges! goofy

Okay, seriously now: You know how in cooking-contest type shows, the contestants will be given an ingredient to work with, but otherwise can make whatever they want?

Basically, I'm gonna toss out a theme, and y'all who are interested can write a fic around it. Come to think of it, I think we had a drabble thread like this some time ago. The difference, though, is that the fics can be of any length. Also, they will be due in one month. (Sept 3.)

When your dishes--er, fics---are done, link to them in this thread. Linked stories will then be entered into a poll for judging.

Sound ok?

Da Rules:

1. Fics must use the theme ingredient. *How* it is used is up to the author, but its influence must be detectable at the very least.

2. Fics can be any length, but must be completed and linked here in their entirety by Sept. 3

3. Fics must be PG13 or under, so as to keep the voting field even (IE, not everyone can read Nfic, and Nfics may therefore lose votes to Gfics.) Nfics may form their own contest, if so desired.

4. Anyone who wishes to respond to the challenge but does not wish to compete may do so; just post your fic as normal without placing the link in this thread.

5. Only linked fics will be judged

6. Fics can be of any type (waff, angst, comedy, revelation, nextgen, death, etc) and focus on any character(s).

7. Winner gets a hearty congratulations, and whatever random FoLCs decide to shower him/her with.

Still reading? Good. smile

Today's secret ingredient is:
Shiboleth

From Answers.com:
1. A word or pronunciation that distinguishes people of one group or class from those of another.
2. A word or phrase identified with a particular group or cause; a catchword.
A commonplace saying or idea.
3. A custom or practice that betrays one as an outsider.

[Ultimately from Hebrew šibbōlet, torrent of water, from the use of this word to distinguish one tribe from another that pronounced it sibbōlet (Judges 12:4–6).]
Any questions? cool

~•~
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
can you put that in a sentence? confused still not getting it that well...

Sarah,

Tempus: You want to know the future, Miss Lane? No one works, no one argues, there are 9,000 channels and nothing on!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Take the word provided - Shiboleth in this case - and write a fic around its theme.

Which reminds me - what happened to Jojo's Drabble Challenge? I was enjoying those!

LabRat smile (who is also fairly sure JoJo still owes her some of those for the Archive....)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by mishmishat:
can you put that in a sentence? confused still not getting it that well...
Sure! (To be honest, the Answers.com definition sort of confuses me too, and I already *know* what the word means. dizzy Perhaps I should have gone with something else...)

Anyway, Shiboleth---I've gotten conflicting data on what it actually means (a torrent of water? a grain plant?) so that'll be left up to your own research, if you choose to take the word literally. As for what the word was *used* for, in olden times, the ancient Hebrews (it was them, right?) would use this word to sniff out enemy spies from some other tribe whose name I can't remember, because the enemies couldn't pronounce the word.

Thus, in modern times, a "shiboleth" (aside from being whatever it actually is in Hebrew) is something that you use to verify that so-and-so is an outsider, maybe even an imposter!

Does that help at all? huh

Here's Wikipedia\'s take on the subject .

And a related article from the TV Tropes Wiki ; particularly if you scroll down to the Truth In Television WWII examples

~•~
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Clark felt like a shiboleth while with the New Kryptonians?

Carol

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by carolm:
Clark felt like a shiboleth while with the New Kryptonians?

Carol
More likely, he would have failed a New Kryptonian shibboleth.

Here's a good example:
Suppose Lois is people watching at Metro U and sees a "fashionable young blonde" wearing clothes that are 10 years out of style. The clothing shibboleths the girl as being from a hick from a small town. wink

~•~
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
There's an absolutely wonderful West Wing episode on this subject. Not that that's here or there, I'm just saying. smile

Lisa, whose muse has found this topic very interesting

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
2 weeks, ladies and gents. How's the writing coming? laugh

~•~
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Getting closer, folcs. Anyone still wanna join in? You have until the 3rd.

~•~
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Two days! Write a Shiboleth fic, post it, and link to it here! laugh

~•~

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard