Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#132562 11/19/07 06:52 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well? You like? cool

If not, it's okay; I was just trying something new. So what worked for you? What didn't? Did the whole thing just suck? help

Comments, please. grovel

Moving On - A Scavenger Hunt Fic

~•~
#132563 11/20/07 04:38 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Loved how you wove in the references to the conditions, i.e. The Hobbit. But I have to say having Barney sing about periods was just rotflol rotflol rotflol .

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#132564 11/20/07 05:49 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have to agree with woody here the Period song was...priceless.

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
#132565 11/20/07 07:10 PM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
This would have been easier if Clark had been here to help, she thought with a snort. As it was, though, Clark *wasn't* there. He was off to somewhere for some stupid reunion. At first, she'd thought he was going back to Smallville to see his parents, and maybe his old friends Pete and Lana. Lois was surprised to learn that Clark would be in Metropolis with some college buddies and an old flame.

*Lois* had seen flames when she saw that photo of Lori. Lori Lemaris---a crippled yet beautiful woman with an irritatingly smug expression, looking up from the photo as though *gloating* to Lois that Clark's arm was around her...! Lois kicked her suitcase, which caused the latch to come undone. The lid flew up, scattering clothes all over her living room.
Max bonus points for tossing Lori in somehow. Especially with the suitcase and Lois grumbling is spot on.

/"...leaving the penguins in the charge of a local zookeeper. Coming up next, a special episode of Barney the Dinosaur..."/
At first I thought this was good since you were killing two birds with one stone so to speak. But then....

/~...start bleeding once a month,
Once a month,
Once a month!
Girls start bleeding once a month,
That's -- Your -- Period... ~/
... I didn't expect anyone to carry it throughout the story - that was awesome!

Lois wandered into the kitchen to make sure everything was cleaned out. Lucy had stopped by earlier to help Lois eat the rest of her perishables. Upon opening the refridgerator, Lois found that the only thing left was a tub of butter -- slightly over one pound.
What is going to happen to the butter? What? What? She left it on the table - will there be a civilization developing when she gets back? By the way where is she going? Or does that not matter?

Just what was she supposed to do with a pound of Irish butter?!
Irish butter qualifies as something foreign by the way but then you tossed Claude in as well for good measure.

The seat was comfortable enough, as far as airplane seats go. Perry had sprung for a decent airline this time. After that last award-winning fiasco, she more than deserved it.
The airline!!! Yay!! I think you had everything by now. Except for...

She fastened her sealtbelt, then rumaged in her purse for the book she'd brought. Other passengers were still boarding as she flipped through to her earmarked page and found the sentence she'd left off at. Ah, yes---the monster's riddle. 'This thing all things devours...'
... the fantasy novel! Which one was it? Enquiring minds want to know.

"...Claude?"
Oh dear God - bonus points for including someone who never appeared on the show but was mentioned and who never turned up in the comics!!! Max bonus points!!!

"It's all right," she said. She turned to face Claude again. "As I was saying, *Rochert*, I have moved on, and I've moved on to *bigger* and *better* things."

With that, she smugly turned and walked away with her fiance, whose arm came around her shoulders as they left the crowd.
Awesome!!! clap If my challenge prompted you to write such a cool story I am so glad I posted it!!!

I guess this puts pressure on me to post my entry for my own challenge huh?

Cheers, The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
#132566 11/20/07 09:00 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
If you didn't catch it, the line from the novel is among the riddles in the riddle game somewhere in the middle of The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's a prequel to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

As for the entire riddle,

This thing all things devours
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers
Gnaws iron, bites steel
Grinds hard stones to meal
Slays king, ruins town
Brings high mountain down

Anyone want to *guess* the answer? (That means no one who's read the answer from the book.)

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#132567 11/22/07 12:35 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Woody! I completely forgot to cite the book at the end. Do I lose points for that? eek

LT: Glad you enjoyed! smile

Funny thing---the Day after I posted the fic, MadTv did a sketch spoofing those old 50's educational shorts. The subject, of course, was "girly time". goofy

~•~
#132568 11/23/07 05:25 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
That was awesome!

I like how it ended too.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#132569 12/04/07 09:07 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Nice story. And I agree, the Barney song was priceless! thumbsup

I have one question though, very minor. What did Clark need to talk to Lois about?
He stammered. "Well, I was talking to Lori, and---uh....Lois, there's some things we need to discuss..."
Again, very entertaining story! smile

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
#132570 12/04/07 01:07 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally posted by minimunch3:

I have one question though, very minor. What did Clark need to talk to Lois about?

~Kristen
Someone post another scavenger hunt challenge, and I'll tell you. laugh

~•~
#132571 05/12/09 09:19 AM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Here's my answer to the riddle:

"Water"?

The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....