Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
see, I was watching Miss Saigon the other day (really good production, and a really sad story...)

and I started to think how it would fit as a fanfic for L&C...

wow, I know... I think that means I am a confirmed addict or something....

anyways
I was thinking either a 2nd gen thing, with Junior going off to fight in a New Krypton battle, just like dad did at end of s3

or it could be just a "regular" Alt-Uni fic, with Lois and Zara being the two women-- but this option would be very challenging

so,
any takers (I really don't have the time, as in EVER to write something of this magnitude) but it seemed like it could be a very moving story to go along with the multitude of valuable and highly emotional works on the archive....

I love tear jerkers...but mostly I love the stories that deal with social-justice type issues
)Wish I knew a breaking heart moticon for here

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Top Banana
Top Banana
I've never seen Miss Saigon, but if it is even half as powerful as Madame Butterfly which it takes its book from, it must be good. Butterfly's aria when she commits suicide because of the loss of her
baby and Pinkerton's betrayal and abandonment is one of the most heartbreaking moments in opera - or any cultural format. It's the haunting sadness of that moment that always kept me from seeing Miss Saigon.

Lieutenant Pinkerton was such an evil character. So I'm thinking that's a good role for Lex Luthor.
Lois I could see as the outsider, in Vietnam (update that and make it Iraq, Afghanistan?) a reporter, at the start of her career, who sees how Lex is using the 'bargirl' (or Butterfly), knowing that he's engaged (or married) to a wealthy socialite back in the US.
I'll add in Clark - in his world travel, pre DP days - who meets Lois when he accidentally rescues her from some Jaws of Death experience and he decides to stick around for a bit, etc.

Luthor I see in the military or as head of a private security outfit or some diplomatic post using that as a cover for black-market arms dealing or drug trafficking or ....) He's on the cusp of his future full blown evilness.

Lois gets more involved when she's decides to write the story of the bargirls - doing so, she gets to know Butterfly and her new baby, etc.

Anyway, there's more but it's early in the morning.

BUt I know Bill Henderson is in this story, in some brief but brilliant way.

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
OR:

How about a role reversal thing - make the 'bargirl' a local interpreter who gets involved with the female army lieutenant, who unknown to him is married to a very proper, mom-approved guy back home. But it's war, and she's both lonely and feeling a tad sexually unsatisified - so she starts a torrid affair (see nfic folder for the inappropriate chapter with the local interpreter.) She goes through a form of marriage with the interpretor, as Pinkerton did with Butterfly.

Pregnancy strikes!

Boy back home shows up - wants both the lieutenant and the baby, and thinks killing the interpreter would be good too.

I'm having trouble with the Lnc casting on this one, though, because it strikes me as Out of Character for Lois to be the Pinkerton character. She was just never that sleazy. I don't see her as a bigamist either. And would Clark get involved with a married woman? Even if it were Lois?

Okay, so maybe make Cat the Lieutenant and JImmy the interpretator. (or Scardino?)

Bill Henderson is typecast as a brilliant cop (MP) investigating the interpretor's death - is it suicide or murder?

Clark is a hard-bitten reporter but really mild-mannered (i.e. no super-powers) for the DP, covering the death of the interpreter - the story is told in the first person, through his eyes. Lois is also there, but as TV journalist who suspects that Butterfly's death is More Than What It Seems.

Title: Death of an Interpreter or Un Bel Di Not laugh

(am thinking all the LnC characters are wildly out of character in this scenario, )

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
OR:

The NK version: - involving L & C's son, Zara and Ching's daughter.

Junior goes to the Homeland to fight for his side of the genetic package in yet another NK version of the Wars of The Roses. He is married or engaged.

Meets Zara junior, is lonely and in need of a bit of sexual exercise - ignoring the offer of the handy corner concubine shop, he goes for Zara Junior. But he must marry her first. No problem - he does so.

War ends after massive and horrific slaughter - Junior goes home but without Zara J who is pregnant.

Back home, he finds out he and his wife are sterile - but he knows where he has a spare baby - so off he goes to NK to get the baby, telling Zara J he's returning for her and the child.

He leaves with the baby, but not her - she's lost everything - she kills herself.

Junior's wife gratefully accepts her husband's child, submissively overlooks his infidelity and all seems fine in Junior's wolrd.

But it festers, and Junior's wife can't get Zara Junior, as well as what she imagines must have been Z.J.'s pain and anguish to have been, out of her head, where the melody of Un Bel Di is slowly driving her mad.

So one morning she makes a decision - she begins to slip a little powdered Kryptonite in every desert that Junior eats. In 6 months he's dead.

Because it is Junior who dies at the end, this story would be a deathfic for some people and so would have a warning at the beginning.) Should I have placed it at the beginning of this scenario, I wonder?

Anyway, still haven't figured out Bill Henderson's role, but he is in it.

c.

Merriwether
Merriwether
So you're writing this story, Carol?

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
looks like she's writing 3 of them....

yes Miss saigon is just as heartbreaking...
and I really felt for the characters because it centres around the refugee theme (which is very close to my grandparents' generation, while fleeing from post ww2 Europe, one of them spent a good number of years in a camp in Shanghai...)

I guess this is one of the reasons I felt so moved by Miss Saigon...

However, in miss Saigon the male protagonist (Chris) was not evil, only deeply affected emotionally by the war in Vietnam...

He does not reject Kim, but gets separated from her due to the war, and later remarries when back in the US... so I guess this is where the stories may differ a little (I have no knowledge of the Madam Butterfly story, except that M.Saigon was based on it)..

Thus I don't think that Luthor would fit here... but I do think that Henderson would fit nicely as Chris's superior (was he a Major in the army?) ... I think his name was "John" in M.Saigon...

John's aria: Boi Duoy (spelling?) about the illegitimate children of US marines, which opens the second act, is a very moving one... the production I saw coupled this with a video montage of such orphans, pictured on a large screen behind the stage...

it almost broke my heart

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Top Banana
Top Banana
The stories of the women and the babies that got "left behind" or "separated" from the men whom they loved are always heartbreaking. The men seem to move on, but the women have a more difficult time - often left with children in cultures which have or had a harsher attitude to children born outside marriage or of mixed race parents.

It sounds like Miss Saigon has whitewashed Pinkerton a bit and cut the Butterfly suicide from the story. I don't know whether I think that's a betrayal of the opera's edge or whether it's just smart marketing. smile

Still think a young Lex Luthor could be the Miss Saigon 'Pinkerton', Chris, though.

No, I won't write it - writing is a very hard thing for me to do. I was just playing around with a couple of scenarios based on the challenge. If anyone should be interested in those scenarios, go ahead.

c.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard