Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
on the NEW ENGLISH thread from Fanfic related...

I commented on the quality of language teaching in English language countries. Both the teaching of English grammar itself, and of Languages other than English (LOTE-Education)

so
I challenge anybody who's FIRST (and native) Language is English (E.g. Britain, u.s.a., Canada, Australia....etc.) to write a (short) fic. in ANY LOTE of their choice

then I would like for other native English speaking FOLCs out there to try and translate this (these?) story (stories) back into English...

I thought about it a little and think it would be fun if you sent me these directly and I would post them here for you 1 week after the original LOTE story was posted, especially if there are any differences between translations between the FOLCs...

bon chance et bon composé (my really poor attempt at French... without any dictionaries I might add, it was only for show...)

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
NOTE
The whole purpose of this challenge is to challenge the multi-lingual skills of native English speakers

I am unsure if it counts were you born in an English speaking country to bi-lingual parents,

but English has to have been your first language,
and preferably you had limited exposure to the 2nd language,
i.e. I do not think it counts if you had lived in France for 30 years... but I do acknowledge you had to learn the language somewhere, and it would not work if you used only a dictionary, and no real experience with the language

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Top Banana
Top Banana
Would it also count if I write a story in a language besides my own and English?

For example, I've been taught German and French as well, but I don't speak that nearly as fluent as Dutch and English.

I'm pretty sure there are more FoLCs like me out there. So just wondering.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
oh, wait... I should learn to read... you want people whose first language is English to write in another. (DUH)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
yes Saskia I guess it would count...

Really I am looking for stories written in languages other than the author's native language.....

and since this site is primarily in English

but one main aim is to see if people who speak that other language (Say French, as we have a few Francophones here) could tell the difference between native French stories and French as a 2nd language...

because most of you guys who do write in English as non-native's are really very good at it, and I thought it would be an interesting comparison between education systems...

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
As much as I actually count I'm not much use in the Chinese department because when it comes to that English comes across to most people when they meet me as my first language. They are actually surprised to hear me speak Chinese!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard