Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#130729 07/25/06 12:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to read some kind of crossover story where three or four of the different versions of Clark Kent/Superman (George Reeves old fashioned hero, the Christoper Reeve protector of Earth, Dean Cain's everyman Clark-is-who-I-am,Superman-is-what-I-can-do, Tom Welling's broody teenager, and Brandon Routh's atoning redemtion seeker) meet and have to deal with something so big that it takes all of them combined to stop it and save the day. Extra Lois' are optional, as are Jimmy's, Perry's, Kents, etc. All action either takes place in the L&C-Verse, or across multiple universes. No moving between more than three dimensions.

Starting points for each version are: GR= After final episode of AOS. Chris Reeve= After Superman IV. Dean Cain= After Swear To God, This Time We're Not Kidding, but before Family Hour. TW= After Jonathan Kent's death. BR= After Superman Returns.

Villians are up to you, but make them EVIL!!!

Look up in the sky! Is it a flock of birds? Is it a bunch of airplanes? No it's the Supermen.....

#130730 07/26/06 11:45 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Extra Lois' are optional,
my feminist heart weeps

c.

#130731 07/26/06 02:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
omg I really hope someone takes this challenge it sounds great to me.

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
#130732 07/26/06 04:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by ccmalo:
Extra Lois' are optional,
my feminist heart weeps

c.
It has nothing to do with sexual politics, and everything to do with the best possible story. Besides, who'd wanna read about the Margot Kidder Lois? She was a pure bitca. The only good Lois was Teri's in my humble opinion.

Oh and thanks Ambar....

#130733 07/26/06 10:52 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It has nothing to do with sexual politics,
LOL - pretty much *everything* in pop culture where the key figures are a man and woman is about sexual politics.

bitca? not sure what that means.

Agree with you about TH being the best Lois, though. smile

BTW, why did you chose that particular time slot for Dean Cain's CK/S and for Wellin's portrayal?

c

#130734 07/27/06 02:50 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Jensguy, how about posting this challenge on a site which is dedicated to *Superman*? This site is, supposedly at least, dedicated to *Lois* and Clark. I have to second Carol - my feminist heart weeps at your idea of a multitude of Supermen and possibly, if we are lucky, one Lois. But she doesn't really need to be in the story, does she? The woman is optional, because the story is always about the man, isn't it?

All right - I realize that your challenge is a legitimate one, since crossovers are perfectly permissible here. But I'll keep insisting that your challenge is extremely inconsiderate of the preferences of the majority of the people who are likely to visit this site. Or, to put it in another way, it's sexist.

Ann

#130735 07/27/06 01:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not sexist!!!

Or at least not in men's favour. Honestly, I mean look at my Username....

I only said the Loises are optional bit because I thought it would be a better story if the other Supermen were trying to cope with the issues raised from being forced away from their Loises. Also Teri's Lois is the only one I'd wanna read about.

Bitca = bitch. Watch Buffy season two, episode one. I love that show, and considering how sexist I supossedly am, that must come as a great shock to you.

As for the time frames, I wanted Cain's Kent married but no baby. And Welling's I just thought a greiving Clark would be an interesting addition to the mix.......

As for posting this challenge on a purely Superman site, I wanted Dean's Clark to be the focus of them, which wouldn't happen on any other site. If anything he'd just be treated like less than the others. I also wanted the best fanfic writers in the world to do it.

Lois is not optional, just that I don't want all the Loises in there as well as all the Clarks and Supermen. Too much confusion if not done right....

And one final note.....

Cheese Eaters Beware The Giant Rats!!!!

#130736 07/27/06 03:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jensguy -

I for one find this idea very intriguing. I would actually love to write a fic based on it, but right now I have two other fics I'm working on... so I imagine someone else will beat me to it.

Plus, as good of an idea as it is, and as detailed as it is, I don't know if I could do it justice. I'm writing a fic for someone else right now, they gave me an idea they wanted to see and turned me loose on it, and I'm so nervous to get it right...

That, and I know NOTHING about Smallville, never watched it. I could probably do Christopher Reeve's and Brandon Routh's characters justice, maybe, but not Welling... I don't know him.

But I hope someone takes you up on this challenge. It sounds wonderfully deep and complex. And I understood what you were getting at and where you were going with your ideas... but everyone looks at *words* differently. One person can read a paragraph totally different then someone else does. Don't take it personally. wink

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#130737 07/27/06 04:14 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow, I never realized until recently that most FoLCs are actually *not* fans of Superman. I've been a Superman fan all my life. L&C just happens to be one of my favorite incarnations of the characters. Interesting to learn that so many FoLCs are not true fans of the Superman myth. I just never really noticed it before. :rolleyes:

Jensguy - I think this is a great idea. thumbsup I'm a woman, and I don't find it sexist at all.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130738 07/27/06 04:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Metro,
I'd like it if you wrote my story after you've done your other two fics. I think you'd do it justice. I doubt anyone else'll beat you to it.....

#130739 07/27/06 04:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SuperGEM,
It suprised me too. I've been a big Superman fan since as long as I can remember. As a kid, Chris Reeve's Superman was my hero. Then when he had the accident and the way he fought to live after and the way he showed exactly why he was a real Superman I was amazed. And then I got into L&C, and then that was it. Superman fan for life in all forms. L&C does happen to be my favourite though. Mainly due to Clark being the person, Superman the disguise. People can be kinda obsessed with how they see the characters I find, and that's why people introed by L&C or the films just can't get into any other version. Or they just don't like 'em for some other reason(s).

And thanks, it's nice to know you like the idea. As for sexism, anyone who knows me will tell you that it's like accusing a goldfish of attacking the dog. It just doesn't happen. Thanks for your support there too.

Now before I go I'd just like to say one thing.....

You were fantastic.... absolutely fantastic... and you know what else? So was I!!!

#130740 07/27/06 06:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay no promises, but I'll keep this one on the back burner and see what I can come up with. I've already had a few fleeting ideas come to mind that I quickly jotted down.

This seems like a daunting task to me, in order to make it work right, and be good. So we'll see if my muse is up to the challenge.

But like I said, I have a couple of other things going right now, so it may be a while (plus I really do have a real life, I swear it's true) laugh

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#130741 07/27/06 11:21 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay - stepping in here with my admin hat on.

We all have different preferences and different story tastes. While it is perfectly acceptable to debate these, it is not acceptable to suggest stories are not posted here because they do not suit your own personal likes and dislikes.

Jensguy's challenge is a crossover. It contains elements from LNC:TNAOS. It therefore fits the rules of this forum and anyone who takes up the challenge is more than welcome to post the results here.

And just to clarify very clearly - in case there is confusion - there is no requirement on this forum for every story posted to include Lois. Or Clark. Or Jimmy, Perry, or Lois's potted plant for that matter.

I have to agree that I don't see anything sexist - or even inconsiderate - about this challenge.

Naturally, when a poster issues a challenge, they're going to give the parameters that encourage the story they want to read at that particular time. Just because they may say that in this particluar story they don't want Jimmy included, doesn't make them a Jimmy hater. If they say they don't want strawberry jelly in it, it doesn't mean they despise jelly either. wink

It simply means that they have in mind a particular set of conditions to suit what they have in mind in one particular instance.

That's the nature of challenge fic.

So, please...let's respect the fact that we don't all see the characters the same way or like the same characters or want to read the same kinds of stories.

Good luck with the challenge. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#130742 07/28/06 12:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
True enough, Labrat.

Nevertheless, hopefully it is not inappropriate to present opinions here either. Otherwise there is no discussion or exploration of ideas on these mbs, only variations of "Me too". Afterall, the mbs are called "Lois and Clark', not "Lois and Jimmy and Martha and Jonathan and Clark" ; this title suggests, as the series did, that Lois Lane is equally as important a character as CK/S .

This makes me wonder if Jensguy's challenge really wold be more appropriate in the 'Off topic' forum, given that's where both Smallville and SR have been discussed. Still, I can see it's a blurry issue. Crossover, etc. And true, enough, writing a fic with the various interpretations of Lois as well as CK/S would be very "challenging" to write.

It's always interesting to see how each generation re-cons an iconic hero, weaving elements of the new age in with the classic image. We see that in each reincarnation of Lois Lane, too, perhaps even more than we do in the Superman character. (perhaps because of the feminist movement's history during this time period and the following backlash?).

In that respect, it's interesting that Bosrth's LL is quite different from Kidder's while Routh's Superman is really only an impersonation of Reeves' version, although I'm gathering it hits the "God" theme a lot more blatantly (maybe a reflection of the more Church dominated society in America this past decade?)

Of course, you could get a lot of mileage out of just writing about the change in the colour and style of Superman's briefs in each incarnation. smile That little (no pun intended) tabloid debate about airbrushing Routh's briefs. laugh (to be written in first person, of course,through the eyes of each Lois Lane <eg>)

Jensguy, can you give us some examples of what was it that you found "bitchy" about Margot Kidder's LL? The New Yorker review of SR lamented the fact that Bosworth's LL lacked the feistness and zip of both MK's and TH's LL. It's been a long time since I saw that movie, so my recollection may be off - I remember a character who was independent, impulsive, a tad neurotic (those much talked about cigarettes!), good at her job, and professionally aggressive. She did like to be in charge, and I know, in the work place, that some men have often labelled such women as "bitchy".

Now, MK's LL did walk all over Dorky Clark Kent, but then he was being duplicitous in all those scenes (hiding those red briefs!) and so, argubly, one bad character trait cancelled out the other.

Btw, Jensguy, since it's Superman as well as CK who interests you, why include the Smallville version since Superman has yet to appear in that universe?

c.

#130743 07/28/06 12:46 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just FYI to add some further clarification to this...

Jensguy, if I do end up writing this...I've come up with the way I can do it, the direction I could take it...

However, it will not include either George Reeves' version or Tom Welling's version. First, you said not to go beyond more than 3 universes, that might be difficult to do with two many Supermen (as it is I think I may have to push that envelope to four, hope you don't mind.)

Secondly, I was too young and never watched George Reeves' version. I grew up with Christopher Reeve's as my Superman.

Here are the 4 Supermen I've decided to go with. Two from our Universe: Dean Cain's Clark and Alt-Clark. And Two from a distinctly opposite side of the universe/spectrum, where Clark is not really Clark and instead is Superman (and also where Clark does not have Lois) - Brandon Routh's Superman and Christopher Reeve's Superman. Okay, that's all I'll leak about the plot I've come up with...and I'm still a long way away from starting it. But there you go.

And for *all* of us Lois & Clark fans out there (I am a Superman fan, saw all of the Christopher Reeves movies - yes even the last 2 and I've seen the new one twice, going for my 3rd time - a *free* viewing - on Saturday, but LNC is my favorite), this story is going to *primarily* take place in LNC world. It basically has to, that's where the villian is from, and that's the world I'm most comfortable writing in.

Heh - still want me to give it a try? huh wink

#130744 07/28/06 12:59 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nevertheless, hopefully it is not inappropriate to present opinions here either
Please go back and read my first post, Carol. I made it perfectly clear there is no problem with debating differing opinions in characterisation and story tastes:

While it is perfectly acceptable to debate these,
So I'm a little surprised that you would have interpreted my post to mean anything else and can only assume that you failed to notice the above line.

What is required is that such debates are conducted with respect for the opposing pov.

This makes me wonder if Jensguy's challenge really wold be more appropriate in the 'Off topic' forum, given that's where both Smallville and SR have been discussed. Still, I can see it's blurry issue. Corssover, etc.
Jensguy has posted his challenge perfectly appropriately in this forum. Had he posted it in Off Topic I (or another admin I suspect) would have moved it into here. wink For the reasons I've previously stated. Off Topic isn't where you post story challenges. laugh

I'm not sure why you find the question of where to post blurry. There is absolutely no question that the challenge lies anywhere near the edges of the rules or is anywhere close to breaking them.

It is a challenge fic.

It is a crossover.

It contains elements of the show.

It therefore seems clear that the appropriate place to issue a story challenge which invites crossover stories about LNC's Clark/Superman with other Clark/Superman incarnations is in the Challenge Folder.

Afterall, the mbs are called "Lois and Clark', not "Lois and Jimmy and Martha and Jonathan and Clark" ; this title suggests, as the series did, that Lois Lane is equally as important a character as CK/S .
This forum is for stories about the show LNC:TNAOS. This does not mean that every story needs to include all of the elements of the show. Just that it contains some of them. The boards are not named The Lois and Clark Fanfic mbs because they only accept stories about Lois and Clark. But because they accept stories set within the world of and using the characters of the show entitled Lois and Clark (TNAOS).

The issue is not with which characters are important within the mythos of the show and which are not. It's about the fact that not all stories posted on this forum need to include Lois and that to suggest to authors that they do is misinformed as to the forum's rules. And that stories which do not include Lois are equally welcome here - despite the personal tastes of various members.

If this were not the case, we would have missed out on a LOT of very good fanfic over the years. wink

Heck, some stories don't include Lois or Clark. That doesn't make them any less LNC stories.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#130745 07/28/06 02:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, firstly, thanks Labby for your support, you've always been great to me, you're a fantastic person. OK, I have go clean this brown stuff off my face.... wink

Things I found bitchy about Kidder's Lois. OK, this is dead easy. First, as you pointed out the way she treats Clark. Secondly, and this is my main reason, the bit in Superman II, where Clark's given up his powers just for her, got the beaten up by that guy in the diner, and she admits she was just in love with the Superman and the powers. There are other reasons though, and yes she does treat Clark a lot better in Superman IV: The Quest For Peace but anyway, moving on....

As for why I included Smallville, I like the series. Just coz he ain't yet at the stage where he's wearing pajamas to rescue people, it doesn't make him any less a Superman in my opinion...

Metro, it sounds amazing, write it and I'll be your slave for a week, and push the envolope all you want with the story......

OK, that's all for the post....

#130746 07/28/06 02:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by MetroRhodes:
I was too young and never watched George Reeves' version.

This story is going to *primarily* take place in LNC world. It basically has to, that's where the villian is from.
I've never watched George's version either. I just thought it'd be intresting considering how times have changed. As for the villian, it's Tempus, isn't it? You shouldn't have said anything, that was a dead giveaway.... lol smile

OK, later.

#130747 07/28/06 02:47 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, that's quite a strong censure of a suggestion in a vey tiny part of my post, Labrat.

Most of my post was about the interpretation of character.

What part of either of my posts are "disrespectful"? It was not my intent to be disrespectful but to discuss the interpretation of character.

But to address that very brief part of my previous post, when i said the 'off-topic' location was blurry, I meant just that - I can see both sides of the 'location' issue. In fact, I raised the crossover point (admittedly as a sentence fragment) My suggestion was a thought that flitted through my mind (and obviously a major error in my thinking process!). I don't really think it matters where the challenge goes, to tell the truth.

So I'm a little surprised that you would have interpreted my post to mean anything else and can only assume that you failed to notice the above line.
Anyway, I reread your post as you directed me to do.

I think what happened is not that i failed to see that line but that I interpreted the complete sentence in a way that was perhaps different from what you intended. (although, of course I don't know)
Here's the complete sentence:
While it is perfectly acceptable to debate these , it is not acceptable to suggest stories are not posted here because they do not suit your own personal likes and dislikes.
By 'are not posted' do you mean 'should not be posted'? I wasn't sure about what your intended meaning was there. Also, I wasn't sure what the main clause implied - did you mean references to ideas are forbidden on the mbs? But that seems contradictory to "story ideas", unless by "story" ideas, you just mean plot ideas. Did it mean discussion of characters in a larger context? (like feminism or whatever - e.g. truth, justice and the American way?) Does it mean that, in responding to fics, no discussion of personal tastes (eg. "i like a growly Clark") is allowed on these mbs? I think the double negative added to my confusion.

I think Jensguy's challenge with respect to CK/S is an interesting one. in fact, it would be intriguing to see some response fics that do the same with Lois. (and jimmy, but perhaps the eyes glaze over at this suggestion.)

Btw should i censor that last comment about Jimmy since it reflects my personal tatse with respect to Jimmy? But it could be an interesting discussion to hear why people have the attitudes to jimmy that they do.

As for my comment about the importance of Lois's character - surely that was a major premise of L & C:tNAoS? Nevertheless, nowhere have i objected to writing a story that dealt only with one main character. How could I since I have written one myself?

c.

#130748 07/28/06 02:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh really Jensguy? Tempus? You think so? It couldn't possibly, maybe be... oh I don't know, let's see who else could I pin dimenision jumping on...

MXYZPTLK?

Or it could be Tempus... who knows? laugh

I just had to throw that out there - I need to keep you guessing. wink Although if you want to be at all surprised, then quit guessing. goofy

ccmalo - Just to throw my vote out there - I like Jimmy. Always have. I think he's a sweetheart, and he's a great friend. I get a little irritated at him from time to time when he interrupts Lois & Clark doing what they, ahem (DJ clears her throat a little) do best. wink But I think sometimes those interuptions help keep sexual tension in the series and the stories. I personally prefer the look/personality of Justin Whalin's Jimmy to Michael Landis' version (but I liked his version okay too.)

I'm a little indifferent to the Jimmys in the movie's because they are portrayed a little *too* sweet and doe-eyed (and a bit nerdy) for my taste. But the Jimmy in the movie is awfully sweet to Clark, I must say. That's a little endearing.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard