Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#130729 07/25/06 12:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to read some kind of crossover story where three or four of the different versions of Clark Kent/Superman (George Reeves old fashioned hero, the Christoper Reeve protector of Earth, Dean Cain's everyman Clark-is-who-I-am,Superman-is-what-I-can-do, Tom Welling's broody teenager, and Brandon Routh's atoning redemtion seeker) meet and have to deal with something so big that it takes all of them combined to stop it and save the day. Extra Lois' are optional, as are Jimmy's, Perry's, Kents, etc. All action either takes place in the L&C-Verse, or across multiple universes. No moving between more than three dimensions.

Starting points for each version are: GR= After final episode of AOS. Chris Reeve= After Superman IV. Dean Cain= After Swear To God, This Time We're Not Kidding, but before Family Hour. TW= After Jonathan Kent's death. BR= After Superman Returns.

Villians are up to you, but make them EVIL!!!

Look up in the sky! Is it a flock of birds? Is it a bunch of airplanes? No it's the Supermen.....

#130730 07/26/06 11:45 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Extra Lois' are optional,
my feminist heart weeps

c.

#130731 07/26/06 02:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
omg I really hope someone takes this challenge it sounds great to me.

Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow.
#130732 07/26/06 04:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by ccmalo:
Extra Lois' are optional,
my feminist heart weeps

c.
It has nothing to do with sexual politics, and everything to do with the best possible story. Besides, who'd wanna read about the Margot Kidder Lois? She was a pure bitca. The only good Lois was Teri's in my humble opinion.

Oh and thanks Ambar....

#130733 07/26/06 10:52 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
It has nothing to do with sexual politics,
LOL - pretty much *everything* in pop culture where the key figures are a man and woman is about sexual politics.

bitca? not sure what that means.

Agree with you about TH being the best Lois, though. smile

BTW, why did you chose that particular time slot for Dean Cain's CK/S and for Wellin's portrayal?

c

#130734 07/27/06 02:50 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Jensguy, how about posting this challenge on a site which is dedicated to *Superman*? This site is, supposedly at least, dedicated to *Lois* and Clark. I have to second Carol - my feminist heart weeps at your idea of a multitude of Supermen and possibly, if we are lucky, one Lois. But she doesn't really need to be in the story, does she? The woman is optional, because the story is always about the man, isn't it?

All right - I realize that your challenge is a legitimate one, since crossovers are perfectly permissible here. But I'll keep insisting that your challenge is extremely inconsiderate of the preferences of the majority of the people who are likely to visit this site. Or, to put it in another way, it's sexist.

Ann

#130735 07/27/06 01:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am not sexist!!!

Or at least not in men's favour. Honestly, I mean look at my Username....

I only said the Loises are optional bit because I thought it would be a better story if the other Supermen were trying to cope with the issues raised from being forced away from their Loises. Also Teri's Lois is the only one I'd wanna read about.

Bitca = bitch. Watch Buffy season two, episode one. I love that show, and considering how sexist I supossedly am, that must come as a great shock to you.

As for the time frames, I wanted Cain's Kent married but no baby. And Welling's I just thought a greiving Clark would be an interesting addition to the mix.......

As for posting this challenge on a purely Superman site, I wanted Dean's Clark to be the focus of them, which wouldn't happen on any other site. If anything he'd just be treated like less than the others. I also wanted the best fanfic writers in the world to do it.

Lois is not optional, just that I don't want all the Loises in there as well as all the Clarks and Supermen. Too much confusion if not done right....

And one final note.....

Cheese Eaters Beware The Giant Rats!!!!

#130736 07/27/06 03:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jensguy -

I for one find this idea very intriguing. I would actually love to write a fic based on it, but right now I have two other fics I'm working on... so I imagine someone else will beat me to it.

Plus, as good of an idea as it is, and as detailed as it is, I don't know if I could do it justice. I'm writing a fic for someone else right now, they gave me an idea they wanted to see and turned me loose on it, and I'm so nervous to get it right...

That, and I know NOTHING about Smallville, never watched it. I could probably do Christopher Reeve's and Brandon Routh's characters justice, maybe, but not Welling... I don't know him.

But I hope someone takes you up on this challenge. It sounds wonderfully deep and complex. And I understood what you were getting at and where you were going with your ideas... but everyone looks at *words* differently. One person can read a paragraph totally different then someone else does. Don't take it personally. wink

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#130737 07/27/06 04:14 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wow, I never realized until recently that most FoLCs are actually *not* fans of Superman. I've been a Superman fan all my life. L&C just happens to be one of my favorite incarnations of the characters. Interesting to learn that so many FoLCs are not true fans of the Superman myth. I just never really noticed it before. :rolleyes:

Jensguy - I think this is a great idea. thumbsup I'm a woman, and I don't find it sexist at all.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130738 07/27/06 04:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Metro,
I'd like it if you wrote my story after you've done your other two fics. I think you'd do it justice. I doubt anyone else'll beat you to it.....

#130739 07/27/06 04:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
SuperGEM,
It suprised me too. I've been a big Superman fan since as long as I can remember. As a kid, Chris Reeve's Superman was my hero. Then when he had the accident and the way he fought to live after and the way he showed exactly why he was a real Superman I was amazed. And then I got into L&C, and then that was it. Superman fan for life in all forms. L&C does happen to be my favourite though. Mainly due to Clark being the person, Superman the disguise. People can be kinda obsessed with how they see the characters I find, and that's why people introed by L&C or the films just can't get into any other version. Or they just don't like 'em for some other reason(s).

And thanks, it's nice to know you like the idea. As for sexism, anyone who knows me will tell you that it's like accusing a goldfish of attacking the dog. It just doesn't happen. Thanks for your support there too.

Now before I go I'd just like to say one thing.....

You were fantastic.... absolutely fantastic... and you know what else? So was I!!!

#130740 07/27/06 06:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay no promises, but I'll keep this one on the back burner and see what I can come up with. I've already had a few fleeting ideas come to mind that I quickly jotted down.

This seems like a daunting task to me, in order to make it work right, and be good. So we'll see if my muse is up to the challenge.

But like I said, I have a couple of other things going right now, so it may be a while (plus I really do have a real life, I swear it's true) laugh

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#130741 07/27/06 11:21 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay - stepping in here with my admin hat on.

We all have different preferences and different story tastes. While it is perfectly acceptable to debate these, it is not acceptable to suggest stories are not posted here because they do not suit your own personal likes and dislikes.

Jensguy's challenge is a crossover. It contains elements from LNC:TNAOS. It therefore fits the rules of this forum and anyone who takes up the challenge is more than welcome to post the results here.

And just to clarify very clearly - in case there is confusion - there is no requirement on this forum for every story posted to include Lois. Or Clark. Or Jimmy, Perry, or Lois's potted plant for that matter.

I have to agree that I don't see anything sexist - or even inconsiderate - about this challenge.

Naturally, when a poster issues a challenge, they're going to give the parameters that encourage the story they want to read at that particular time. Just because they may say that in this particluar story they don't want Jimmy included, doesn't make them a Jimmy hater. If they say they don't want strawberry jelly in it, it doesn't mean they despise jelly either. wink

It simply means that they have in mind a particular set of conditions to suit what they have in mind in one particular instance.

That's the nature of challenge fic.

So, please...let's respect the fact that we don't all see the characters the same way or like the same characters or want to read the same kinds of stories.

Good luck with the challenge. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#130742 07/28/06 12:30 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
True enough, Labrat.

Nevertheless, hopefully it is not inappropriate to present opinions here either. Otherwise there is no discussion or exploration of ideas on these mbs, only variations of "Me too". Afterall, the mbs are called "Lois and Clark', not "Lois and Jimmy and Martha and Jonathan and Clark" ; this title suggests, as the series did, that Lois Lane is equally as important a character as CK/S .

This makes me wonder if Jensguy's challenge really wold be more appropriate in the 'Off topic' forum, given that's where both Smallville and SR have been discussed. Still, I can see it's a blurry issue. Crossover, etc. And true, enough, writing a fic with the various interpretations of Lois as well as CK/S would be very "challenging" to write.

It's always interesting to see how each generation re-cons an iconic hero, weaving elements of the new age in with the classic image. We see that in each reincarnation of Lois Lane, too, perhaps even more than we do in the Superman character. (perhaps because of the feminist movement's history during this time period and the following backlash?).

In that respect, it's interesting that Bosrth's LL is quite different from Kidder's while Routh's Superman is really only an impersonation of Reeves' version, although I'm gathering it hits the "God" theme a lot more blatantly (maybe a reflection of the more Church dominated society in America this past decade?)

Of course, you could get a lot of mileage out of just writing about the change in the colour and style of Superman's briefs in each incarnation. smile That little (no pun intended) tabloid debate about airbrushing Routh's briefs. laugh (to be written in first person, of course,through the eyes of each Lois Lane <eg>)

Jensguy, can you give us some examples of what was it that you found "bitchy" about Margot Kidder's LL? The New Yorker review of SR lamented the fact that Bosworth's LL lacked the feistness and zip of both MK's and TH's LL. It's been a long time since I saw that movie, so my recollection may be off - I remember a character who was independent, impulsive, a tad neurotic (those much talked about cigarettes!), good at her job, and professionally aggressive. She did like to be in charge, and I know, in the work place, that some men have often labelled such women as "bitchy".

Now, MK's LL did walk all over Dorky Clark Kent, but then he was being duplicitous in all those scenes (hiding those red briefs!) and so, argubly, one bad character trait cancelled out the other.

Btw, Jensguy, since it's Superman as well as CK who interests you, why include the Smallville version since Superman has yet to appear in that universe?

c.

#130743 07/28/06 12:46 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just FYI to add some further clarification to this...

Jensguy, if I do end up writing this...I've come up with the way I can do it, the direction I could take it...

However, it will not include either George Reeves' version or Tom Welling's version. First, you said not to go beyond more than 3 universes, that might be difficult to do with two many Supermen (as it is I think I may have to push that envelope to four, hope you don't mind.)

Secondly, I was too young and never watched George Reeves' version. I grew up with Christopher Reeve's as my Superman.

Here are the 4 Supermen I've decided to go with. Two from our Universe: Dean Cain's Clark and Alt-Clark. And Two from a distinctly opposite side of the universe/spectrum, where Clark is not really Clark and instead is Superman (and also where Clark does not have Lois) - Brandon Routh's Superman and Christopher Reeve's Superman. Okay, that's all I'll leak about the plot I've come up with...and I'm still a long way away from starting it. But there you go.

And for *all* of us Lois & Clark fans out there (I am a Superman fan, saw all of the Christopher Reeves movies - yes even the last 2 and I've seen the new one twice, going for my 3rd time - a *free* viewing - on Saturday, but LNC is my favorite), this story is going to *primarily* take place in LNC world. It basically has to, that's where the villian is from, and that's the world I'm most comfortable writing in.

Heh - still want me to give it a try? huh wink

#130744 07/28/06 12:59 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nevertheless, hopefully it is not inappropriate to present opinions here either
Please go back and read my first post, Carol. I made it perfectly clear there is no problem with debating differing opinions in characterisation and story tastes:

While it is perfectly acceptable to debate these,
So I'm a little surprised that you would have interpreted my post to mean anything else and can only assume that you failed to notice the above line.

What is required is that such debates are conducted with respect for the opposing pov.

This makes me wonder if Jensguy's challenge really wold be more appropriate in the 'Off topic' forum, given that's where both Smallville and SR have been discussed. Still, I can see it's blurry issue. Corssover, etc.
Jensguy has posted his challenge perfectly appropriately in this forum. Had he posted it in Off Topic I (or another admin I suspect) would have moved it into here. wink For the reasons I've previously stated. Off Topic isn't where you post story challenges. laugh

I'm not sure why you find the question of where to post blurry. There is absolutely no question that the challenge lies anywhere near the edges of the rules or is anywhere close to breaking them.

It is a challenge fic.

It is a crossover.

It contains elements of the show.

It therefore seems clear that the appropriate place to issue a story challenge which invites crossover stories about LNC's Clark/Superman with other Clark/Superman incarnations is in the Challenge Folder.

Afterall, the mbs are called "Lois and Clark', not "Lois and Jimmy and Martha and Jonathan and Clark" ; this title suggests, as the series did, that Lois Lane is equally as important a character as CK/S .
This forum is for stories about the show LNC:TNAOS. This does not mean that every story needs to include all of the elements of the show. Just that it contains some of them. The boards are not named The Lois and Clark Fanfic mbs because they only accept stories about Lois and Clark. But because they accept stories set within the world of and using the characters of the show entitled Lois and Clark (TNAOS).

The issue is not with which characters are important within the mythos of the show and which are not. It's about the fact that not all stories posted on this forum need to include Lois and that to suggest to authors that they do is misinformed as to the forum's rules. And that stories which do not include Lois are equally welcome here - despite the personal tastes of various members.

If this were not the case, we would have missed out on a LOT of very good fanfic over the years. wink

Heck, some stories don't include Lois or Clark. That doesn't make them any less LNC stories.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#130745 07/28/06 02:05 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, firstly, thanks Labby for your support, you've always been great to me, you're a fantastic person. OK, I have go clean this brown stuff off my face.... wink

Things I found bitchy about Kidder's Lois. OK, this is dead easy. First, as you pointed out the way she treats Clark. Secondly, and this is my main reason, the bit in Superman II, where Clark's given up his powers just for her, got the beaten up by that guy in the diner, and she admits she was just in love with the Superman and the powers. There are other reasons though, and yes she does treat Clark a lot better in Superman IV: The Quest For Peace but anyway, moving on....

As for why I included Smallville, I like the series. Just coz he ain't yet at the stage where he's wearing pajamas to rescue people, it doesn't make him any less a Superman in my opinion...

Metro, it sounds amazing, write it and I'll be your slave for a week, and push the envolope all you want with the story......

OK, that's all for the post....

#130746 07/28/06 02:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by MetroRhodes:
I was too young and never watched George Reeves' version.

This story is going to *primarily* take place in LNC world. It basically has to, that's where the villian is from.
I've never watched George's version either. I just thought it'd be intresting considering how times have changed. As for the villian, it's Tempus, isn't it? You shouldn't have said anything, that was a dead giveaway.... lol smile

OK, later.

#130747 07/28/06 02:47 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow, that's quite a strong censure of a suggestion in a vey tiny part of my post, Labrat.

Most of my post was about the interpretation of character.

What part of either of my posts are "disrespectful"? It was not my intent to be disrespectful but to discuss the interpretation of character.

But to address that very brief part of my previous post, when i said the 'off-topic' location was blurry, I meant just that - I can see both sides of the 'location' issue. In fact, I raised the crossover point (admittedly as a sentence fragment) My suggestion was a thought that flitted through my mind (and obviously a major error in my thinking process!). I don't really think it matters where the challenge goes, to tell the truth.

So I'm a little surprised that you would have interpreted my post to mean anything else and can only assume that you failed to notice the above line.
Anyway, I reread your post as you directed me to do.

I think what happened is not that i failed to see that line but that I interpreted the complete sentence in a way that was perhaps different from what you intended. (although, of course I don't know)
Here's the complete sentence:
While it is perfectly acceptable to debate these , it is not acceptable to suggest stories are not posted here because they do not suit your own personal likes and dislikes.
By 'are not posted' do you mean 'should not be posted'? I wasn't sure about what your intended meaning was there. Also, I wasn't sure what the main clause implied - did you mean references to ideas are forbidden on the mbs? But that seems contradictory to "story ideas", unless by "story" ideas, you just mean plot ideas. Did it mean discussion of characters in a larger context? (like feminism or whatever - e.g. truth, justice and the American way?) Does it mean that, in responding to fics, no discussion of personal tastes (eg. "i like a growly Clark") is allowed on these mbs? I think the double negative added to my confusion.

I think Jensguy's challenge with respect to CK/S is an interesting one. in fact, it would be intriguing to see some response fics that do the same with Lois. (and jimmy, but perhaps the eyes glaze over at this suggestion.)

Btw should i censor that last comment about Jimmy since it reflects my personal tatse with respect to Jimmy? But it could be an interesting discussion to hear why people have the attitudes to jimmy that they do.

As for my comment about the importance of Lois's character - surely that was a major premise of L & C:tNAoS? Nevertheless, nowhere have i objected to writing a story that dealt only with one main character. How could I since I have written one myself?

c.

#130748 07/28/06 02:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh really Jensguy? Tempus? You think so? It couldn't possibly, maybe be... oh I don't know, let's see who else could I pin dimenision jumping on...

MXYZPTLK?

Or it could be Tempus... who knows? laugh

I just had to throw that out there - I need to keep you guessing. wink Although if you want to be at all surprised, then quit guessing. goofy

ccmalo - Just to throw my vote out there - I like Jimmy. Always have. I think he's a sweetheart, and he's a great friend. I get a little irritated at him from time to time when he interrupts Lois & Clark doing what they, ahem (DJ clears her throat a little) do best. wink But I think sometimes those interuptions help keep sexual tension in the series and the stories. I personally prefer the look/personality of Justin Whalin's Jimmy to Michael Landis' version (but I liked his version okay too.)

I'm a little indifferent to the Jimmys in the movie's because they are portrayed a little *too* sweet and doe-eyed (and a bit nerdy) for my taste. But the Jimmy in the movie is awfully sweet to Clark, I must say. That's a little endearing.

#130749 07/28/06 03:33 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Things I found bitchy about Kidder's Lois. OK, this is dead easy. First, as you pointed out the way she treats Clark. Secondly, and this is my main reason, the bit in Superman II, where Clark's given up his powers just for her, got the beaten up by that guy in the diner, and she admits she was just in love with the Superman and the powers. There are other reasons though, and yes she does treat Clark a lot better in Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
Thanks, Jensguy for replying. smile

Respectfully (really, honestly, cross my heart etc smile ) i wonder if you'd be willing flesh out your opinions a bit? I'm interested in the *why's* so to speak.

*Why* did you reject my argument that the dorky Clark act cancelled Lois's "bitch" trait? (btw, this doesn't mean I objected to his not telling Lois or anyone else that he was S, but that by so camping up "Clark Kent" he's being duplicitous. He doesn't take Clakr Kent seriously; why should she?)

Also, is Perry White (not sure of the actor in the Reeves movies) equally bitchy for treating dorky Kent the same way?

*Why* is it bitchy to admit that it was Superman she loved - dorky Clark wasn't exactly the answer to a woman's fantasy (a maiden's prayer in old speak laugh ) I didn't interpet her admission as being she loved him for his physical powers, otherwise she would have loved the devil (or Q or whoever) but that she loved the hero in Superman.

Doesn't Superman's mind wipe of Lois at the end of S II show a darkness to his character that is at least on a par with Lois's earlier too blunt honesty in her confession that it was Superman she loved?

About S IV - overall a silly movie, but not in how Lois Lane treated Clark Kent. He's still playing Dorkman (and so he's continuing his duplicitous behaviour), but she has come to love him anyway - her caring for him when she searches for him after he's gone into retreat is touching. In a sense, she rescues him. There, in that scene, we see growth in her character. But, to repeat, rest of the movie is, as you imply ... well... smile

Anyway, I guess I'm trying to say - MK's Lois wasn't a saint, but neither was Reeves's Superman (which makes them both more interesting as characters) If you're willing to cut the various versions of CK/S some slack with respect to character flaws, then *why* not MK's Lois too?

Oh, and also that word "bitch" laugh

MetroRhodes, you make me think I ought to be more understanding of poor Jimmy. laugh

c

#130750 07/28/06 05:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I find this whole idea intriguing and can't wait to see the story. For those of you who haven't seen George Reeves' Superman, you are just missing out on so much. L&C is my favorite, by far, but George's Clark is not dorky and his Superman isn't bad either. So for those of you who aren't familiar with George Reeves' Superman, does that mean you missed Bud Larson (aka Jimmy Olson) and Noelle Neil (aka Lois Lane) in the new Superman Returns movie? Surely you didn't miss Bud Larson? He was also in L&C. He played the 'old' Jimmy.

Nancy - Fan of everything Superman

P.S. I wasn't even born when George Reeves died but I've seen all the shows in reruns. I believe they are also available on DVD.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#130751 07/28/06 08:10 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I regret that I used the word "sexist", because that word is extremely loaded with negative feelings and at the same time, it's very fuzzy at the edges - i.e., you don't know what it really means. I shouldn't have used it.

I do want to say that I dislike the idea that Lois, any Lois, should be regarded as "optional" to any story about Superman. All right: I'm not saying that Lois *must* be a part of each and every Superman story ever told, but I do mean that if you tell a story that is supposed to be a sort of introduction, a sort of "who's this guy?" kind of story, then I'll *hate* it if it's going to be optional to talk about Superman's, any Superman's, relationship with Lois Lane. The fact that "Superman II" made Margot Kidder optional to Christopher Reeve's Superman was what turned me off the very idea of Superman for ten years. And to me, the very, very best thing about LNC:TNAOS was that Lois was as essential as Superman to that TV show.

I, too, would actually like to see various Supermen come together to solve a problem of some kind. But I would so, so much want every Lois to be a part of the story, too.

Ann

#130752 07/28/06 09:13 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh really Jensguy? Tempus? You think so? It couldn't possibly, maybe be... oh I don't know, let's see who else could I pin dimenision jumping on...

MXYZPTLK?

Or it could be Tempus... who knows? laugh

I just had to throw that out there - I need to keep you guessing. wink Although if you want to be at all surprised, then quit guessing. goofy

Actually MXYZPTLK is quite prominent in the Superman myth when you look at the comics. He also appears in Smallville. So I wouldn't think of him as strictly a L&C villain. laugh

Tempus, on the other hand, is the only villain that is specific to L&C that comes to mind immediately. wink So I'm with Jensguy, I'm guessing you are referring to Tempus. Either way - I think your idea sounds great so far and I'm looking forward to hopefully reading it! thumbsup

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130753 07/28/06 09:18 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Agreed about the George Reeves' version ... I *loved* to watch it on reruns growing up! clap Christopher Reeve got me officially hooked on Superman as a kid - but it wasn't long after that I started watching EVERYTHING I could that related to Superman. Even started with the comic books, though I never followed them religiously. But as for TV and films, that included The Adventures of Superman, the cartoons, all four Reeve films, L&C, Smallville ... only thing I skipped was the Superboy series. wink

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130754 07/28/06 09:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
OK, I'll answer you all quickly. All this disscussion, I'll be very disapointed if nothing comes from it.

ccmalo: I like the idea of the same challenge with different characters. It could be really interesting. I do agree with most of your ideas about the movie characters, except Lois does admit it was the powers, not the man, that she loved.

Metro: The Mxyzplk idea is genius. But you said it was a villian unique to L&C. Mxy is in the comics too, so he's not purely a L&C villian. I did think of him but then thought it must be Tempus for that reason.

Classicalla: Having not seen the 50's series, I missed them all. Unfortunately. I'll have to look them up and then watch my Superman Returns DVD again.

TOC: I shouldn't have said that Loises are optional, but just to be less focused on.

Also just as a sidenote, any cameos by other people from the DCU would be great. Such as the main Clark (Dean Cain's Version) picking up Jack Nicolson's Joker for example.

Also an interesting question. Would the Kryptonite from one world effect other Supermen?

#130755 07/28/06 09:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Also an interesting question. Would the Kryptonite from one world effect other Supermen?
Oooh, Jensguy! Interesting question indeed. I hadn't ever thought about that. In another story I wrote, Remember Me, I had Tempus use Kryptonite from the alt-universe on *our* Superman. I hadn't really thought about that. Hmmm.

I'll be anxious to see what responses you get on that from the others but I'll keep that in the back of my mind. :-)

-- MR

#130756 07/28/06 01:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Metro:)

#130757 07/31/06 09:32 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, Jensguy and whoever else didn't know that in Superman Returns:
  • Noelle Neil played the rich old lady that Lex Luthor married
  • Bud Larson played the bartender at the bar where Jimmy and Clark shared a drink

Where ever in the world did you get a Superman Returns DVD?

Wouldn't kyryptonite be kryptonite regardless of which universe one was in? Otherwise, you might be afraid to even drink the water - H2O2 (peroxide) instead of H2O (water) wouldn't be very tasty.... laugh

#130758 08/01/06 12:46 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Classicalla. I did know that (about the characters) but only because I'd seen the "Up In The Sky" Superman documentary.

I'm wondering if that might be the DVD Jensguy was referring to. It sort of centered around Superman Returns.

Anyway, pooh, go ruin a plot line in my story why don't ya. Good thing I haven't started writing it yet. laugh No, you bring up a good point though. I guess when it comes to chemistry a kryptonite rock is still a kryptonite rock.

-- MR

#130759 08/01/06 01:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Classicalla.

Oh, and the DVD is of the actual movie. I got it from this bloke I know. It's a 100% perfect copy. I'd offer to do copies for people, but as I understand it, that's illegal.

So I won't.

Did I mention my e-mail address is skaboy366@hotmail.com ?

#130760 08/01/06 06:28 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So MetroRhodes, I have an idea that might help your story. How about the alt Clark is affected by red or purple or orange or whatever color of kryptonite in the same way our dear Clark is affected by green kryptonite? And the green kryptonite from the Alt Clark's universe had no effect or a different effect on our Clark? And who is to say you couldn't have a alt universe where our laws of physics don't work? Different color spectrum. Water is poison. Green sky. Blue trees...

Did that make any sense?

#130761 08/02/06 12:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm. Very interesting Classicalla. The only problem is that I'm using characters from movies we've all seen, and the trees are all green and the skies are all blue.

But I like your idea of different Kryptonite. Maybe I could introduce a new color (or do research in the comics on another color).

But yeah, that's sort of the idea I had about the Kryptonite affecting the Supermen differently. They can all be killed by green Kryptonite, but the green stuff from one universe doen't kill a Superman from another universe. Maybe it makes them a little dizzy or sick or something but isn't lethal.

I don't know. I'll keep toying around with it. This is the hardest story I've tried to write yet to come up with a decent plot line...

It'll probably take me a while. My muse is going to have to really be inspired. laugh

Later -- MR

#130762 08/02/06 01:46 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I like the idea that Kryptonite from different universes should affect the different Superman differently. If I were you, I would stick with the basic idea of green Kryptonite. But why not make subtle changes to the shade of green? I really, really like the idea of turquoise Kryptonite. And how about yellowish lime-green Kryptonite? Maybe in one universe the Kryptonite could be basically green, but shimmering with muti-colored opalescence. Then of course you need the bright, unmerciful, neon green Kryptonite.

I *love* the idea that all the Supermen could be unpredictably affected and somehow weakened by the Kryptonite that's not from their own universe. (If it were me, I would, of course, have each Superman affected by one alien Kryptonite substance in such a way that he realized how unforgivable it was that he had been ignoring "his own" Lois as much as he had - presumably the LnC Superman wouldn't have this reaction, though... laugh )

Ann

#130763 08/02/06 03:14 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ha ha! Ann you are too much!

Green colored truth serum huh? Intriguing. laugh

These ideas are all wonderful. Surely my muse will get inspired soon. I just lack that "climactic" plot line/ending. I usually don't start writing a fic without one. But maybe if I just start writing, it will come to me along the way.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

#130764 08/02/06 02:44 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sorry I don't have anything constructive to add LOL - but I was just wondering if your muse needs any extra nudging MetroRhodes? wink

If by chance it does ... I'm gonna nag just a bit to see if I can help ya along!! thumbsup

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130765 08/02/06 03:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Alright, alright, go ahead, say it.....

#130766 08/03/06 03:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Personally, I'd go with Mxy. As much as I like Tempus, he doesn't have the abilities that Mxy has!

Additionally, I don't think that Kryptonite from so dissimilar universes would affect other supermen. Something about a quantum signature issue...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#130767 08/03/06 03:50 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hee hee!

Okay, okay, my muse grudgingly came by last night. She said I'm wearing her out, by the way, and when is she going to get a break? I told her no time soon.

She imparted me with a few ideas and got me started off.

So there you have it. It has begun...

#130768 08/03/06 08:18 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hee hee!

Okay, okay, my muse grudgingly came by last night. She said I'm wearing her out, by the way, and when is she going to get a break? I told her no time soon.

YAY!! party

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130769 08/03/06 08:25 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hee hee!

FANTASTIC!!!

By the way, can I change my name from Jensguy or am I stuck with that?

#130770 08/03/06 08:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Um need clarification *Jensguy* - do you want *me* to call you something else (if that's the case, no problem, what do you want to be called?)

Or are you wanting a different name on the boards? If so, go into your profile and type a new name. Your log in name will still be Jensguy but you can change your user name.

At least I did anyway. I used to be L&C4Ever until I came up with the name I wanted to use. You might want to put a tagline in your signature that says "formerly Jensguy" or something like that, so we know who you are until we get used to your new name. laugh

#130771 08/03/06 09:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Go Rhodes Go!!!

James (Who has wanted to change his name for a while and didn't know how!)

#130772 08/03/06 12:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You're welcome James, glad I could help!

#130773 08/03/06 04:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Metro. Can't wait to read the story.... smile

#130774 08/03/06 05:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Welcome CKWB! laugh

#130775 08/03/06 07:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I can't wait to read this story! I think it will be great!

#130776 08/04/06 01:13 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Classic laugh It will be a while I'm afraid. I've started it. But I'm in the middle of posting Novel Idea right now. And I already had another story in queue behind Novel... a story I did for Tahu. It's called New Beginnings.

I have to get those two finished first. But I am working on it. laugh

#130777 08/04/06 03:41 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Aren't my ideas like golddust? wink

#130778 08/04/06 03:47 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was just thinking that it'd be interesting to compare the different moral systems of each Superman. Also their reaction to TH's Lois...

"I wish my Lois was more like her" or "I'm glad my Lois isn't like her" kinda thing....

#130779 08/04/06 03:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
CKWB -

Are you trying to read my mind?

Where's my alumimum foil cap? I know I put it around here somewhere...

I was just thinking that it'd be interesting to compare the different moral systems of each Superman. Also their reaction to TH's Lois...
Already got you covered on this point. Ann and I discussed that it would be nice to explore how the different Supermen treat their women, maybe get some pointers...

Hee hee. laugh

#130780 08/04/06 11:36 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
CKWB - I thought you'd be happy to know that today was my last 1/2 day Friday for the summer at work... and I spent it working on the fic "Supermen United".

I really needed to do dishes, laundry... but my Muse came by, tied me to my chair and threatened to superglue my fingers to the keyboard if I didn't start typing.

Well of course I did. When one's Muse makes demands, one must listen. Anyway, I just thought I'd give you an update.

#130781 08/04/06 01:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great.

I was just thinking weird thoughts and I thought if the George Reeves version had been in this fic, would every one else see him in black and white? wink lol

#130782 08/04/06 11:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Clark Kent Wannabe, your last statement was hilarious. I do believe only the first season was in BW though. The color in the seasons that are in color are so good they rival the color in current TV shows. wink

#130783 08/05/06 12:32 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Actually I thought the first 2 seasons of TAOS were black & white? I didn't think they went color until season 3? I could be wrong, someone please correct me if I am. thumbsup

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130784 08/05/06 07:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just checked the Superman Homepage, and the first two seasons were B&W, and the rest colour.....

#130785 08/05/06 08:46 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, DJ, if you do let George Reeves' Superman make an appearance, I would definitely appreciate it if he was in black and white! goofy

You realize that his Kryptonite would be a shade of grey, too?

Ann

#130786 08/05/06 10:31 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, sorry to disappoint, but no George Reeves...

For one thing I've written too much already. Plus I don't know his version of Superman.

Also, I'm already writing 4 different Superman, it's getting confusing enough to keep track of all of them... laugh Throw in a Richard, a couple of Jimmy's... And 3 Lois's... and things really start to get interesting.

laugh

#130787 08/05/06 12:13 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, sorry to disappoint, but no George Reeves...

For one thing I've written too much already. Plus I don't know his version of Superman.

Also, I'm already writing 4 different Superman, it's getting confusing enough to keep track of all of them... laugh Throw in a Richard, a couple of Jimmy's... And 3 Lois's... and things really start to get interesting.

laugh
Oooooh wow this sounds amazing! clap I cannot *wait* to read it!!! notworthy

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130788 08/05/06 02:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It sounds fantastic. I can't wait to read it. All who read it will worship us. Worship us! Or maybe just you. I only came up with the basic idea. By the way, Superman Versus The Daleks, anyone? Dust? How many calories in dust? Anyone?

#130789 08/06/06 08:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What if the Clarks discovered that they're all fictional? lol

"They can be a great people Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show them the way. For that reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them, you, my only son"

"What we have is stronger than me"

"I'd love you even if you were an ordianary man"

"Kneel before Zod"

#130790 08/06/06 11:50 AM
Kerth
Kerth
[QB] CKWB -

Are you trying to read my mind?

Where's my alumimum foil cap? I know I put it around here somewhere...
See http://eclectech.co.uk/mindcontrol.php for the Tinfoil Hat Song

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#130791 08/06/06 12:38 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#130792 08/06/06 01:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ha ha! Thanks Marcus! That was a good laugh.

Yes, ahem, I couldn't find mine so I had to make a new one. All good to go write again.

laugh

#130793 08/06/06 04:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Woohoo!! Free donuts and beer to the best Homer Simpson impersonator....

No using the catchprase "D'oh!" though.......

#130794 08/06/06 05:08 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You are a strange one, Clark Kent Wannabe...

wink

I'm up to 13 pages now...

#130795 08/06/06 05:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes, I am....

#130796 08/12/06 07:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
How's it goin' Metro? Let me know nwhen you're finished?

#130797 08/12/06 09:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Patience my young padawan... err, sorry, wrong series...

Ahem...

I'm working on it. In case you hadn't noticed, I've been busy lately, posting another story. Plus I already had one ahead of yours that's waiting to be beta'd. I have many pages written and the plot outlined and I'm working on it. Don't get the pointy stick after me yet. dizzy

I hope I manage to pull this off. I'm pretty happy with the story thus far.

Anyway, there's your update. laugh

#130798 08/12/06 12:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the update Metro. I didn't mean to rush you. I apologize...

#130799 08/12/06 04:41 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, no, not at all...

I just take more time and care when I'm writing something for someone else. It's hard for me to be happy with it...

No, keep your stick handy, wildguy you might need it... just not yet.

#130800 08/14/06 07:06 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just a brief update for anyone who's interested in this story...

I'm up to 36 pages so far. I'm imagining it will be around 50 pages or so when finished.

It has of course taken a TOTALLY different turn from what I originally pictured... dang Muse, always running off on some tangent.

And it looks like I may have to post two versions of the story. There's one scene in the story that LabRat just wouldn't give me the green light on - no matter how much I edited it laugh To edit it down for PG, I lost the total cuteness and fun (and sexiness) of the scene.

LabRat said she really liked the scene though and that I should post a seperate version in nfic. So I probably will.

But it's still a ways off from being completed, and my beta is still backed up right now. So it'll be a while before it's posted.

Anyway, that's my update for now.

-- MR

#130801 08/15/06 03:33 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
UPDATE - VERY BAD UPDATE!!!

I had been saving this story to a usb jump drive and the drive went bad last night. I don't know what's wrong with it, it short-circuited or something. My computer doesn't recognize the drive any longer.

I've tried it in several different computers, to no avail. And other drives work in my USB port, so I know it's the drive.

Anyway, I hadn't backed the story up to my laptop. I didn't even think about my drive going back. So basically, this story is GONE. Yep, you heard me right, G O N E, gone.

(Unless someone out there knows how I can get the drive working again). There's a company out there that does data retrieval for just this sort of thing (or tries to repair the USB) but they want around $100 and sorry, the story isn't worth that...

So, I still have the idea in my head, and hopefully I'll get inspired at some point again to try it again, but right now I'm bumming big time. So depressed. I had 40 pages of this story written (and I lost another story as well that I had about 16 pages of).

Major, major bumming going on here...

whinging whinging whinging

#130802 08/15/06 04:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are we allowed to swear on these boards?

F@#&*$% $%^&!!!

#130803 08/15/06 07:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, no kidding... Ask me how I felt at 1:00 in the morning last night furiously searching the internet trying to find a way to save my drive.

Oh well, betcha I don't do that again.

Anyway, the story is still in my head. All the parts and the plot line and everything is still there. It's just that it won't come out the same again and I really liked how it came out the first time. But I've jotted down a few notes, so I wouldn't forget anything. And I'll start back up on it again soon... when I get done beating my head against my wall wallbash

#130804 08/16/06 03:13 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have had this happen a few times and it is totally devastating, at first.

I have found, though, that once I am able to get up the energy to tackle it again, the second time round comes out even better than the first.

Perseverance is the key. thumbsup

James

#130805 08/16/06 07:22 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh, no, no, DJ. Damn! Poor you, and poor us. I, too, had been very much looking forward to this story.

I just hope you will be inspired again. The Supermen united is such an interesting premise, and you are just the writer who can do the story justice.

Please start over again, no matter how frustrating it may seem. In the meantime.... Is there anything we can do to cheer you up? (Insert hopeful emoticon here.)

Ann

#130806 08/16/06 08:08 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Please start over again, no matter how frustrating it may seem. In the meantime.... Is there anything we can do to cheer you up?
Ann you are such a sweetheart. What you just said cheered me up quite a bit. Thanks.

And thank you for the encouragement too James.

I did sit down last night, while the story was still fresh in my mind, and jot down about 15 pages of notes on scenes and characters. Then this morning I got up and actually *wrote* 3 pages of story.

We're a long way from 35/40 pages, but at least I've started it. I'm just glad my muse is still speaking to me. laugh

Thanks guys!

#130807 08/16/06 09:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
FANTASTIC!! Let me know if there's anything I can do for you Metro.

By the way, what made you chose your screen name?

#130808 08/16/06 10:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My last name is Rhodes and we all want to live in Metropolis, right? So therefore, MetroRhodes. laugh

#130809 08/16/06 06:38 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
So glad to hear you are back writing it, DJ! smile1 Or re-writing it, more exactly... frown Anyway, I'm very glad to hear you haven't given up! Keep at it!!! (And say hi to your muse from me!) clap

Ann

#130810 08/17/06 09:27 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I understand your devastation!! Let me tell you what I do and it works like a charm. This won't help now, but it will help in the future. Every time I write A LOT or every other day when I don't, I send my story to myself at my yahoo email. It's a great place to store your stuff. It's still there even if your computer crashes!! Sometimes you may lose your formatting, but at least you don't lose the stories. I've found it's best to always send the story to myself using a text file.

I'm glad you are writing the story again and you must be since you asked for my help. Do we still get two versions??

#130811 08/17/06 10:09 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Do we still get 2 versions
Hah! You'd better believe it. The *n* part was the only part I actually was able to save. I had e-mailed it to LabRat to see what she thought about me PGifying it (it wasn't PGifyable by the way).

So yes, you'll still be getting 2 versions. For that one silly little part but I can't help it. I really like it. blush

#130812 08/17/06 03:55 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
SuperGem, this question is for you... (or any others of you out there who have seen the movie enough to know laugh )

I know you've seen Superman Returns like, what, 10 times now?

Can you tell me, when Lois comes outside at the end, to smoke, and Jason says "goodnight" to Superman, is Lois in her pajamas? A robe? Clothes?

I wanted to say she had a delicate robe wrapped around her, but I just can't seem to remember. Can you help me out? I wrote this part way back at the beginning of my story, but I was going back over it tonight and decided to spiffy up a few parts and fix any boo-boos I found.

Oh - and did I get this quote right?:

<Richard’s a good man and you’ve been gone a long time.>

Let me know. Thanks!

#130813 08/18/06 10:32 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I sent you an e-mail ... but I am about 99.9% certain she is wearing a brown robe during that last scene ... when she goes out to light the cigarette. wink

Hope that helps! laugh Can't wait for this story!

And yes, you got that Richard quote right ... perfect! thumbsup

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#130814 08/20/06 11:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

#130815 08/20/06 11:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Please delete this post, I wrote stuff here then decided to delete it but now it's just a crappy non-post.

#130816 08/20/06 03:09 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Genine! I appreciate it! laugh

CCWB - Me wonders what it was you were going to say???

I was gone this weekend on a camping trip, but I'm back and bursting with fresh ideas... Hi ho, hi ho, back to work on the story I go.

#130817 08/20/06 10:27 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Good to have you back to work on your story, DJ!

By the way... if you can find the time... those seven dwarfs that you undoubtedly met on your camping trip, what are they called in English anyway? I only know what they are called in Swedish.

Ann

#130818 08/21/06 12:42 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ha, Ann! If you would only watch the episodes of Lois & Clark - this is one of the many things you'd learn. They discuss this very thing in one of the last episodes of the first season.

Okay, let's see if I can remember. There are 7:

Doc, Grumpy, Dopey, Sleepy, Sneezy, Bashful, Happy. There you go.

BTW - Clark bets Lois that she can't name them all. The one dwarf she can't seem to remember, after getting 6 of them, is bashful. Ha ha ha!

Oh, and I'm up to 25 pages again. Woo-hoo!

Thanks Ann! dance

#130819 08/21/06 03:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
25 pages! 1.21 gigawatts!!

#130820 08/21/06 06:49 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah!! DJ!!

So, Ann, what are the seven dwarves called in Swedish? And did you get an English or Swedish version of LnC?

#130821 08/22/06 07:04 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hee hee!

Hello everyone!

We're up to 38 pages now and I've got everything lined out. Still think there will be 50 to 60 pages when finished, but maybe more.

Thanks for your help with the *allergies* thing Classicalla. You're great!

#130822 08/22/06 08:09 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
In Swedish, the seven dwarves are - let's see if I remember them all - Kloker (that's Doc, and "klok" means wise, smart), Butter (that's Grumpy, and in Swedish "butter" means exactly that - the fatty stuff you get from milk and spread on sandwiches is called "smör"), Toker (that's Dopey, and "tokig" means, more or less, dopey), Trötter ("trött" means tired), Prosit (that's originally a Latin word, and in Swedish it's a friendly-funny word which you say when someone has sneezed), Blyger ("blyg" means bashful) and Glader ("glad" means, obviously, glad, or happy).

The -er ending in most of the names is an old Norse masculine suffix, not much used in Swedish today.

Thanks for telling me about the dwarves' names in English, DJ! smile And it's great to hear that you have written (re-written!) so much of your story already! clap

Ann

#130823 08/22/06 08:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is everyone yet prepared to admit I am the master fanfic challenge setter? lol wink

#130824 08/22/06 11:03 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We bow to thee, oh, Clark Kent Wannabe, formerly Jensguy. What happened to Jen, anyway? lol

#130825 08/23/06 02:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
And so you should bow wink

Nothing happened to her, I just wanted to change my username, that's all.....

#130826 08/23/06 03:11 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, DJ, I know your story is well underway, but you might just have to at least mention George Reeves Superman since there is a movie coming out about his 'suicide' that many think was actually murder. It's called Hollywoodland. Maybe he could make a very brief appearance but not really be part of the story per se?

#130827 08/23/06 04:43 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Boy you don't ask for much do you? wink

Sorry to disappoint Classicalla, but I'm maxed out on this as it is. CCWB originally requested that I try to hold it to 3 universes and I already pushed that to 4. Plus I've got 4 Supermen, 3 Lois Lane's, a couple of Jimmy's, Perry, and several other characters that I'm trying to write dialogue for and keep them all separate and distinguishable. Whew!

And I'm up to 45 pages now. Getting close to wrapping things up - have everything plotted out. I think it will be 60-65 pages probably. Then I'll be going back through to revise and refine. :-)

But thanks for the suggestion. I'm excited and more than a little apprehensive about all the people who've told me they are looking forward to this story. The pressure's on...

#130828 08/23/06 04:45 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh and just to add a sidebar...

This was a fanfic challenge - maybe someone else out there would like to give it a stab, and they could get George in there.

I'm going to stick with what I've got.

Thanks though! And thanks to those of you out there who've sent me little encouraging notes and telling me you're looking forward to this. Let's hope I can pull it off. laugh

#130829 08/23/06 06:49 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I'm excited and more than a little apprehensive about all the people who've told me they are looking forward to this story. The pressure's on...
Hmmm. Sue just said much the same thing. Don't let it get to you, girl. Heck, we are the ones who should be grateful that you are writing this story in the first place - writing it twice, now!

And like you just said, this premise was a challenge. Yes, I would have liked to see a 1960s kind of comic book Superman, the Curt Swan kind of Superman with the angel face, the Superman who lived in a perfectly clean and shiny sort of ideal society Utopia. Were things really like that back then? Were they that simple and perfect? No, they weren't, not the way I remember them. But the comic books sure were attractive.

But, like you said, DJ. If I'm so eager to have my nostalgic comic book Superman from the 1960s meet with Dean Cain's Superman and Brandon Routh's Superman, I should write the story myself. And so far, I'm not at all *that* eager.

Ann

#130830 08/23/06 09:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
DJ, I was thinking more of a fly in, fly right back out, no dialogue kind of appearance. Nothing major... Besides I was mostly just teasing you a little.

#130831 08/24/06 03:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So would he be in B&W? wink

#130832 08/24/06 08:49 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sure - flys in, takes a look around, decides he'll fly back...

#130833 08/28/06 01:03 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hello everyone. I just spent the last few minutes going back through and re-reading this thread. This was such an interesting idea.

Well, for any of you out there who are keeping track... I'm now up to 58 pages, and still the end is not in sight yet. I still have about 5 more parts to write. Whew! cat

My Muse seems to have abandoned me the past couple of days though. I've tried bribing her with some chocolate but that didn't seem to work. I hope she comes back soon...

Anyway, that's my update (and I have the story backed up in several spots now, so we're safe laugh )

-- MR

#130834 08/28/06 01:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I know you don't like to, but would you consider starting to post the story even though it's not done??

(Nancy hides behind the parentheses waiting for noodle lashes...)

#130835 08/28/06 03:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
cat Eeep! Are you trying to give me a heart attack? wink

I haven't even sent it to my betas yet. I'm trying to give Sue a little break so she can write blush and I have a new beta who offered to do the PG for me.

I'll think about sending the first part off to my betas. I just hate to send anything till I'm done because as I write I'm continuously refining and changing things... I just made a change back on page 5 not 2 days ago.

But I'm hurrying!!! I promise!!!

Thanks for being such a good little nurse and answering all the questions I've had for you, by the way. I appreciate it. laugh

#130836 08/28/06 04:54 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
DJ, I love the idea of having George Reeves' Superman just fly in, take a look, decide he'll fly back home... and be in black and white!!! (Coldn't he come at the very end, perhaps, when everything is wrapped up, and the other Supermen are shaking hands and congratulating one another on a job well done? Perhaps one of the Supermen, or one of the Loises, or someone else, could point at the sky and say, "Look! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's.... Naaahhh....")

Good to hear your story is safely backed up now. And you know, I just loved to hear you say this:
I have a new beta who offered to do the PG for me.
Okay - I won't comment any more on it - just want to say I love it! thumbsup clap

Ann

#130837 08/29/06 03:51 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Ann!

I'll try to work it in, but no promises. Right now I just don't see where I'd put it.

Anyway, can any of you who are following this help me out a little here? I need to know how many floors the Daily Planet building has. I can't seem to recall. Also, what floor is the main newsroom on? I want to say it's on the 4th floor, but how many floors are above that? Just need to know a distance thing.

Also, do you suppose the elevator would go up to the roof? Or just the stairwell?

Thanks for whoever can help me out.

Oh, and P.S. - I'm up to 66 pages now. laugh

#130838 08/30/06 04:09 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Unless there was a parking structure on top of the building I doubt the elevator would go all thew way to the top. I think the safer bet is that only the stairs do.

I'm not sure about the floor the planet is on. frown

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#130839 08/30/06 04:19 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hey, DJ, just a thought. Don't mess up your story on my account.

You're up to 66 pages! Great going, girl!

Ann

#130840 08/30/06 04:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Jo_Jo -

Thanks for the info. That's what I expected. I think I'll moved my request to a new thread and see if I get any more responses to the number of floors thing.

Thanks!

Hi Ann! Thanks for the encouragement!

#130841 09/02/06 02:26 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
DJ, I hope your muse is visiting this story... wink

#130842 09/03/06 01:47 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Nancy - she is. She's still working on this one - but she is dragging her feet a little.

Stubborn Muse.

It does look like someone may have beat me to the punch posting a Superman United story. Check the fanfic section. There's one there entitled Group Therapy. I shyed away from reading it for now - since I'm writing one of my own, but I glanced at a few of the comments and it sounds really good.

Anyway, never fear, I'm still working on it - up to 70 pages now.

Thanks for the point stick wildguy

#130843 09/03/06 09:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have an idea that Group Therapy isn't anything like your story.

#130844 09/04/06 08:01 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree Classicalla. Shayne's was done sorta tongue in cheek. ^_^ Very cute but I am very excited about DJ's take on this.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#130845 09/04/06 12:21 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh, thanks guys! I worked on it a little today on vacation as a matter of fact.

#130846 09/04/06 09:49 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, I didn't think Shayne's story was tongue-in-cheek, but it was short. Basically it had *one* main scene - the Supermen locked up in that cube - and two wrap-up scenes, one with Smallville's Clark and one with LnC's Clark. I'm sure there are going to be many more twists and turns in your story, DJ. Also I'm sure we are going to see more of several Loises.

So I'm sure that your story is going to be nothing like the one Shayne wrote for us.

Ann

#130847 09/06/06 04:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I haven't heard from CCWB in a while, real life must have caught up with him.

Well I'm back from vacation, and I worked on the story. We're up to 76 pages. There are 5 scenes left to write (eeek! This may be my longest story yet)...

And I've sent the first part off to my betas.

dance

#130848 09/06/06 04:46 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
You're up to 76 pages, and you still have five scenes left to write?

Like I said, DJ, your story is going to be nothing like Shayne's! laugh

Ann

#130849 09/08/06 10:08 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How's it going now DJ?! DJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJDJ

#130850 09/08/06 10:22 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Nancy. You're so funny. goofy

It goes well. I am up to 81 pages now and have 3 scenes left to write.

I have sent the first couple of parts off to my beta readers to look at. Once I get a few parts ahead of them on the beta, then I will begin to post. Maybe, hopefully, by Sunday...

Can you believe it? Finally!

This has turned into a much larger story than I originally thought it was going to be. I was thinking 50-60 pages tops and now it's the longest story I've written to date.

So keep your fingers crossed and hold your breath (well maybe not that - I wouldn't want you to turn blue) and hopefully this weekend.

Thanks for keeping that pointy stick after me. laugh

#130851 09/10/06 01:19 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, I promised Nancy I would try to post tonight. So I did. My betas had both gotten part 1 back to me so I've posted it. It may be a few days before I can post part 2... but it has begun.

And the story is pretty much finished. I have one scene left that I'm tweaking, and I need to go back through and rework a couple of things.

Also, I've only posted the first part of the PG version. I have an *n* version also. I'll be posting it later tonight. Still doing a little tweaking on it.

Thanks everyone for all your encouraging comments, suggestions, etc... You're wonderful! This one's for you. Hope you enjoy! peep

#130852 09/10/06 04:58 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, DJ!!!!

#130853 09/23/06 02:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey everyone, just been immigrating to the US, getting married, all that stuff. Hows my challenge goin' Metro? Let me know when you archive your story, coz I'll wanna read the whole thing at once. Thanks. Oh, and this PC could die anytime,just so people know.

Looking forward to Supermen United....

#130854 09/23/06 04:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi... Jensguy... I mean CKWB... I mean L&C-Fan!!! I figured that's what had happened to you.

It will be a while before it's archived. I still haven't finished posting it to the boards yet. I think we're up to part 9 now. I actually am not supposed to be on here right now... I have company and I snuck on here to take a peek at the fdk thread.

Anyway, I think there will be 12 parts and I'm up to part 9.

I can't wait to see what you think though. Congratulations btw and I hope things are going marvelously for you! laugh

#130855 09/30/06 03:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Metro, I'm doin' great....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard