Hey guys, wave

This is what I could come up with for our challenge. I've been doing it for an hour or so in my break from work. I've been missing writing and the challenges are specially dear to me. Anyway, here it is. It wasn't BR-ed but I hope my writing has improved enough to make it readable to you guys. I hope you enjoy and if i don't hear from you.. have a special Xmas and happy new year!

MDL laugh

:::: Five Golden Grins::::::::::

The aluminium christmas tree was dimly lit.

The dark living room and the chill of the winter breeze coming from a half shut window,
made Lois feel gloomy. Again there she was spending Christmas all by herself.

She finished decorating her dinner banquet, adjusting for the tenth time the basil stick
on top of the roasted turkey. With nothing else to do, realization of being alone on Christmas
eve made her curl in her sofa, hug the cushion next to her and cry silently. This year, Clark
wasn't coming for she was the one that drove him to the airport in time to catch a plane to
Smallville. No, this time he wouldn't come for sure.

Earlier in the evening she had tried calling a friend over- JulieS. They've met in the alt-kerth
cerimony - a rare award given only to the very best. She thought it was a long shot
inviting her over, but as she knew she was moving nearby that week and knowing she knew no one
else around, she thought it would be kind and extremely handful that she was around.
Unfortunately, JulieS was jewish and declined her invitation politely, explaining to her why
she would rather stay at home and do... well, Lois didn't catch that part of the explanation,
but it had to do with an unusual family Hannuka tradition -
Something to do with giant candles as far as she could understand.

But that didn't matter. Nothing mattered. Lois starred at the strange object hanging from the top
of the tree by a nylon string. A plastic superman wearing a santa claus hat that every now and then turned
on and flew around the tree.Jimmy had given it to her, stating that when he saw it at the toy store, he
couldn't help to think it would be the best present ever for Lois.

"Yeah, right," she mumbled to herself.

The surprise Perry had given was not less useless than Jimmy's though. There she was, cupping
her face with her hands, wondering who to invite over for dinner, when Perry came dressed as
Santa and handed her a present. When she opened, she could not believe her own eyes
- an alluminium X-mas tree! She furrowed her eyebrows and with a quizzical look she asked,
"What the heck is this for??" Then she heard the most indignant answer ever! "Lois, with the way
you treat the plants on your desk, spilling hot coffee or any other drinks on them instead of
proper water, you couldn't expect that a Christmas tree given today would actually make it until
midnight, could you?"

With a snort, she saw perry leaving, singing a carol. "On the first day of christmas,
my true boss sent to me, an alluminum tree..."

She was furious! Clark was laughing out loud, provoking rage in the wrong person. Lois rose from her chair,
seized her bag and told Clark it was time for his flight. Although it was three hours earlier than he was
supposed to leave, he agreed, swallowing the laugh, trying to be serious. When they arrived in the airport,
Lois hugged him awkwardly. half anagry, half resentful that he this time had chosen to travel and spend christmas
with his parents - Why would they need him there anyway? they had one another! - she selfishly thought.

Back again to the dark reality of her apartment, Lois saw a strange shadow across her window. She immediately got
on her feet, throwing the cushion on the floor, and opening the window wide. The cold snow flakes were now invading
the room, making her momentaneously blind. Appart from the christmas carrol singers downstairs, there was nothing
out of the window. Still, she stood there, listening to the same Carrols she listened to last year beside Clark.

A crack behind her made her alarmed. She armed herself with a heavy wood spoon and walked in the dark towards her bedroom.

There was a strange noise coming from it and an odd light was coming from the edges of the closed bedroom door. Now that was
weird.She silently reached the phone and dialed the first phone that came to her mind - Clark's. But Clark wasn't in metropolis
as she reminded herself after the second ring on the phone. calling the police over something stupid during Christmas eve was
just something out of question. So, she decided she would have to manage it herself. After all it was very unlikely that someone
would break into someone's house during Christmas day. Burglars also have family for God's sake!

Bravely, Lois stepped forward, heading carefully to the bedroom. Checking the wood spoon grabbed firmly by her right hand, she
turned the knob and pushed the door.

No one was there.

she felt relieved for a second. That was when she saw a gleaming object on top of her bed. A crystal turtle-dove that reflected
navy blue rays of light whenever the cars on the street outside crossed the road with their lights on.

She sat on her bed and touched the crystal turtle-dove. It wasn't there when she had last checked, and she could feel it was rather
warmer than crystal usually are when left alone. No, this was just left, and it had been handled
for a while assuming the body temperature of the bearer. But, before she could think about any
plausible explanation, a tender voice answered her inner questions. "You really thought I'd leave you to stay alone during Christmas?"

she turned, seeking for the source of the voice behind her. It was he, Superman, standing in front of her, blocking the door of her
bedroom, with a sweet smile on his face.

"Oh, Superman! You're here! You came!" Her eyes were sparkling. The surprise couldn't be better.

"I just came to see how you are and to give you your present. And to invite you for dinner over the kents. They invited me, but I could
only stay for a bit as I had to - he strecthed an arm, miming his flying gesture - to patrol
around. But they made me swear to bring you over at least for dinner. Clark's given the idea and I think it's better than staying here
don't you think?" They will be throwing a boxing party and The Kents demanded I persuaded you to come. So, you're coming, right?"

"I won't miss it for the world!" she said happily.

Arriving with Superman, Lois was welcome by the Kents. After saying good bye and wishing merry Christmas to Superman, she came inside
and met Clark, preparing the dinner table. His Smile from one corner of the mouth to the other, made her beam. she was happy she was
there, but she wouldn't admit it.

After dinner, she returned to her gloomy mood, fixing her glaze on a far away tree she could see through the living room window.
Feeling Clark's warm body coming closer, Lois spoke without looking back, "I never thought about Christmas this way."

"Don't tell me you're actually enjoying it. Enjoying the surprise Superman and us gave you," Clark joked.

She turned and gave him a hafl insulted, half malicious look. "Don't be silly. You know I'd rather get the five golden rings!"

The End. laugh

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."