Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#129317 09/05/04 08:17 AM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well, I did already say that I loved this, CC, but in case you need reminding - I loved this, CC! goofy

And, in case you're wondering, this is the bit which absolutely, beyond any doubt, convinced me that it was you:

What if Superman spoke feline? She wouldn’t put it past him. He was fluent in...how many languages? Clark had mentioned that once, had read the Chinese fortune cookie...

“And now that I take a good look at you, you remind me of someone. Turning up where you aren’t expected. Maybe a little predatory. Probably you take after your owner? The major difference being that you’re here on my lap, and she’s currently hiding under my bed wearing a really short skirt.”

He had the nerve to laugh at the shocked squeak she couldn’t smother.

“Really short,” he continued. “Don’t think I didn’t take advantage of the view...because, well, it is my place, after all...”
I'd had my suspicions before then, but after that there was no way I'd believe it was anyone other than you. It was mostly the humour in your dialogue and introspection, CC, but even more the way you use ellipses. wink

Now, when do we get another story from you??? wildguy wildguy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Loved it, CC! So fun rotflol and sweet! rotflol rotflol rotflol My absolute favourite. It still pops in my mind every so often and makes me laugh!!

Who? Who was not in love with Clark?! And really, how dare they not be? She wasn’t interested in him, herself, of course. But that was because she had...Him. Still, there was practically nothing wrong with Clark, and once she had borrowed the globe and gotten away, she would put in a good word for him to...whomever...

The cat eyed her skeptically. But what did it know? She was perfectly capable of doing nice things. Lois stuck her tongue out at it.
rotflol Typical Lois thinking! rotflol

“I know, Mom....No, really, I do know. Yes, he is me. I am him. There is no difference-”

Lois exchanged a puzzled look with the cat. What do you make of that? she asked it silently. Some kind of new age philosophy? All are One, or something like that?
rotflol rotflol My brother also liked that, which makes it three out of five members of my family - the other two didn't get to listen to that. So, I'd say you have excellent statistics smile

Oh, poor Clark. The woman who didn’t love him had eyes for someone else. She really ought to be nicer to him, Lois decided right there under his bed. Tomorrow at work, she would bring him coffee.

“Ok, ok. He technically is me....No, I do not have a split personality. I know exactly who I am...Mom, can we not go over this again? We both end up confused.”

Poor Clark. So messed up. Identity crisis. She would bring him a donut with that coffee. Maybe even the best one from the batch. Or the second best one.
rotflol rotflol rotflol

Oh - and, why I guessed it was you? As I've already said, it kinda reminded me of 'Lois Unbuttoned'. Same twisted sense of humour laugh

See ya + keep writing,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yep, this was great! Some of my favorites:

When the drenched cat on Clark Kent’s doorstep hissed and spat at her, Lois Lane hissed and spat right back
“Fine,” she breathed. “But I know nothing about you. Be thinking of your alibi.”
Poor Clark. So messed up. Identity crisis. She would bring him a donut with that coffee. Maybe even the best one from the batch. Or the second best one.
The cat gave a muffled meow. A series of them. It was answering. Telling on her. The fink!
And of course, Clark's end of the conversation with his parents-- brilliant, CC!

Excellent; really funny, and I hope you expand on it!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great story, CC! It's nice to see you're still capable of vignettes. wink Just cute. And hilarious. Poor Lois! It *is* a great revelation. Wonder what happens after this...

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When I read this, I was seized with a horrible wave of envy... I only *wish* I'd written this... it's brilliant. Hilarious and poignant... hurry up and put it on the archive so it'll be easier to find for re-reading!

PJ
who didn't read all the contest stories and is a rotten guesser anyway

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yup, it's just wonderful. smile

Yvonne

Top Banana
Top Banana
That was absolutely the cutest thing! It was a perfect example of a short story and I loved it. hail

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Did you Guess the Writer? Well, unless you're Sara...you did! So, this is dedicated to her, for giving me the satisfaction of fooling someone!!
laugh rotflol shock wildguy wildguy .

Sara (who's quite honored...though incredibly embarrassed...to have a story dedicated to her )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I haven't looked at many of these 'challenge' stories because, while I have nothing against dogs or cats (as opposed to kids), I'm not a pet owner nor will I ever be one. The responsibility that comes with the care of a pet is not something I want to have to deal with.

But, your ability with humor encouraged me to give this one a try. I'm glad I did. It was very well done. The cat was very cat-like (many of my friends have cats), but the best for me was Lois. Lois was *very* Lois-like.

It was easy to picture Lois doing all those things you had her doing. The visuals were clear, and the actions contained the right humorous bent without looking, or feeling silly.

Tank (who is glad that CC had written something again, but is waiting for that next big fic from her)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
CC I really loved this one! I wish there was even more. I'd love to see just what Lois would say to Clark. I have to say that is the funniest revelation I ever read<g> Looking forward to more from you. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I'm simply eaten up with envy. (Or should that be jealousy - where is El when you need her? <g>). Or, at least, I would have been, reading this, if I hadn't been laughing so hard it was hard to form any coherent thoughts.

Chockful, of course, of CC's wonderful witty dialogue and narrative. Won't quote any lines - for one thing I'd be here all night. But I think I may have broken a rib somewhere in the middle there.

And just adored those last paras - clap

Just adorable. notworthy notworthy

LabRat [Linked Image]

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well CC, what's left to say? Being relatively new to this group, when people were guessing who wrote what, I went to see what else you'd written on the archive. Ha! That's when I decided it was you that wrote it, too.

I loved it. I just loved it. I wish I had been there! Actually, I felt like I was there! The only trouble with revelations is that once she gets it, she's got it! darn! But I love the trouble she's in. For once it's not him that's in trouble!

It's always such an embarrassment. Having to do away with someone. It's like announcing to the world that you lack the savvy and the finesse to deal with the problem more creatively. I mean, there have been times, naturally, when I've had to have people eliminated, but it's always saddened me. I've always felt like I've let myself down somehow.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
CC

This is superb. smile1

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thank you!

I so appreciate all the good words and comments! This was fun to try, and as Saskia pointed out, quite rightly, it was with great relief that I realized I can write a short story if I set my mind to it...or, really, if I have no choice...

Sara, I dedicated this to you with sincere appreciation for being the one reader to not guess me! Otherwise, I might as well have just entered this with my name on it. So, thank you. And for confusing me with Paul, too, the Master of Things Silly. I take that as high praise.

Some of you wondered what happens next. And I did have a few extra lines, but decided to end with the rather cheap and easy "what the cat dragged in." I just had Clark lift the bed with one hand. Holding it aloft, while still holding the cat. Lois scrambling to her feet and declaring that that answered a burning question for her: why he had no dust bunnies...eh...see? I think I did better stopping where I did<g>.

Thank you to Anna, and Anna's family! Got such a kick out of your comments. Wendy, who caught me on the ellipses. So true. And in fact, when I reposted, I went ahead and added all the ones I made myself cut out in a weak attempt to disguise that addiction. Sas, Toc, Ethnica, Laura, Lab(!), Tank, Sara, Auntie Y. An aside, Yvonne, in your guessing on this piece, you mentioned that initially it sounded a bit like you. That was entirely by design. I was trying to evoke your more expressive introspection. So, I'm happy you noticed. And then again, it still fooled no one. tipiwoman, who is new and still knew it was me!Tricia. And Pam, you paid me such a nice compliment, reading and feeling jealous. I know exactly what you mean, and appreciate your generous words.

Thanks to everyone. And to Lynn for all the work!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Once again, here I am, showing up late. And now pretty much everything I wanted to say has been said. I'll repeat some of it, though.

This was hilarious, CC. You knew that, right? Just in case you'd missed everyone else saying it, I'll make sure by saying it, too.

I absolutely love Lois's introspection here. Very Lois, and very amusing.

Great revelation, too. Who says there are no new revelations?

And, wow. I think you could actually maybe sort of get me to consider the possibility that I might someday meet a cat I'd actually like. How's that for high praise?

Great ending, too, but I'm torn. The alternate you mentioned sounds really fun.

In any case, I think I mentioned this before, but I'll say it here because it needs to be said. I'm honored to have been confused with this story. Talking to Sara on IRC, I had to keep myself from saying something like "but, Sara, I don't write that well..."

Great job, CC.

But, as they say, you're only as good as your next story. What do you have waiting for us next? I want more!

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard