Sorry I took so long; graduation, new puppy keeping me from sleep, you know how it goes. wink
Here's part 4. Hope you enjoy it. smile

----------------------------

From Part 3:
“Clark,” his mother cut in, “you’re old enough to decide for yourself what you’re going to do. We’ll support you whatever you decide. We love you, Sweetie.”

“Thanks, Mom, Dad. I love you too.”

They exchanged good-byes, and Clark hung up. He dropped his head into his hands. What *was* he going to do?

And Now, Part 4:

Clark tapped on Lois’ window. The week was up, and he’d finally made his decision.

“Come in.”

Lois had obviously been waiting for him. He landed in her living room and strode over to her.

She looked up at him expectantly. “Well?”

He took a deep breath to calm his nerves. Here it goes, he thought. “Lois, I’ve thought it over, and I’ve decided to help you. I would be honored to be your child’s father.”

She lit up, the smile on her face making his heart thump wildly. “Oh, Superman, I’m so glad! Let’s get started; the bedroom’s this way…”

She took his hand and started to lead him away. He stopped her and pulled his hand out of hers. “Lois, before we do this, there’s something I have to tell you.”

She looked at him, puzzled. “What?”

He took a step back and spun. When he stopped, he stood before her dressed in a business suit and glasses. “I’m really Clark Kent.”

Lois’ jaw dropped. “I don’t believe it!”

“It’s true.”

Her eyes flashed. “I mean I don’t believe it; you’ve been lying to me all this time?!”

Clark swallowed. “Well, Lois, you see---”

“I thought you were my best friend! Some friend you turned out to be!”

Clark’s voice was a mere squeak. “Lois---”

“And now you expect me to carry your child?! You sick pig!” She slapped him. Hard. Clark was surprised to note that it actually hurt.

“Lois…”

“You’re a jerk, Clark Kent! Or should I call you Superman?”

Clark could feel himself shrinking under the onslaught of Lois’ rage.

“I never want to see you again!” She threw her hands up in disgust and started to pace. “Now what am I going to do? I only have a limited amount of time to find a father and get pregnant…”

As if on cue, the door knocked. Lois opened it. Clark cringed when he saw who was on the other side.

“Lex! What a surprise!”

Luthor grinned. “Lois, darling! I heard how your friend here---” he nodded in Clark’s direction, “---turned out to be a lower life form than you’d initially thought. How would you like to move into my penthouse with me? We’ll laugh at this poor chap’s misery while we raise our little Lex Jr. together!”

Lois smiled. “Oh, how sweet! Thankyou, Lex!”

Luthor scooped Lois into his arms. She giggled. Then, Lex carried her to the window and suddenly lifted up…up…and away…

Clark sat bold upright in his bed, cold sweat streaming down his skin. Yesterday’s conversation with Lois must’ve rattled him more than he thought! He glanced at the clock. It read four a.m. Well, he’d have to get up in a few hours anyway…

Lois wandered to her desk like a zombie. She’d been tossing and turning all night. The few hours of sleep she’d gotten were filled with nightmares about bottles and diapers; the scariest was one in which her baby grew up and wrote a tell-all book called “I Had the Worst Mommy in the World!” She shuddered just thinking about it.

She sat in front of her computer and stared at its blank screen. Maybe this whole “baby” thing wasn’t such a hot idea.

“Hi, Lois! How’s your appendix?”

After all, she wasn’t cut out to be a mother; just look at the role model she’d had! That alone guaranteed disaster in the child-rearing department.

“Lois? Are you okay?”

And then there was her career---having a child could really get in the way! No more overtime or midnight stakeouts, just regular nine to five hours; and that was assuming she could find a decent daycare!

“Lois! Earth to Lois! Come in, Lois!”

Conversely, her job might affect the whole “mother” thing. It was a dangerous job, after all, and she might one day be killed! It wasn’t likely, but it was a possibility. Or maybe one of the many, many, *many* enemies she’d made thanks to her job would kidnap her or the baby! That was something to consider…

“Lois, did the doctor put you on some kind of medication or something?”

How did all those other women do it? The ones with full-time jobs, no husbands, and about two or three kids? What was their secret? How did they cope?

“Oh, I get it, you’re ignoring me, right? Well, no problem, I’ll just talk to myself! Hi, Jimmy, how are you? Oh, I’m fine, Jimmy. Thanks for asking!”

Having a baby would definitely be a real challenge, and she had no idea if she would ever be up to it. Unfortunately, this would be her only chance to find out. Did Lois Rosemarie Lane have what it takes to be a mommy?

“So, Jimmy, do you think the Met Nets are gonna win the championship? Well, Jimmy, I think their chances are really good. That’s just what I think, Jimmy!”

Well, never let it be said that Lois Lane backed away from a challenge! If she ran away from this now, and later decided that she *wanted* to be a mother after all, she’d never forgive herself! No, it was better to just face the music and take her medicine while she still had the chance.

“It sure is nice weather we’re having, isn’t it, Jimmy? Yes, Jimmy, it’s---”

“Son? What are you doing?”

“Chief! Um, I was just---uh…”

“Never mind, son. I don’t think I want to know. Lois?”

Perry’s voice snapped her back to reality. “Hmm? Oh, hi, Perry.”

“Hi, yourself. Don’t you think that computer would be more fascinating if it were turned on?”

Lois blushed. “Sorry, Perry. I was just---lost in thought, I guess.”

Perry nodded. “I see. Jimmy, get back to the photo lab and find something constructive to do.”

“Um, sure, Chief. Oh, Lois, you got a message from Lex Luthor while you were in surgery. He wants you to call him at this number.”

“Thanks, Jimmy.”

Jimmy handed a paper to Lois and took off for the photo lab. She put it on top of her desk. Perry looked at her.

“How’d the operation go, Darlin’?”

“Hmm? Oh, fine…fine…”

Perry’s expression grew concerned. “Something’s wrong. What is it?”

“Nothing, Perry. Really. It’s just---” She could tell by the look on his face that he didn’t believe her. “It’s personal, Perry. One of those female things---”

“Say no more!” Perry put his hands up. “But Lois, honey, if you ever need to talk, my door is always open.”

She smiled. “Thanks, Perry.”

Perry went back into his office, and Lois went back to her thoughts. She cast a glance at Clark’s unoccupied desk. His things were there, so apparently he had come in and left without her noticing. Perhaps he’d gone to meet a source?

She switched on her computer and looked up at the TV monitors while she waited for it to boot up. Superman was helping with a fire. Lois watched as he flew into the upper floor of the blazing building and came out carrying a small child. For a brief moment, unnoticeably, almost imperceptibly, he paused and seemed to consider the toddler in his arms. No one else noticed this, but Lois’ breath caught at the sight of it. Her hand absently flew up to her stomach as she watched Superman return the child to its parents.

The firemen put out the blaze, Superman flew off, and Lois turned back to her computer. Work. She had to work. She had to call Lex… Lois scrambled for the paper Jimmy had given her and reached for the phone. She didn’t notice Clark enter the newsroom and walk zombie-like toward his desk.

TBC

~•~