Author's Note: Thanks to Julie Stars for beta reading my initial submission. Hope you like it.

House of Cards - Part 8

As Lois closed the kitchen door behind her she heard Inspector Henderson's friendly growl. "Okay, Lois. What do you want to know that I'm not going to tell you, *this time*?"

Lois could hear his grin through the telephone wires. Henderson was a good man, an honest man, and she needed some honesty, and right now. She answered softly, "Nothing new. I just need to know about Lex Luthor's surveillance of Paul Hattman over at LNN. As you were the arresting officer-"

Henderson interrupted her. "Lois, I don't know where you're getting your information, but I didn't arrest Paul Hattman. You may be a prize-winning investigative journalist, but you're losing your touch."

Lois' head swam and she had to lean on the nearby counter. She whispered, "But the court order, the legal surveillance…you mean, you didn't arrest…" Her voice trailed off. If Henderson hadn't been the arresting officer, then all of Lex's smooth explanation had just been a ruse to get her off the trail. Lex *had lied* to her. The bugs and the surveillance had been on her, not Hattman! She was getting ready to marry a liar - and a criminal.

Henderson, confused, said, "I don’t have a clue about anything you're talking about but the press has already reported everything we're releasing about the case. Can't help you." He added brusquely, "Do you need anything else? Because if not I'm super busy."

Lois steadied her voice and answered in a normal tone, "No. Thank you for everything. You've been an incredible help. Bye."

Henderson replied, "Bye," and hung up.

Lois put down her telephone and put her head into her hands. <I can't believe it! I must be blind and the worst judge of character in the world. I was going to marry a man who spied on me just because I thought I couldn't do any better. Have I lost my mind? Being alone is better than this.>
Lex sat in the living room waiting for Lois to finish her telephone call. <She left me to answer a phone call! She'll *soon* learn that kind of behavior will not be tolerated. After today I will be the only one with any secrets. The little wife had better learn how to live her life by my rules, and quickly. Lois has always has had a little too much spirit, but I'll soon take care of that.> He blew out a deep breath. <Just look at this dump! I'll be moving her from this hovel to my mansion. That lucky girl will have all the luxuries I choose to give her and a social position she could have never achieved on her own in a million years. She is a *very* lucky girl. I'll remind her of that on the way to Las Vegas. It's time I start grooming her for her new role.> Feeling totally in control, he leaned back on the couch and began to hum tunelessly.
Clark listened to Lex hum as he waited for Lois to come back into the living room. <They're going to the airport? Where are they going? And if Lois has found something, what is it? > He needed to get someplace safe where he could recoup his powers, if possible, but he couldn't leave until he knew Lois was safe.

<Wait a minute! What am I *doing*? She's made her choice. 'All I can think about is being your husband, Lois.'?!? Lois is going to *marry* Lex. There's no reason for me to be here.>

He released the door and started down the hallway but his conscience stopped him. No matter what Lex did to him, no matter how blind or stubborn Lois was being, he couldn't let her become a willing victim to Lex's devious duplicity. He went back to the door and as he started to push it open, Lois came back into her living room, ready for battle. He held onto the door and listened to their conversation.

Lois stopped in front of Lex and stood with her hands on her hips. "Just who the hell do you think you are?"

Lex was startled and sat dumbly for a moment. Lois could see the wheels in his head turning as he tried to figure out which scheme she had uncovered. He didn't have long to wait.

"I can't believe you *bugged* my office! If you think I'm going to marry a man who spied on me, you must be even *crazier* than you think I am."

Lex rose from the couch and said smoothly, "Lois, didn't I explain about the devices that were in your office? Hattman-"

Lois interrupted him angrily, "I just spoke to Inspector Henderson who has no knowledge of any devices authorized for surveillance on Hattman being legally installed in my office, Lex. Of course, since he wasn't the arresting officer, he could have been mistaken." Her furious outburst took all her breath and she had to pause for a moment before she could continue her rant.

An suddenly irate Lex started to stalk the room. "*You* checked up on *me*? You had the nerve to check up on *ME*? How DARE you? Don't you know I’m *Lex Luthor*? You're lucky I even *noticed* you." He stopped in front of Lois and thrust his face less than an inch from hers. His spittle hit her face as he growled, "I've tried to treat you like a lady but you just can't leave well enough alone. You think I don't know about Joe? And Paul? And Claude? And your crush on Superman? How many times has he dropped his cape in here?" He laughed harshly. "I know *all* about you and I'm still going to marry you. I don't know why I still want you, but I do. And I'm going to have you - as my wife. You will assume your role in public and only *I* will know what you're *really* like."

Clark had never thought blood could actually boil until that moment. He wanted to crush Luther like a bug. Lois obviously had the same thought. She looked Lex up and down and smirked, "My past is none of *your* business. And I wouldn't have you now if you were the last man on earth. I'd never risk continuing your lineage. One Lex Luthor is enough."

Lex, trembling with rage, grabbed her upper arms and pulled her close to his body. "My lineage was already guaranteed before I met you but I don't have a legitimate heir, yet. You will provide that for me. This is the last time I'm going to explain this to you so listen closely: I want you. You'll make an ideal hostess in public and do whatever I want in private. I'm a generous man and you'll soon be grateful for what that means. But when you talk like this, well, my generosity decreases by the minute."

Lois unsuccessfully attempted to pull away from Lex, yelling, "Let go of me, you megalomaniac! I'm not going anywhere with you! You're *insane*!"

As she pulled, Lex reached into this coat pocket and removed a small silver cylinder. He sprayed the contents of the cylinder into Lois' face, causing her to collapse with a groan. Once Lois went limp, he picked her up, put her motionless form over his left shoulder, grabbed her mother's wedding veil, and carried her out of the apartment.

Clark, hearing Lois' groan and Lex's approaching footsteps, ducked back down the side hallway. He soon saw Lex adjust his hostage and push the button for the elevator.

Lex slapped Lois' bottom and said, "Las Vegas awaits, my dear. When you awake this time tomorrow you'll gladly be Mrs. Lex Luthor and all this drama will be behind us. There will be no more scenes. You'll be happy in your place - which will be wherever and whatever I decide it will be."

The elevator arrived and Lex entered its doors. The car descended.

Clark leaned back against the wall, shocked, appalled, and disoriented. It was worse than he had ever imagined. Lois was going to marry a man who had no respect for her except as a trophy, a bed partner, and a brood mare.

Walking back to the elevator Clark glanced over and saw that Lois' door was wide open. <Lex has no respect for her property either. > As he reached for her door he decided it was time to call on his most trusted friends. He entered her apartment and closed the door, noting the splinters thoughtfully and making sure he fastened all five locks. He sat down on the couch, reached for Lois' telephone, and dialed the most familiar telephone number he knew.

"Hello."

TBC