Home: On the Fourth Day of Christmas ... 3/?
by Nan smith

Previously:

Clark stepped out of the stairwell nearly two hours later. Uma watched him cross the room to Lori's desk and lean over her shoulder. She moved quickly to interrupt before they could get all lovey-dovey again. If it hadn't been so annoying it would have been pathetic, watching the two of them making out in public like lovesick seventh graders. "How did it go?"

Clark straightened up and glanced at her, his heavy eyebrows drawn together in a slight frown. "Fine, Uma. I got a quote from Superwoman to fill out the article, too." He turned back to Lori. "Find anything, honey?"

"Maybe a pattern." She indicated the screen. "The red numbers are the locations and sequence of last year's victims, and the blue are their last known location before they turned up dead. And the green and yellow --"

"Are this year's," Clark finished. "This was the location of Mandy Hart." He touched the tiny, yellow 3, grimacing at the reminder of the earlier scene by the Expressway. "Her last known location, according to what Velma told me a few minutes ago, was the Old Telephone Company Bar, over on Notary Street."

"About a mile away." Lori added the green three. "See the pattern, Clark?"

He nodded. "I think so."

"What pattern?" Uma demanded.

"The names of the streets. He's picking them up in locations starting with the same letters as the ones last year, and in the same order," Clark said. "Which means that sometime between twelve and one, tonight, he's going to be on some street beginning with the letter D, looking for his next victim."

And now, Part 3:

"Tell me," Velma Chow said, sounding as sour as Clark had ever heard her, "how do you and Lyons come up with these things?"

"Lori figured it out," he said. "I'll email you a copy if you like, and you can look at it for yourself."

"Do that," Velma said. "At the most, we know a little more than we did, but do you have any idea how many streets in this city start with the letter 'D'?"

"A lot," Clark said. "Superman says he's notifying the others to be alert, tonight."

"Tell him thanks for me, would you, Kent?" Velma said. She rubbed a hand across her face. "If this pans out and we get him, it'll be the first full night's sleep I've had in three nights. Every precinct in the city will have its whole fleet of aircars up, too, but a few 'super' eyes in the sky could make the difference."

"Funny, that's what he said."

The lieutenant gave a dry smile and signed off. Clark turned back to his wife, waited while she sent the promised email and then grinned at her woeful expression as she looked unhappily at the empty doughnut box. "How about we go get some dinner, Lori? I think you've done enough for today. It's almost nine-thirty."

Lori hesitated and then removed her laptop from one of the drawers of her desk. "I have the feeling I'm missing something, Clark. I want to take this along."

"What could you possibly be missing? There's only so much a map can tell you."

"I don't know, but there's something." Lori stood up and he reached out to take the laptop and clasp her fingers tightly in his.

"Okay, but we're going to get you a full meal. Doughnuts aren't exactly the most balanced diet in the city."

"Where are we eating?" Uma inquired, appearing next to him and taking his free arm.

Clark extracted his arm from his great-great-granddaughter's hand, wondering how he was going to shake her when it came time to go home to bed -- or did she plan on coming back to the apartment with them as well? John had mentioned she was staying in the spare room at his place, but it was starting to look as if Uma had attached herself to them for the duration. "Sorry," he said. "It's a little awkward to walk that way, carrying a laptop."

Uma glanced significantly at his and Lori's joined hands, but he deliberately ignored the hint. If he chose to hold his wife's hand, it wasn't anyone's business to tell him he couldn't.

"I suppose we could eat downstairs," Lori said. "The lunchroom doesn't close until ten."

"Forget it. Kerry's will be open until midnight."

"Okay," Lori agreed. "We haven't been there in a while."

"What's Kerry's?" Uma asked.

"It's a family restaurant where we eat once or twice a month," Lori said. "Their food is really good."

"Oh." Uma didn't seem impressed but she followed them as they headed toward the elevator.

Kerry's was about half full when they arrived, and a dusting of snow had begun to sift down. Clark let Lori and Uma precede him and followed them into the warmth of the restaurant.

There were several people ahead of them, waiting to be seated, but the delay was only a few minutes before Amy, the pretty hostess, greeted them. "Hi, Mr. Kent! We were wondering if you'd forgotten us. We haven't seen you in almost a month."

"No," Clark said. "Just busy. Lori and I just came back from Aspen this morning."

"Oh, wow," Amy said, enviously. "I'd love to go to Aspen for a holiday. How was the skiing? I see that Lori doesn't have a cast on her ankle, this time."

"I wasn't quite so adventurous this year," Lori said. "I think I'm getting better, though."

"Definitely," Clark said. "A couple more skiing trips and you'll be really good."

"I've been skiing since I was six," Uma said. "I was on the advanced slopes at Vale, last year."

"Amy, this is my niece, Uma Kent," Clark said. "Amy's family runs Kerry's, Uma."

"Oh," Uma said.

"Nice to meet you," Amy said. "Would you like your usual table?" At Clark's nod, she picked up three menus. "This way."

The small table near the rear of the restaurant was Clark's favorite. The lighting was dimmer than near the front but not so dim that people had to inspect their plates carefully in order to be certain of what they were eating.

Clark held Lori's chair and then turned to Uma. She gave him a brilliant smile as she took her seat. "Thank you, Clark. You're always such a gentleman."

He slid into the chair next to his wife's. "My mother and father made sure I learned good manners," he said, mildly. "I've never forgotten them."

"I wish more people did," Amy said, with a smile. "Sometimes I wonder who's running the families these days, the parents or the kids." She set the menus down and smiled at them. "Is there anything else that you need?"

"Not yet," Clark said. "Thanks, Amy."

She smiled. "Only the best for you and Lori. Jake will be here in a few minutes."

"That was disgusting," Uma said, when she had gone.

"What was?" Clark asked, surprised.

"That woman. She was flirting with you."

"Amy?" Clark said. "Amy's happily married and has a new baby. She was just being friendly."

"How do you know?" she asked.

"I've been coming to Kerry's for years," he said, calmly. "I know the whole family. Amy's husband is one of the cooks here. He used to work at Kerry's full time but he graduated from gourmet cooking school a few months ago, and he's just been hired by La Provence as one of the new assistant chefs, so now he's only here two evenings a week. He and Amy just had their first child three months ago. Her father owns the place, and her mother handles the business end. Her brother, Jake, goes to Metro City College and works here part time, too. Here he comes, now."

A boy in his late teens was approaching with water glasses and silverware. He grinned at Clark and Lori. "Hi, Mr. Kent. Hi, Ms. Kent. Have a good vacation?"

"The best," Clark assured him. "You?"

"I'm doing great," Jake assured him, setting the tableware neatly in front of them. "Take some time to look over the menu and I'll be back to take your order in a few minutes, okay?"

"Sounds good," Clark said. He glanced across the table. "This is my niece, Uma, Jake. She's visiting for a couple of days."

"Nice to meet you," Jake said, with a smile. "Back shortly."

Uma scowled after him. "Are *all* the employees here this chatty?"

"It's a family restaurant, with a regular clientele," Clark said. "I've been coming by here for nearly five years, and I brought Lori here for the first time over a year ago. They know us. Why?"

Uma shrugged. "No reason. I guess I'm not in the mood to talk."

"It's late," Lori said. "You're probably tired, Uma. When we're through here, why don't we take you back to John's place? Clark's going to be out late tonight, after all, and we're going to want to get an early start tomorrow morning."

"No," Uma said. "You're going to be waiting to see if they catch this guy, aren't you? I'll wait, too."

Clark resisted the temptation to roll his eyes. "You said yourself that it wasn't likely that we'd find anything," he pointed out. "If we do, we'll call John and he'll let you know."

Uma shook her head, looking stubborn. "I'm supposed to write a report about this experience," she said. "I'll stick it out. I can sleep later."

Lori cast a glance at her, and Clark saw her start to open her mouth and then close it firmly. "Well," he said, "why don't you pick out what you want. Jake will be back in a few minutes."

Uma glanced quickly at the menu. "I always watch my calories very strictly," she said, closing it. "Would you order me the chicken salad and a diet soda if he comes back before I do?" She smiled sweetly at Clark. "I'm sorry I sounded cross. You're right, I'm a little tired, but I wouldn't miss this for anything. I'm just going to the powder room to freshen up."

"Sure," Clark said.

Uma walked quickly away from the table. Clark raised his eyebrows at Lori. "What do you suppose got into her?" he asked, softly. "I get the feeling she isn't really enjoying this Shadow a Journalist thing."

"I think I'd better tell you ..." Lori was beginning, when Clark's wrist talker beeped very softly. With an apologetic look at her, he lifted it to his lips. "Kent," he said.

"Clark?" Rhonda's voice said. "It's Ronnie. I have the results of those tests for you."

He turned the sound down and held the little device close to Lori's ear. "Yes?" he said.

"I thought you'd want to know as soon as possible," Rhonda's voice said, "so I put a rush order on them for you. You can tell Lori that she can relax. Everything is fine."

"Thanks," Clark said. "I'm glad to know it, and so is she."

"You're welcome," Rhonda's voice said, and he could hear a chuckle in it. "I'll be waiting to hear the announcement. Good night, Clark."

"Good night," he said.

Lori was looking at him with wide eyes, and he grinned at her. "Well, that's it. Ronnie says we have a green light, honey."

Her eyes filled suddenly with tears, and he handed her his napkin. "Are you all right?"

She nodded, hastily blotting at her face. "I guess I didn't realize how scared I was," she said.

He took her hand. "Well, the suspense is over," he said. "Why don't you order something special, tonight? This is worth a celebration."

"Uma will think I'm being a pig," she said. "She already mentioned how much I eat while we were waiting for you, earlier."

"I don't really care what she thinks," Clark said. He lifted her hand to his lips and kissed the knuckles. "And I don't think she should hear about this before the brothers- and sisters-to-be, do you? How about the prime rib, with all the trimmings?"

"That sounds wonderful," Lori agreed. "And some of the non-alcoholic champagne, to celebrate?"

"That's a great idea," he agreed, smiling back at her suddenly beaming expression. "Non alcoholic champagne it is. Here comes Jake."

It was after eleven when they left the restaurant. Uma watched as Clark helped Lori with her coat and put a solicitous arm around her waist. "Are you sure you want to stay up for this, honey?" he asked. "You should be getting more sleep. I can let you know what happens."

She shook her head. "I have an interest in this too. Besides, I'm still trying to figure out what it is I'm missing. Uma and I will go over to the 12th Precinct. Maybe Velma will let us listen in on what's going on."

"I was hoping I could go along with Clark," Uma said.

"No," Lori said, flatly. "This part is his job, Uma, and we're not going to get in his way."

"Don't you think that he should be the one to decide that?" Uma said, bristling. "Just because you're married to him doesn't mean you make all the decisions, does it?"

"No, of course it doesn't." Clark sounded surprised. "She's right, though. Having anyone with me will just slow me down. We're trying to catch a killer, tonight. I need to be able to concentrate on what I'm doing." He added, "I'm wearing my wrist talker as usual, Lori. If you need to get hold of me for any reason ..."

She nodded. "I'll only call you if it's important. Why don't Uma and I drive over to the 12th now. We'll meet you there afterwards."

"I'll drive over with you," he said. "Far be it from me to leave the two of you alone with a killer out there."

She made a face at him. "All right, but I'm driving."

"Who else?" he said. "Let's go, shall we?"

"Why does Lori always drive?" Uma asked, suddenly. "When my mom and dad go places, my dad usually drives."

"Because Lori gets motion sick," Clark said. He opened the back door of the Jeep for Uma and then walked around to open the driver's door for Lori. "Let's hope that after tonight the Christmas Killer's only concerns will be the State of New Troy's justice system."

"Amen to that," Lori said. In the rear seat, Uma rolled her eyes. How many millions of people did Metropolis currently have? They weren't going to catch the Christmas Killer except by the sheerest good luck, even if this so-called pattern that Lori had discovered actually meant anything, which Uma doubted. And how dare this woman -- this intruder in her plans -- tell her that she couldn't accompany Clark! If Lori hadn't raised the objection, Uma was certain that she could have talked him into it, and then she would have had the chance to speak with him alone and straighten out the terrible mistake he had made.

Never mind, she told herself. Tomorrow, she would find some way to get him alone, and then things would be settled.

The ride to the 12th Precinct occupied the next twenty minutes. Traffic moved slowly in the increasingly heavy snow, and by the time they arrived at the station, Lori was glad to park and turn off the engine. Maybe, she thought, when Clark got back, he could just fly her home and take Uma back to John's in the Jeep. Much as she disliked admitting it about one of Clark's descendents, Uma Kent grated on her nerves, and she still wasn't completely sure what the girl was up to, although she was beginning to form certain suspicions. If she was right, Clark was likely to have an embarrassing time letting her down gently, especially since Uma almost certainly would not take rejection well, no matter how diplomatically phrased, and the news of Clark's impending fatherhood was bound to cause a scene. On the other hand, it certainly wouldn't be doing Uma any favors to let her continue to dream of a future with him. Clark might or might not suspect what was going on; sometimes it was hard to tell what he was thinking. She'd intended to voice her suspicions in the restaurant, but Rhonda's call had interrupted and then it had been too late. Oh well, she could tell him later tonight, after they were at home in bed. There were still a *few* places where Uma couldn't accompany them. At least, Lori fervently hoped so.

Clark accompanied them to the precinct, and left them in the hands of Velma Chow's capable assistant, then made his excuses and departed. Lori and Uma waited for nearly twenty minutes before the lieutenant was able to grab a few moments to see them.

"I figured you'd be here to see how things went," Velma said. She glanced at Uma. "Weren't you the young lady at the crime scene this morning?"

"This is Uma Kent, Clark's niece," Lori said. "She's following us around, today."

"I see." Velma nodded in a businesslike way. "Well, since you spotted the pattern, you and Ms. Kent can sit in my office and listen in on the operation, if you like, Lori, but stay out of the way, got it?"

"Got it, Lieutenant," Lori said. "I was supposed to let you know that if you need to get hold of Superman, I can contact him for you."

Velma Chow raised an eyebrow at that. "Other than just yelling 'Help, Superman'?"

"I have his 'talker number. I'm not supposed to give it out, though."

"Not even to me, I suspect," the officer said, sourly. "I'd sure like to know why they do things the way they do, but I guess they've got their reasons. All right; I have to get going, but give me your number, just in case."

Lori did so, then followed the assistant back to Velma's office. The receiver was already tuned in to the police frequency, and the man gestured to the couch and two armchairs that, besides the lieutenant's desk and chair, a file cabinet and a single side table, were the only other pieces of furniture in the room. "Make yourselves at home."

"Thank you," Lori said. "Is it all right if I work on my laptop while we're waiting?"

"Not a problem. Call if you need anything." The man left, leaving the door ajar.

(tbc)

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.