Songs are evil things. There's a lot of songs that inspire ideas in me that never pan out, and just frustrate the heck out of me. And I knew that this challenge would just re-inforce that. So it's amazing that I got this song done from idea to finish so quickly. It may not be the last idea get from this group, but it's the first one done. The song in question is "Music Box Blues" by Trans-Siberian Orchestra . If you haven't heard them, I highly recommend checking them out.

Not beta'd and just finished, so any typos and story problems are mine and mine alone.

----------------
I got the lights upon the Christmas tree
I got the candle lit for you to see
And beside this window I will wait
For inside this night
I know it's not too late
----------------

Lois sighed as she pulled her blanket tighter around her as she looked around the room. In the corner sat her tree, a far cry from the scraggly thing she had years ago. This one stood tall, almost touching the ceiling, lights twinkling brightly in the semi-darkened room. Decorations hung from almost every branch, glittering and reflecting the bright colors of the lights. Even the coffee tables and end tables were covered with holiday knicknacks. In the windows were electric candles, shining down on the street below. The day after Thanksgiving, Clark had dragged out boxes of decorations, refusing to let her even start on her holiday funk, and had forced her to help him put them up. For once, she'd actually enjoyed it.

Now, though, Clark wasn't here to enjoy it. There'd been an emergency in Japan that required Superman's help. From the size of the natural disaster, it didn't look like he'd be home in time for Christmas. She felt bad complaining about it, though. What was Christmas compared to saving many lives? She knew what she was getting into when she had married a superhero. She just didn't know then how bad it would be.

In front of her, Bing Crosby crooned to Rosemary Clooney about counting his blessings. She had to admit, she was very blessed. She had wonderful friends, who were all coming for Christmas dinner the next day. She loved her family, even though they exasperated her. Neither of her parents were going to be there, but with luck, Lucy would. She had a job that she loved. And she had Clark, the biggest blessing of them all. No, she really couldn't complain.

By the end of the song, Lois had dozed off. The next thing she knew, there was a cold breeze blowing over her face. She looked up to see Clark closing the window, still dressed in the Suit. He crossed the room and crouched next to the sofa.

"I'm not too late, am I?" He smiled down at her.

She shook her head, smiling sleepily. "No, not too late at all," Lois whispered as Clark picked her up, blanket and all, and carried her to bed.

---------

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited