Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#128096 10/20/03 10:07 AM
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
This is actually pretty similar to the Fairytale Challenge some time back, with a cultural twist. smile

The challenge is simply this: Write a story that fits L&C with a folk tale of your country/culture. Perhaps a short synopsis of the original folk tale that your story was based on would be good. And do include some background information on the actual folk tale as well, like whether it's Irish, Indian, or Inuit.

Any takers? laugh

--meclone2--

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey, that sounds pretty cool! I'll get started ASAP! smile1

~•~
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Great idea, meclone2! Now where can I find a piece of either Polish or American folklore that would be interesting enough to write a story about wink . I'm eager to see what other come up with laugh .

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Just what exactly do you mean by 'folklore'? Could I even use a Greek myth?

Interesting challenge!
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
By folklore, I do mean folk tales, myths and legends. You know, the kind of story that either links you with your ancestors or with your country of allegience. Which are probably 2 different places for most people in immigrant countries (like USA, Canada, even Singapore).

I'm Chinese (my great grandfather migrated over from China) and a Singaporean (Singapore is the country of my citizenship), so I guess I would either choose a Chinese folk tale (like Mulan smile ) or Southeast Asian folk tale to base my LC story on.

I stressed "your country/culture" because I was hoping for more variety in the stories. There are so many different cultures out there and I was curious to see how LC would end up with these cultural influences. smile

Me, I personally consider Roman and Greek myths/legends to be more literary than cultural; that's because the English language is so heavily influenced by the ancient Greek and Roman cultures.

But if you are Greek, then they are definitely part of your culture, so don't let me stop you. laugh

Happy writing!

--meclone2--

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Thanks, youclone laugh !

I know a lot of Greek myths and more recent folklore stories. I'll find a suitable one and use it.

(It will be my 7th WIP... or 8th? OMG, but I can never resist a challenge)

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hmm. clark has been compared to a greek god before. he might make a good apollo. cool. smile

Paul, who will not be writing "clark bunion and babe, the blue ADA." sorry. wink

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard