Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127860 08/14/03 04:12 PM
Juliet Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Okay I was watching all the Northeasterners without power on TV and I was wondering: How would a power outage affect Lois and Clark?

Can be humorous or dramatic, length really doesn't matter in this one, I'll read anything that deals with L&C dealing with the NE Power Outage (I assume Metropolis is in the NE).

So are the creative authors of this board wanting to take on this challenge? laugh

You say I'm a witch like it's a bad thing
#127861 08/14/03 05:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
evil sounds like a challenge for nfic....

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#127862 08/14/03 05:57 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Exactly what I was thinking when I read the challenge... evil

*Blayne*

Clark: You are really high maintenance, you know it?
Lois: But I'm worth it.

Clark: Not exactly what you had in mind, huh?
Lois: Let's see. So far I've been given a glimpse of ritual crop worship, been treated as your girlfriend, and insulted your parents. No, I couldn't have planned this.
#127863 08/15/03 02:27 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
And here my first thought was elevators. And I thought *I* lived in the gutter... wink laugh rotflol

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#127864 08/15/03 04:29 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Living in Cleveland, Ohio which was affected by the horrible power outage (we just got power back about 3 hrs ago and are still without water frown frown frown ) I sort of was thinking along the same lines last night when I was sitting in the dark trying to find something . . . anything . . . to do. Unfortunately, I was sitting in the dark, so I couldn't write anything down. The idea I had was a gfic idea, definately not nfic.

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#127865 08/15/03 05:17 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Gfic...nfic...we don't care so long as it's fanfic, Laura. <G>

I'll look forward to seeing some answers to this one...

Yes, that's a hint. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#127866 08/15/03 09:37 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
What a coincidence!! One of my upcoming fics includes a scene in the DP elevator while the power is down.
(gfic, of course)

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#127867 08/15/03 10:13 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Um, much as I don't like blowing my own trumpet...

The following was written back in February, is mildly nfic and so you'll need a password to gain access.

The Elevator (1/3)
The Elevator (2/3)
The Elevator (3/3)

Edit: Alas, the links above don't actually work. You'll have to go to Zoomway's nfic forum manually, ask to show topics from last year, and go to page 5. smile

Yvonne

#127868 08/15/03 12:24 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just for the record, the links will work once you get past a glitch -- the system seems to get confused when it has to stop you for the nfic password. Afterwards, it forgets where it was going. But when I closed that window and clicked on the link again, it worked fine. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#127869 08/15/03 12:32 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hint? Hm... letssee... still waiting on my beta readers for my G&L and the last chapter of LGL... perhaps, maybe... We'll see. wink I can think of some lovely senarios that fit this, but I'm not sure if I can write it.

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#127870 08/15/03 02:37 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I got the impression that Juliet's challenge was meant to be specifically a MAJOR power outage. That is, like the one yesterday in the NE, or the one in L.A. in 1996, or the one in NYC in 1965, etc.

Something with effects of a bit larger scope than a stuck elevator. Or maybe that's just my take on it . . . huh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#127871 08/15/03 02:52 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Originally posted by rivka:
I got the impression that Juliet's challenge was meant to be specifically a MAJOR power outage. That is, like the one yesterday in the NE, or the one in L.A. in 1996, or the one in NYC in 1965, etc.

Something with effects of a bit larger scope than a stuck elevator. Or maybe that's just my take on it . . . huh
Well, I think that could be one take on it, but I think Juliet just wanted author's to play with the idea in any way they were inspired.

Can be humorous or dramatic, length really doesn't matter in this one, I'll read anything that deals with L&C dealing with the NE Power Outage (I assume Metropolis is in the NE).
In that vein, there might be stories that deal with serious topics like helping stranded people and other problems, and silly or steamy stories about Lois and Clark trapped somewhere.

I actually have a romance novel well underway that takes place during a power outage, but it was inspired by the ice storm that knocked out power in the Carolinas for over a week last winter. So that takes place in the cold. A power outage set during the heat of summer definitely has potential. And while it wouldn't have to be nfic necessarily, my creative processes definitely tend toward steam and heat. If I didn't have a million other things on my plate right now, I just might respond to this challenge. Sounds like a lot of fun. smile

Annie

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#127872 08/15/03 02:55 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
If I didn't have a million other things on my plate right now, I just might respond to this challenge.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Get them off your plate!! We need steamy, smoochie Annie fic!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#127873 08/16/03 05:22 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, Rivka, I realised there was more potential than just being stuck in an elevator, but Anna's post about her upcoming fic just reminded me about my own 'L&C stuck in an elevator fic', that's all. I thought people might enjoy it. huh

Yvonne smile

#127874 08/16/03 08:42 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, for the record, I enjoyed it, Yvonne! smile It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was very well done! smile Poor Clark... lucky for him that Lois was there to help out :p

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#127875 08/16/03 02:06 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
A power outage set during the heat of summer definitely has potential. And while it wouldn't have to be nfic necessarily, my creative processes definitely tend toward steam and heat.
Ah, but a power outage during a winter storm also has great steam potential ... huddling by the fire to stay warm, perhaps needing to share a bed to conserve body heat ... when suddenly, all those layers just seem a little too confining ...

Oh yes, there are lots of ways to go with this one. <G>

Kathy

#127876 08/16/03 05:44 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
[Linked Image] <sigh> Sorry, Yvonne, I didn't mean it like that. frown Actually, when you posted the links, I was thinking it's too bad I don't read nfic.

I had been trying to think of something along the lines of the old movie "Where Were You When the Lights Went Out" . . . but I can't seem to make it work. So I guess I was hoping someone else would do it for me. wink

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard