Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#127803 08/04/03 08:02 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hi there you smart foLCS!

This is an idea that has popped in, and then right back out, of my head from time to time. And the possibilities kind of intrigue me, so I thought I'd just toss it out and see if anyone bites.

What if it isn't just HG Wells who can say the magic word "unspool", and in so doing bring back L and C's time travel memories?

I like the idea of someone ELSE saying it, unknowingly, in the course of conversation. Thus sending its hearer; be it Clark, Lois, or both, back into memory of the reveal and the kiss and the loss of that knowledge.

My first pick to say "unspool" would be Mayson. But why not Perry? Or that darned Jimmy? Or even Lex?

Anybody interested? smile

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#127804 08/04/03 11:00 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ooh! The mention of Lex definitely caught my attention! goofy

It'll be thrilling to see if anybody is up for this challenge - this might get pretty interesting and enjoyable smile

Pelican (who's just trying to pull in some more Lex-stories laugh )

Such a little thing really, a kiss...most people don't give it a moment's consideration. They kiss on meeting, they kiss on parting, that simple touching of flesh is taken entirely for granted as a basic human right.

Susan Kay
#127805 08/04/03 09:54 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Am I missing something? Unspool?? Where in the series did we learn that HG could do that?

Melisma (under her Rock, having watched the show since day one, and wondering what she missed!)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#127806 08/04/03 11:01 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Am I missing something? Unspool?? Where in the series did we learn that HG could do that?
I don't think we did learn this in the series. I vaguely remember a fic where something like this happened. That may have been the keyword in that fic which released L&C's memories of their time travel trip back to Smallville. I don't remember the name or author of it, but I seem to remember something about Lois becoming pregnant and neither L&C understanding how it could have happened. They'd made love when they were still back in the past, so their memory of the time was wiped out.

Anybody else remember this fic?

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#127807 08/04/03 11:30 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOL!

Melisma, thank you for asking that. As I was reading CC's post, I felt like Clark, sitting on the front steps with Lois in Brutal Youth, saying, "I have no idea what you're talking about!". But I was too embarrassed to post and ask, thinking I was probably the only one who didn't understand.

Roger - thanks for the reply. Now I understand. BTW, if anyone remembers the name of that fanfic, tell me. I'd like to read it!

- Vicki wave

Oh, and CC - good suggestion! Let's see if anyone takes you up on it.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#127808 08/04/03 11:51 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
BTW, if anyone remembers the name of that fanfic, tell me. I'd like to read it!
Yeah, me too - sounds very intriguing! Anyone?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#127809 08/04/03 11:58 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
From Roger's description, it sounds like Persistence of Memory, by Zoomway - it's on the Archive.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#127810 08/04/03 11:59 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You beat me to it, Wendy. <g> It belatedly occurred to me to try putting 'unspool' into the Archive search engine. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#127811 08/05/03 12:28 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Or you could rewatch Tempus Anyone... I think the exact phrase HG used on Lois was "let the memories unspool" so it's open to a few different interpretations.

However, I *love* the idea of someone else saying it <g> Mayson was dead by then, but Perry might use the phrase, I suppose. Or Daniel could unwittingly doom his own relationship with Lois <eg>

Y'know, if I had a few quiet hours, I could have some fun with this <g>

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#127812 08/05/03 01:32 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Tempus Anyone was exactly the episode I had in mind! I guess it might have been a bit more helpful if I had mentioned it, huh? wink

I know that certain characters don't fit exactly into the time-line here. But maybe that could be played with a little? A bit of creative cheating?

I think what I had in mind was a differnet sort of revelation story. Thanks to Wells, our heroes already Know, they just don't know they know, BUT THEN they Remember that they Know...drama/comedy/heartache/romance...or whatever... ensues.

Anyway, thanks for considering. Can you tell that this is an idea I'd half way like to write myself? My muse, however, sternly refuses.
Thanks for humoring me! smile

-CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#127813 08/05/03 05:54 AM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Or Daniel could unwittingly doom his own relationship with Lois <eg>
That's a great idea, Pam! I can see it now. Lois is fed up with Clark for running off on her. She's ready to throw in the towel and commit to Dan. Just as they're about to kiss for the first time, Dan makes some stupid wise-ass comment that uses the magic word (for the life of me I can't think of one right now that would make sense). Voila! End of relationship. And Dan's left wondering what the heck just happened. Maybe Lois can punch Dan in the nose, too, just like she did Dr. Deter when she got her memory back then.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#127814 08/05/03 06:39 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I dunno, Roger -- Dan was pretty annoying, but he wasn't criminal. I don't think he earned a punch in the nose.

Not that I wouldn't have enjoyed seeing it <g> And his expression when Lois suddenly went from smoochie-mode to stomping out the door would be a sight to see, too! "But Lois... was it something I said?"

Anyway, I've done something with this idea, so watch this space... wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard