Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Oh wow, Sarah!! I missed your stories!! So I was thrilled when I saw your name next to a blue arrow today. smile

And wow! What a great response to Tank's challenge! It's funny, it's witty (the ponytail, Jonathan blushing and stuttered excuse at Clark's surprised question about him reading GQ, Martha thinking that *she* is the brilliant, pig-headed and domineering woman... too many funny moments to mention), and then it gets really waffy and lovely. smile

A purely meerkat-ish fic! Loved it! thumbsup

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Sarah,

"He overheard a certain domineering, uncompromising, pigheaded, brilliant woman saying his haircut was ridiculous.”

“What? I never said such a thing!”

Both Clark and Jonathan looked at Martha steadily. She blushed. “Oh, that was Lois. Right.”
ROTFL!!!!!!!!

And LOL at Lois just ordering Clark to take off his shirt -- in the middle of the newsroom no less!

The conference room didn’t give much privacy, Lois realized, if one didn’t remember to close the blinds.
Um...yeah, Lois. rotflol

She was dating a superhero, Lois realized, dazed. But more than that... she was dating Clark.
Awwwwwwwww! <happy sigh>

This was perfect, Sarah! I loved her reasoning to figure out it was him, and the way she was attracted to his joy as much or more than to his looks.

MORE! laugh

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, Sarah, I loved every bit of this!

The interaction with Martha and Jonathan was priceless. From "he'll never get a girlfriend now" to "twenty-eight years of living with me and she can't tell the difference between burning hair and burning meatloaf" to Martha thinking she was the domineering woman in Clark's life, I was ROTFL! rotflol

I also loved the Lois/Cat conversation (I'm one who completely agrees with Lois there -- the long hair definitely made him look like a hack) and Clark's deflated reaction when Lois barely gave him a glance after his make-over (my poor Clark!).

The revelation and ending was very sweet and adorable (loved how she interrupted his asking her out -- "Will you-" "Yes" LOL!) and the very last paragraph was very WAFFy.

I hope this gets you back to writing, Sarah. I've missed stories like this from you. You definitely have a magic touch for them. smile

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sarah!! You posted!! smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Lovely little piece of Fuzz! <G>

Everyone has pointed out my favorite lines, but the one about thinking Martha being the "domineering, uncompromising, pigheaded, brilliant woman " in his life was funny. <G> Aren't all mom's like that no matter who you are?

Thanks for sharing this. smile Thank Wendy for the nagging, too. <G>

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awww, Sarah, this is fabulous! I expect to see it on the Archive before the end of the month. I laughed at all the same places as everyone else, but then that ending... so sweet.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go read it again. And save it to disk. And maybe even print it out...

PJ smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ahaha! You had me in absolute stitches over the pink ponytail! This was so great; I'm glad to have finally read a story by you! dance

Jen laugh

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Sarah, a very entertaining fic. An interesting twist in a revelation.

Technically this is not a true part of the challenge since it didn't involve a haircut for Lois (you could have thrown one if just for good measure), but it was well done none-the-less. Using the haircut of Clark's as a 'trigger' for Lois' discovery was clever. I often wondered why more people didn't notice the sameness of Clark and Superman's hair in the later years when it was quite short.

I do like how it's too early in their 'relationship' for Lois to be mad at Clark for holding out on her, but she doesn't think immediately of the 'story of the century' but rather, how she can make this, newly realized good looking hunk, hers.

Good job.

Tank (who says, for the record, the general haircut challenge was actually Bethy's idea, his was merely the challenge to Wendy and Kaethel, but he endorsed Bethy's idea fully)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tank said:
Technically this is not a true part of the challenge since it didn't involve a haircut for Lois
Ah, but it was, Tank! You see, Clark only got his haircut for Lois, so it was a 'haircut for Lois'! laugh

I think this is the most ingenious response of the lot! smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
That was really terrific. It was funny and sweet.

Melisa

M
Blogger
Blogger
M
definately amusing. i've only read a few stories so far, and i had trouble understanding quite a few just because i'm not familiar enough with the whole series, but this one is placed early enough that i think i understand more how it fits in. i enjoyed your story; good work.

and i think i'm going to agree that it does meet the criteria of the challenge. the haircut is for lois, afterall, not cat.

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Sarah,

I loved the image of Clark with a pink scrunchie in his hair! And Jonathan reading GQ evil , but I am really glad it wasn't smile

- Alicia smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
you know, i was wondering about it being clark and not lois... thanks for explaining it, wendy. that makes the whole thing so much better!

love the opening with martha and jonathan, but then, everyone else has already picked out my favorite bits from there.

well... except for the burning hair smell and clark worrying about having created a bald spot. those were great, too... rotflol

i saw the revelation coming, but it was still really fun to see.

nice ending, too. very sweet.

so cool to see another sarah fic. smile

also, while i'm writing, i've got to say... welcome to the boards, meermortal! good to see you here. hope, now that you're here, that you'll hang around. like the nick, too. laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Sarah

WOW! This is wonderful and very funny. smile1

Thanks for sharing this fantastic story. I enjoyed it immensely.

Tricia cool

Columnist
Columnist
Wow, Sarah, I really adored this! Just...wow... all around...

Please write something else for us soon? smile1

Melisma (feeling all WAFFy now, here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Columnist
Columnist
Everyone's said everything that I wanted to say, and picked out my favourite bits, too, so all I'll say is rotflol

Very, very funny and WAFFy, all in one!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Finally caught up with this one - and everyone's pretty much said what I was thinking as I read. Too many hilarious moments to quote from, so good thing everyone else has already. goofy They picked all my favourite moments.

Clark in a pink scrunchie? clap More soon!

LabRat (now wondering how Stuart would look in a pink scrunchie....)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Hooray! She's back!

I loved it! Every part of it. It was hysterical. I especially loved the parts with Martha. I can just see her thinking she's knows what looks good on him and being reluctant for him to change it. And Jonathan was so cute when he admitted to knowing about GQ.

Lois was great when she pretending not to be attracted to him the next day, and I can just see the shock in the newsroom when she demanded that he take off his shirt.

Having her figure out ck=s because of the haircut was clever. It does seem odd that no one ever put two and two together. Although Superman's hair was always slicked back, it was easy to tell when he got a haircut. And I like the idea of Lois figuring the secret out so early. I guess she's not galactically stupid in this one. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Features Writer
Features Writer
Sarah,
I'm in agreement with the others
wonderful story, funny and sweet
merry

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow, everybody, thanks for all your comments! I'm... trying to be back. Writing, that is. smile This has been the first story I've managed to finish in ages, and it feels good. But I still haven't gotten to the orc levels in Warcraft, so the next story may be a while. smile

I'm glad people picked out a number of the lines I was very *clears throat* proud of myself. It's wonderful to see certain lines pointed out in a good way, and it also helps me to know when humor worked and when it didn't. smile Although I can't take credit for the pink scrunchie--I originally had it as a "pink hairband," and it was Wendy who suggested I change it to scrunchie to make it funnier.

Kaethel said:
A purely meerkat-ish fic!
Well, I'm certainly glad I haven't disgraced the name of meerkat. smile

Kathy also brought up:
I'm one who completely agrees with Lois there -- the long hair definitely made him look like a hack.
I agree, which was partly why it occurred to me to give Clark a haircut instead of Lois. Lois's hair looked fine shoulder-length (sorry, Tank), and with some of her haircuts looked absolutely atrocious. Clark's hair, on the other hand, was horrible in the Pilot, but much better in later episodes. Much more fun to give our boy a nice makeover. smile And so he ended up with the GQ glasses a little earlier--anything to get our favorite couple together sooner, rather than later, right?

Pam said:
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go read it again. And save it to disk. And maybe even print it out...
*blushes* Aww, thanks!

And Tank said:
I do like how it's too early in their 'relationship' for Lois to be mad at Clark for holding out on her, but she doesn't think immediately of the 'story of the century' but rather, how she can make this, newly realized good looking hunk, hers.
I'm glad somebody else picked up on that! My original concept of the story was to sort of be a joke, Lois finding out Clark's secret and immediately falling in love with him because he was Superman, without telling her. But once the story was longer than a page, I realized that I couldn't do that to my readers. And Wendy, always thinking of you, made sure that I made it clear that Lois loved Clark, not for being Superman. So you have her to thank for that. smile

Paul said:
i saw the revelation coming, but it was still really fun to see.
Ah, but then, Paul, I only put the revelation in at the very last minute because Wendy insisted. *grin* So I guess she must have seen it "coming" and then it never came. I knew there was a reason she was a good reader.

Rat is apparently
now wondering how Stuart would look in a pink scrunchie....
I think you should try it!

Annie said:
Having her figure out ck=s because of the haircut was clever. It does seem odd that no one ever put two and two together. Although Superman's hair was always slicked back, it was easy to tell when he got a haircut.
I always wondered why nobody made the connection before. Always seemed like there was some sort of aura around Clark, not just of invulnerability, but of blindness, that nobody noticed certain things.

Anyway, thanks for commenting, everybody! Hopefully I'll have another story around sometime.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, Blueowl 

Link Copied to Clipboard