Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Those of you who have read the story (rather than just skipping ahead to check out the comments folder for some reason) know something that I've gone (slightly) out of my way to keep as a surprise. Those of you who haven't read part 8 yet will just have to go do so to find out what I'm talking about. Either that or read some of the comments below, which may well explain things. I just thought that, given the nature of the story, it was better to do things this way.

Anyway, thoughts, suggestions, comments, constructive criticism, etc. are, as always, welcome.

Hope this part worked for you and that things make sense.

Off to update the TOC .

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
*happy sigh*

goofy thumbsup

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Paul

An excellent wrap-up! smile1
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tricia cool

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hah! It pays to be persistent, indeed! I was the one who said, right from the start when Clark woke up and was trying to work out who his captors were, that one had to be Lex! goofy

Excellent work, Paul! I remember you saying a few times over the years that you had difficulty writing and finishing long stories, but you did it here, and very nicely too. I like your Lois: she's smart and determined and not easily fooled. I'm so glad that she figured out how like Lex Luthor 'Robert Maxwell' was!

Lovely, WAFFy finish, too - and don't think we didn't notice how cleverly you managed to dispose of some unwanted roadblocks in the way of Lois and Clark's marriage! wink

There's just one thing I've been meaning to say for a while. It seems a weird coincidence that both you and Michael have used the name 'Robert Maxwell' for a villain in your stories: you do know of the real Robert Maxwell , don't you?

Great work! thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Bravo, Paul! Excellent ending to a great story. thumbsup

And, Yeah! I was right about Lex's bomb shelter from the Nightfall episode! dance

I was one who enjoyed reading each and every new post, even if I did chase a few wild geese along the way!

Loved Lois' babble about how long she waited for police to arrive before deciding to enter. LOL

Nice WAFFY ending:
There were breathtaking peaks, formed by pressures great enough to move the earth, fueled by fires hot enough to melt solid rock... Oh, yes, and sometimes we left the hotel room to go sightseeing. That was good, too.
rotflol

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This was fantastic! Thank you for the great ride, Paul! clap clap

I enjoyed this immensely. It was a really great idea and I'm glad I could participate, although I didn't have too many suggestions. laugh

Ines smile

"It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore, CoS)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great story. razz

MAF hyper

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Nicely wrapped, Paul.

I have to compliment you on your Lois. She was very, well... Lois.

Her thought processes were fun to watch unfold, and, of course, her brillance to finally come up with the solution, and the rescue was pure Lois.

Now that we know you can write long stories, I guess that means your next effort is going to have to be of epic length?

Tank (who wishes to point out that all this wonderful Lois action was carried out by the superior, 'short-haired' Lois)

Kerth
Kerth
Oooh you finished it!! laugh

Fantastic work, Paul! smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Great story, Paul. thumbsup

Loved the concept of readership participation.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Nice, Paul!

Loved the last lines laugh

It was a good concept and it leaded to a wonderful story.

Thank you for this opportunity.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
First of all, just for the record, I've edited the topic to include the word "Final." It's been long enough that most people probably won't be surprised that this was the last part. Those who were still wondering will now know why there hasn't been a poll this week.

On to comments...

Rivka, thanks for posting. You've been one of my most consistent supporters on this story. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and especially glad that you took the time to let me know. Thanks. smile

Tricia, glad the ending worked for you. Yes, you were right, but I wasn't about to let you know that ahead of time, now was I? <g> I was glad for your persistance, all the same. I'll get a bit more into that in my response to Wendy's comments. Anyway, thanks for writing.

Wendy, yes, you were very quick to suspect Lex as the admirer. I was pretty happy about that. One of the things that came up in my early brainstorming sessions with Kaylle was that the plot could be quite tricky to handle. Things could have worked out so that at the last minute you all found out that the guy who'd been mysteriously sending tips was, in fact, Lex Luthor, and that he'd been busy jumping around from body to body with a magical soul stone. Sure, there's support for it in the series, but somthing like that, coming out of left field, could have made for a very poor reader reaction. Villain ex machina. Not really a good plot twist.

So, I did my best to put in some clues early on. I didn't want things to come as a total surprise. I was very glad to see you and some others picking up on them, and even more excited when you said at some point in the middle that you were suspicious because the admirer's style sounded "exactly like Lex."

Of course, there were plenty of other theories being tossed about, including the one that the admirer might be Dan. It was quite interesting to read everyone's thoughts on the matter. Seeing the mixed guesses like that meant that I was holding up that delicate balance... taking the edge off the surprise while still allowing enough room that the readers in general weren't sure.

As for your comment about longer stories, Wendy, I'd been thinking of the subject myself. The way I see it, I didn't plot this story out. The readers did. I had no idea where things would go, how information would come out, or what would happen. It was reader suggestions that made it all possible, and there were quite a few that I'd never have thought of myself. That's why I included the readers in the author listing for the archive version. I truly feel that you all played a crucial role in the writing and plotting of the story.

As for the disposing of roadblocks, I think I moved them more than anything. The week in which this story takes place is one in which there was no ep. So, I completely ruined that week for them (which, as far as we know, would otherwise have been relatively uneventful), but made the next several weeks far more pleasant. I think it was a fair trade for our heroes. smile

As for the name I chose, no, I don't think I have previously heard of the real Robert Maxwell. I missed Michael's fic, too (along with far too many others lately). I just made the name up.

I started off thinking that Lex was going to take over the body of someone boring and unnoticible. Good-looking, of appropriate age, but basically just your average boring ordinary guy. So, I named him "Bob." Apologies to anyone named Bob (for the record, the one guy I can think of offhand who actually is named Bob is nothing like that), but it seemed to me to be the most appropriate first name for someone like that. It could also be expanded to Robert.

Then I needed a last name. I decided that it would have to include the letter "x" because Lex seems obsessed with having it stamped on anything he does. I didn't want to make that "x" too obvious and tip people off, but I did want it there. So I tried to come up with a last name that had an "x" somewhere in the middle. I still don't remember if I thought of the coffee or the physicist first, but "Maxwell" came to mind, and I went with it.

Moving on to Vicki's comments... Yes, you got the hiding place! Which, by the way, is what helped me make the decision that Lois would think of it, too (I did that sort of thing more than once during the story, actually). So, thanks for that, and your wild geese, as well. Thanks, too, for your comments about the story itself. smile Very much appreciated.

Ines, thanks for taking the ride with me. It's more fun when you can share it with other people. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, and that you did participate. Participation is what made the story work, and positive comments are part of what made it worthwhile.

Maria, glad to hear you enjoyed, too. Thanks for your steady support. smile

Tank, it's good to hear you felt Lois was in character. Sorry she didn't get a haircut this time. Does a close shave count? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) As for my next effort, I don't know. I never know what will come to me next. Right now I have two stories on my virtual plate. A challenge fic I'm coauthoring and the next part of "House of Cards." I doubt either will be of nearly epic proportions. After that, who knows?

Jose, yep, all done! Glad you liked it. Thanks for posting.

James, participation was fun for me, too. I work best in groups, I think. In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed. Thanks for letting me know.

Anna, I think those last lines might be my favorite part of the story. Seems like I'm not alone there. Thanks for your comments about the concept and the story itself, as well as your participation.

So, that's it. Thanks to everyone who participated. I've really had a lot of fun with this story, writing it, seeing your reactions, reviewing your speculations, working with your suggestions... it's been a blast.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
By chance, I stumbled across this gem in the archive. I don't think Paul is playing in our sandbox anymore, but I still wanted to add my praise for this story. I wasn't around to participate in the polls, but it sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Like the other readers, I really, really liked this Lois. She was brilliant and insightful and mad-doggedly determined. Paul has a very enjoyable sense of humor and writes a mean a-plot. Thanks for side-stepping the argh. thumbsup

I won't quote it again, but the tag line about the honeymoon made me rotflol

BJ

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard