Beautiful story thumbsup thumbsup

party Happy birthday Kaethel

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Good for Clark, guy deserves to blow his top once in a while. He's sexier when he's mad anyway, that's why Lois changed her mind. If he'd done that on the show...well we'd probably have a lot fewer episodes. laugh

Kickin Story, Sara!

TEEEEJ

Top Banana
Top Banana
Very nice, I loved it!!

Happy Birthday Kae!!

dance party

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Cute story. thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just remember...May 31st if the gift is a wonderful story like this one. blush I love the BatP/HoL stories...my favorite. I really enjoyed it. And...Happy Birthday, again Kaethel!! party

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.
Top Banana
Top Banana
May 16 here and I like the Alt-Clark stories.

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh I liked this little story a lot! laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Originally posted by Sara:
Her eyes opened then, wide and tremulous. “To realise... to realise, Clark, that I love you, too.” Her voice was serious, and his heart gave a violent kick. “Can you ever forgive me for what I’ve done?” She was very afraid. He could hear her heart pounding violently. He thought that sound was the most precious thing in the universe to him.

The air hissed out of his lungs in one long puff. “Whatever wrong you’ve done me, Lois, you’ve made up for it a thousand times over.”
(my favorite part!)
Beautiful job, Sara!!! I loved it! Got quite teary-eyed reading it... Amazing!

-Wanda "January 6, I love angst" Detroit laugh

"He's a man. I'm a woman. Do you want me to draw you a diagram?" -Lois Lane, I've Got a Crush on You.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Sara

This is beautifully written! smile1
I love it.

Tricia cool

Kerth
Kerth
eek eek

Wow!!

Impressive!! thumbsup

Jose eek

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Perfect, Sara! I loved it!

Happy birthday, Kae. party party

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lovely story, Sara! And just perfect for that BatP/HoL freak, Kae! goofy

Sure, the confrontation and the declarations of love and so on were great. But what most appealed to me was that first scene, your depiction of Clark Kent alone in his apartment, torn apart by pain caused by loving a woman he could never have, a woman who had rejected him and betrayed him. Your imagery and description left me breathless and envious. thumbsup

There was this, in particular:

He groaned out loud, a tortured sound, and plunged his fingers through his hair once more, wishing for solace, for peace, for...

...for sleep.

Sleep... where endless images of her danced behind his eyeballs, when she came to him with silken whispers and impossible promises, when he held her tight against his body and plundered her mouth with his hungry lips, when she gasped his name and clutched his hair and told him she loved him...

...when he woke up in a sweaty haze, the blankets twisted in a cruel tangle around his lower limbs, half-delirious with the thought of her, the taste of her, until the cool night air revived him into a state of semi-consciousness and he remembered who he was - where he was.

Clark Kent. Superman. In his apartment. Alone in his apartment at some ungodly hour.

Alone. Always alone.
mecry Poor Clark!

Great work, Sara!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Sara,

That was fantastic!

Thank you,

Helga

And Happy Birthday Kaethel! dance

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great story, Sara! smile1

I totally agree with Wendy's post. The confessions of love and the WAFFY ending were wonderful, and just made me go "awwww!" But the beginning, was WOW! I could *feel* Clark's pain. Very powerfully written. thumbsup

- Vicki (a lover of angst who notices several people have mentioned their own birthdays, and wants to add that hers just happens to be April 27, if anyone is interested)

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, first of all, I'm just blush that I left it this wrong to respond to comments, but things here are *horrifically* busy at the moment, so it just slipped my mind... but *wow*!! Thank you all so, so much!!! smile1

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hi Sara! Nice story!

Clark's introspection is appropriately angsty and agonizing in just the right amount. He's alternatively mad at Lois and mad at himself for letting himself fall in love with her. And he hates Superman to the point where he doesn't want to use his powers anymore as represented by the tea kettle.

A stifled grunt, and the next instant, his fist smashed into the nearest unmovable object: the wall. He stumbled and nearly fell as his arm went straight through the brick and he suddenly had a window where there wasn't one before, a peephole through to his bedroom from the living room.
I see where you had some influence from Wendy's story. smile I remember this.

Nature had granted him a body of steel. Sometimes he felt that he would gladly exchange that for a normal, everyday body, and an invulnerable heart.
I love this quote.

He... *he* was her fiance. The man she had chosen to slide that ring on her finger, to match his soul to hers, to gather her close with tender promises, to...

...to make her his wife.
Ick. Somehow I just can't see Luthor doing this. The promises, yes, but matching souls and keeping his promises, no. But it's another very good line in Clark's introspection as he tortures himself.

She glanced down at the sweater in her suddenly clenched fist, pearly with moisture from the cool air. *That* had been her excuse? She was disturbing him at home to return a *sweater*? At one in the morning?
This is so Lois. Even though she knows that this excuse to see Clark is completely transparent, she still needs to hide behind this flimsy reason for seeing him.

She drew a sharp breath, her horrified gaze sweeping over a broad expanse of smooth, bronzed chest, defined so sharply that it appeared somebody had taken a chisel and carved it out of rock.
Horrified at seeing him like this, huh? wink

He looked at her for hours - or was it only a few seconds? - more, then shook his head.

"Go home, Lois," he bit out, spitefully, before moving his arm as if to swing the door closed in her face.
Yes, this is exactly what Lois deserves. Like Tank, I agree this arc savaged Lois' character, but unlike him, I love this arc for its lovely angst. At this point, she deserves to have a few doors slam in her face. She thought marrying Lex would open a number of doors for her, but never realized that a few doors that mean more to her than anything would be forever closed to her if she followed through.

She moved quickly, placing one petite foot in the path of the disobedient door and glaring up at him with all the ferocity she could muster. "No," she said tightly. If he was going to play hardball, then she most certainly was not going to make it easier for him!
But in true Lois fashion, she doesn't let Clark have his way, forcing her way in.

"I'm... engaged, Clark," she said, her tone unforgiving. "I'm in... I'm happy. And I want you to share that happiness with me. I *want* my best friend back, Clark - you mean too much for me just to let you go!"
I love how she's unable to tell Clark she's in love with Luthor because she isn't. But she really loves to torture him by insisting he go to her wedding. That's about as bad as inviting an ex-spouse to a wedding, maybe worse since he still loves her.

"But then, you were never really interested in fairness, were you?"
This is a good example of where this arc completely savaged Lois' character, but at this point it was very true of how she treated him.

"What did you want me to do, Clark?" she yelled, her cheeks flaming. How dare he! How dare he make her feel like that! "Fall at your feet just because you say you love me? I've done that, Kent - men who are *better* actors than you have tried that on me! I've made a fool of myself once; I'm not going to do it again, especially not when *you're* the one who -"

He was staring at her now, his cheeks a deathly white, with an expression akin to horror, and despite herself, she felt some of her anger drain away at the sheer disbelief on his face.

"What are you looking at me like that for?"

He shook his head, his mouth hanging open, his eyes wide and incredulous as they looked into hers.

"You don't believe me," he stated flatly. "You don't believe what I said, that day in the park."

Her chin quivered slightly, but she forced herself to raise it and look him square in the eye. "No, I don't."
Now this is a different take from Lois' response to Clark's confession of love. She tells him she doesn't believe him, though it's due more to her insecurities than anything else, believing she's unlovable. frown

"Get out," he said tightly. "Get out of my apartment, since you think I'm a liar."

She watched his taut, angry back stalk out of the bedroom then, and she knew she had lost him forever.
Great angst! Love Clark's very appropriate response here.

He didn't know how it had happened. One minute, his heart had been twisting in agony as he watched the woman he loved walk out of his life at his order. The next, his stomach had turned upside down and inside out at the sight of her engagement ring, twinkling merrily at him from the wooden floor.
This is an interesting way for Lois to try to get Clark to see her, though I would have thought Clark wouldn't fall for it. An engagement ring is something Lois would have noticed immediately if its loss was accidental. An angry Clark would have probably dropped it in an envelope or box and mailed it to her, but he's being nice here.

He raised a hand to the door, preparing to knock, and recoiled in horror as the handle gave a sudden wrench. The next instant, Lois was staring straight into his skittering eyes.

And she was wearing... she was wearing...
Yes! Turnabout is fair play. smile

He clenched his fist, barely registering the bite on his palm. He opened his hand, looking at the white crescent impression indented in his palm with scorn. Dropping the ring on a small stand, where she would surely notice it, he made a tightly executed turn, heading for the door.

Her voice froze him in his tracks.

"Where are you going?"
Darn. If he had gotten away, we could have had a multi-parter. wink Oh well, I guess they'll talk and get all smoochie.

It seemed to take forever, but eventually the stony grey boulder of his back swung around and he was looking at her. She let her keys swing pendulum-style from her index finger and watched understanding dawn on his face. She had locked the door when his eyes had been fixed so firmly on the floor, sensing that he'd be departing far too rapidly for her taste.

A long pause ensued.

"Are you going to let me out?" he said finally, sullenly.
It really would have been fun if Clark had either ripped the door off its hinges or if he had dived out Lois' third/fifth story window. Would have made for an interesting revelation.

"What do you think I'm made of?" he asked disbelievingly. "Granite? Marble? Steel?" She jumped a little at that last, a memory flashing through her as she stared at him. "This *hurts*, Lois. I'm an -" his lip curled "- ordinary guy. I'm in *love* with you! I can't watch you stand there, with that ring behind you, not letting me out, not letting me go, planning to marry Lex Luthor..."

"I'm not." She said it calmly, ignoring the flurry of emotions within her at the split-second decision.
Kind of interesting that Lois didn't make up her mind not to marry Lex until right this moment. Clark also gives quite a few hints in his speech about his alter-ego.

She didn't have time to obsess about that new awareness, because the next instant he was crossing the room with his long strides, and she was swept up and into his arms and hugged as only Clark Kent could hug her.

"Thank God," she heard mumbled in the space behind her ear. "Thank God."
I like this. Clark's willing to be friends again just because she's not marrying Luthor, even if she doesn't come to love him. There would still be a lot to work through since she still appears to be calling Clark a liar about Lex and about his feelings.

"I've led you on and rejected you. I've depended on you and discarded you. I've joked with you, laughed with you, teased you, and then dismissed you scornfully, ground you into the dirt with the rest of them, tried to pretend you didn't matter to me - *told* you that you didn't matter to me - and now... now..."
She didn't actually tell him in so many words that he didn't matter to her. In letting him down, she tried to tell him she did care for him, but I guess she realizes her actions spoke louder than her words, since her words pretty much screamed out that Clark meant nothing to her.

Yes, she had said it. She *loved* Clark. She loved him so fiercely, so completely, that it was like a pain inside of her - always there, always with her, stinging every second she spent apart from him. Making her ache so badly by just *being* there that she refused to acknowledge its existence, just so she could go on pretending. Just so that she could go on living.

Living without pain.

Without conflict.

Without hope.

Without love.
Aw, this is a lovely revelation of Lois' feelings.

A strong finger tipped her chin up gently, and she was suddenly staring straight into his face.

His face which bore no sign of the disgust she'd been sure he must feel.

His face which showed only confusion, disbelief, tenderness, and...

...love.
Is this where Lois finally believes Clark actually does love her? The last thing she said in Clark's apartment was that she didn't believe him. So even though she now admits she loves him, is this where she finally acknowledges that Clark loves her?

But, strangely enough, no such monster came roaring into her brain. In fact, all that was left as she stared at the man in front of her was...

Relief.

Tenderness.

Love.

Relief. Now there was nothing more between them. Now they were both free of the bonds that had ensnared them. Now they could move ahead. Now they could actually get somewhere.
Wow. We're getting quite a lot of angst-free revelations recently.
It's wonderful how so many writers can come up with so many revelation scenarios and make the reactions of the characters so varied and yet believable.

"Relax, Clark," she said, giggling. "You look like I'm about to rip your entrails out with a dessert spoon."
It does hurt more that way. wink

"Is that... all I have to practise?" he asked, his twinkling eyes darkening deliberately as he moved closer.

She smiled brilliantly at him and brushed her lips briefly against his. "All depends on how good you are, Farmboy," she whispered teasingly, as he rested her forehead against hers.

"Guess we'll find out," he said, his eyes a never-ending pool of emotions.

She grinned as they spoke in unison.

"Together."
Awww. Lovely conclusion, Sara. And a lovely story. smile

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Top Banana
Top Banana
Finally I found (well, more like took) the time to read this! I haven't had more than 10 minutes breaks since last Tuesday, which made it impossible to read anything on the boards.

I'm very, very sorry it took me so long, Sara. But at last this afternoon I was able to read and wallow and appreciate the fantastic sweetness displayed in that story. You've captured Clark's pain so well, and I adored the fact that Lois left her ring to make Clark come back to her. thumbsup

Thank you so much for that fantastic fanfic, Sara! smile

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard