Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hazel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Lynn, I continue to have major problems with Gillian and with Clark's reactions and feelings for her. I'm also troubled that she openly introduces "Sam" as Superman to these fellows who *do* have access to the media and might spread the word. OTOH, I'm delighted by the very real pictures you give us of some wonderful OCs, as well as the backdrop for your story.
After all, it was a national holiday, and as an American, the least he could do was acknowledge it by drinking Chilean wine in a Colombian cantina.
I hope that was supposed to be as funny as I found it! laugh

A question for you: Was I right in assuming that this universe's Lois still said no to Luthor? Did Lex still take a leap off the balcony? Because if so, I find it more than a little appalling that Martha and Jon, a month after it happened, still haven't bothered to call Clark and tell him that the wedding didn't happen and Lex is dead.

Hazel, still quite interested smile

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
J
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
J
Just wanted to let you know I'm still reading and enjoying your story. AND I'm still curious about where this is leading.

Hazel assumes that Lois still said no to Luthor.
I doubt that, Clark's parents would've said something. That makes me think they did get married, even though I hope they didn't.

Anyway, I look forward to the next part and i guess, sooner or later we'll (hopefully see) what happened at that particular weekend in May in Metropolis.

Julia smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Great part. thumbsup

An odd and totally inexplicable spark of irritation snapped through him on hearing this. It had bothered him when Brian had swirled Gillian off her feet in a big welcoming hug when they’d arrived at Rosita’s. And it bothered him now that she had decided to forgo her braid in favor of letting her hair flow around her shoulders. She looked uncommonly pretty, a fact that Brian seemed to appreciate as several times Clark caught the man looking at her with a knowing smile. So then it bothered him to think about what their relationship might have entailed before Brian had left for Bogotá.

Mostly, though, it bothered him that he was bothered at all in the first place.
Don't you even think about it. mad

Looking over the rim of his glass, he saw Gillian staring at him. And when he met her gaze, his breathing stopped for a second. The pain in her eyes was still there, but also in them he saw a knowing. As if she could see into his heart and mind and recognized the sorrow he held within them. In a way, it was like looking into a mirror. She nodded slightly, then looked away, breaking the spell.

Clark released his breath, but his heart continued to pound for long minutes later.
Not Gillis! mad

What happen in Metropolis? confused

More ASAP, please.

MAF frown

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Actually, Hazel, I have to disagree with your assessment of Gillian.

First of all, she didn't "introduce" Sam as Superman to people who have connections to the media and could exploit it. The entire community knows that Sam is the same as the 'diablo' with the cape. And since Clark has been sticking around -- as Superman aka Sam -- to help, I'm sure he's not hiding his powers. As such, anybody could mention anything that would bring up the fact that Sam is Superman. I do, however, admire Gillian for helping Clark out in the conversation when he's uncomfortable with the Superman-directed conversation.

Also...Gillian's treatment of Sam/Superman. (You mentioned this in your comments on the last section.) I would have to say that I'm reserving judgement. Obviously, Lynn, you know Gillian far better than I do. But I'm getting the idea that Gillian is hurting, too. And, from this last part, I might even venture to say that she's hiding, too. And using her service to the town as an excuse to keep hiding (not that there's anything wrong with what she's giving them, only that there might be something wrong with her motives...time will tell).

When Superman first comes, she has no idea who he is, what he does. She has no idea where he's coming from, what he's going through. If Clark weren't already in a weak spot, he wouldn't have been as easily 'manipulated' by Gillian. But the fact that he was isn't her fault. Yes, she was brusque; yes, she was harsh. But you know what? Lois has been way worse. Plus, as with Lois, I get the feeling that Gillian doesn't do well with touchy feely. Is it any wonder she's not going to be sensitive and know the perfect, comforting thing to say after Clark's outburst? Her reaction might not be admirable, might not be what I think she should do, but I think it's certainly understandable.

With what little is left of my breath wink I will say that, Lynn, this is ultimately your story. And what you do with it has to be what the story demands you do with it. I am certainly still intrigued and dying to know how you're going to resovle this satisfactorily. I'm not asking for puddles of waffy goo...just satisfaction. Please?

Eager for more,

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Bethy, I think you are my new hero wink

You have completely nailed Gillian - at least my intention of who Gillian is. It's funny - after writing this story, I feel as if I know her as a sister. Reading Hazel's analysis is very baffling to me, as she is finding things that I never myself got out of Gillian's actions so far. It's kind of like the woman she sees in this story is a completely different person than the woman I know inside my head. (We won't go into how crazy that must make me, that I have make-believe people living inside my head <g>).

Like Bethy says, Gillian is just one of those no-nonsense people who doesn't have a lot of respect or time for people who aren't willing to roll up their sleeves and get their hands a bit dirty in order to help their fellow man. When Superman arrives on the scene, she just doesn't know very much about him. Her challenge to him isn't so much manipulative, but more of a "stick around and dig in if you want to really help us out" kind of an attitude. She knew nothing of his current vulnerable state - how could she? So she wasn't in any way taking advantage of him in that regard.

Also, in my opinion, Clark is far too strong of a character to let such a verbal challenge be the sole reason for his staying in San Pablo. In Chapter 1, when she first states her challenge, he demurs, then thinks internally that, really, he has nothing particular that he needs to rush back to. He allows her challenge to act as an external impetus for staying, but if he didn't have the internal desire to do so, he would have left and not have given it a second thought.

And Bethy - you were right on with the reasoning behind Brian knowing that Sam is Superman. In this story, Clark does not exist to these people. Only Superman with the accompanying powers that he freely uses. They just so happen to call him Sam, and it doesn't occur to them in any way that he might want his powers to remain secret. So naturally they would introduce him as Superman. One of the things he is enjoying most about staying - one of the things that keeps him there - is the fact that he CAN be himself and show his abilities without hiding.

Hazel - after our conversation on IRC the other day, I'm pretty sure that my arguments will not sway you. So I'm just going to have to hope that even if you don't like Gillian, by the end of the story you will not be sorry that you read it. Because at this point, she is who she is. And if it makes any difference, knowing what I know about her, I personally find her a lot easier to like than early first season Lois, who frankly often made me wonder what Clark ever saw in her in the first place.

Bethy - I can't tell you much more without giving anything away, suffice it to say that we have about 12 more segments to go. So thanks for sticking with me. I hope I don't disappoint you after you've been such a stalwart supporter!

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Hazel Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Lynn, I never intended to make you unhappy with my frank FDK. I hope I've made it clear that I very much enjoy your writing, even if I don't care for your character.

It can be hurtful, I know, for someone to dismiss or dislike a character that you've so lovingly brought to life. It's pretty much apparent that I'm a minority of one in my disapproval of her and her motives, so I hope it won't disturb you too much.

Perhaps I'm a little jealous on behalf of Lois? You and Bethy point out that Lois has done much worse, and, like Lois, Gillian has reached this point through pain and sheer determination. Perhaps your character is a bit too Lois-like for me (I don't care for end-S1 Lois by any account; just ask Wendy! goofy ) and I don't like her taking the place of Lois in Clark's heart. I'm not sure about that assessment, which is why I left the "perhaps" in there. wink

Lynn, I will continue to read, but perhaps I'll stop commenting publicly on the mbs. Be assured that I'll stay with the story, but I don't want to ruin your enjoyment. smile

Hazel

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
Top Banana
Top Banana
No, Hazel, please don't stop commenting. Your opinions just go to show how actions can be interpreted in many different ways. And as such, it is making me take a look at how I've portrayed Gillian - makes me question if there are sections I may need to adjust in order to avoid giving people the very impression that you are receiving.

Believe me - I don't mind knowing what you think at all! As long as you don't mind me arguing back with you <g>. This is all very good practice for improving my writing.

Thanks!!
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard