A large male police officer had lifted his hand to thump on the door again. Fear constricted Clark's chest. Then, as Lois opened the door, he noticed the second person - it was Rachel Harris, wearing the Sheriff's badge.
Aha!!! And you're mean, you know? wink

Clark hoped it meant that they had accepted whatever ID Lois had given them.
Yeah, flashing federal ID can work wonders on small town sheriffs. Or get them really really ticked off.

"By your agency?" Clark couldn't see Lois's silent response to the question, but he saw Rachel's slight grimace before trying to regain ground by answering her own question, "No. No, of course not. That's ridiculous."
Uhm... yeah. Oops?

"But surely ... as soon as the mistake was realised ..."
We did our best to cover things up. Unfortunately, the agent in charge wouldn't shoot to kill, so...

"Would you call Clark, please?" Rachel asked. "He won't know my colleague, but he shouldn't find me too daunting."

"Why you in particular?" Lois asked coolly.

Rachel smiled as if at a memory. "Well, he *was* my date to the senior prom."

Lois straightened her shoulders a little, and the two women stared at each other.
Oh boy... Catfight? And what happens when Lana gets there, too?

I had an assignment once where my cover was as an exchange horticultural student.
wave

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.