This was such a beautiful story. I am so glad that Lois and Clark found their way together.

“Have you…” Clark stopped and looked at some point above my head. “... have you thought about dating again?”

“No,” I said quickly, knowing as I said it that it wasn’t true. More than once since we’d arrived I’d fallen asleep in Clark’s childhood bed and wondered what it would be like to share it with him. I didn’t want to admit that, though. Clark had moved on from the small crush he’d had on me and it wasn’t fair of me to make him feel guilty about that. Better for him to think I just wasn’t ready yet than to ask why I wasn’t dating again.

Clark let go of my hands and took a step back. “Oh.”

“Clark?” I asked, still not understanding the look on his face.

He turned away from me for a second, not answering my question, and when he turned back there was an intensity in his eyes that surprised me.

“I waited for you,” Clark whispered.

“What?” I asked, confused.

“Remember at the Kerth awards. The kiss?” Clark asked.

I nodded, feeling unaccountably afraid of where this was going.

“I promised you I wouldn’t wait for you,” he clarified and I took a deep breath.

“But you did?” I asked, not daring to let myself believe what I thought I was hearing.

“I didn’t mean to,” he said. “I didn’t want to, but I couldn’t help it,” he said. Then moving forward he leaned toward me. He stopped just short of my lips and I knew he was thinking of my words from earlier about not being ready. Without thought, though, I closed the distance between us.

Minutes, hours, or maybe years later, he drew away to look at me again. “I love you, Lois. I think I always have.”
This had to be the most beautiful part of this chapter; Clark being so unsure of himself and wanting so badly for Lois to know that he wants her without making her feel pressured. And she wants him, too. And Martha was just so--Martha with this whole scenario. Such a wonderful ending to a wonderfully written story.

Loved it!

~Sheila

I'm a firm believer in the fact that God doesn't put any more on us than we can bear. He does however make us come to Jesus every so often.