Well, wow! That's a very interesting start!

It's great that Lois got Martha and Jonathan as her 'surrogate parents' and mentors. Clark, on the other hand, is a recent arrival on the Earth? Or maybe he did arrive here as a child, but he grew up in a non-English-speaking country? (I find that a bit hard to believe, nonetheless. With Clark's excellent linguistic ability he should be able to and interested in learning English, the most important language on the Earth, quite quickly.)

There was a short paragraph in this first chapter that I found quite suggestive:

But come to think of it, it had been a while since she had talked to them. She had called maybe a week ago, but Martha had seemed very distracted about something, and finally asked Lois to call her back later.
A week ago Martha had seemed distracted, and she had asked Lois to call back later? Why? How about it was Clark who arrived on the Earth as an adult and landed in Smallville as he was 'supposed to'?

And so Clark learned to speak English in a week? Well, why not? A linguistic genius like him would speak English with exactly that amount of uncertainty after learning it for seven days.

Well, wow! I wonder what Clark's Earth name will be. Will Martha and Jonathan claim him after all and say that he is a distant relative of theirs? So will he be Clark Kent after all?

And now I really look forward to seeing Lois and Clark meet, both in Smallville and in Metropolis!

Ann