First - Marcus, it's "mothers-in-law" because the mothers are plural, not the law.

Second - Zowie! Queenie, this is a brilliant story. I really liked the original setup vignette, but this is even better. The code between Jor-El and Lara - the experiment in Kandor which produced some unexpected results - is so very like two indiscreet lovers who are facing the consequences of their actions. And I really liked Lara's pondering the meaning of the markings on the hard path.

The glimpse of the strict Kryptonian societal structure was also very enlightening. It's ironic that the New Kryptonians were crazy in this story, since Clark (and the rest of the world) now thinks they're representative of Superman's home planet. I wonder if Lara will reveal her origins any time soon? If that rusty old wheeled conveyance strikes her and injures her, she'll end up in a hospital with no ID and no way to tell them where she's from. And does she even speak English? Or is Kryptonian like Navajo or Comanche or Cheyenne? They might think she's wandering off the reservation. I only hope this isn't a prelude to Lara ending up in a hospital in Tempe or Kingman with real amnesia, although that would be interesting in and of itself. The physical trauma combined with the psychological stress might make her amnesia longer-lasting than Clark's was in the Nightfall incident.

Why Arizona? I like the Southwestern part of the US. It has an austere beauty not found anywhere else in the Western Hemisphere (that I know of, anyway). And it has the added advantage of being thinly populated, so she won't get dumped unprepared into some big city. But I can't help but think that there's more to it than that. You have that evil reputation, after all. evil

Great beginning, Queenie! I think I might just quit writing for a while until you and Carol finish your epics, or I'll be too much in awe of both of you to put fingers to keyboard.

Looking for the next forty-eight chapters tomorrow!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing