I haven't responded to the feedback lately, and I apologize for that. I wasn't sure how many were still following the story, but I've learned that for every one who makes the effort to leave feedback, there are ten to twenty who lurk and don't record their responses. To those of you who might fall into this second category, please don't feel that you are competing with expert feedbackers like Maria and Ann. Anything you might have to say is valid, and any author loves reading the reaction to his or her work, whether positive or negative.

Now, to respond to the plot comments. Everyone seems to be putting Lex Luthor in the category of "evil manipulative villain" as an automatic reaction to seeing his name. I would like to point out that I have a history of changing certain characters in my stories. Lana, for example, was quite different in this trilogy's first chapter. Please consider the possibility that I have also significantly changed Lex Luthor's character in this story.

Of course, it's also possible that I haven't changed it.

The comments about Lois's intense visceral reaction to seeing Lex for the first time are quite valid. It's true that Lois, on the show, was not as physically attracted to Lex as this portrayal of Lois is, but there are mitigating factors. This Lois is younger, less experienced, less cynical, and more open to new relationships. On top of that, her relationship with Clark is deeply influenced by both her memory of Lana (and her treatment of the dead woman) and Clark's memories of Lana. Remember, also, the encounter group in an earlier chapter. Lois cannot become Clark's healing, or he will (on an emotional level) expect her to be a direct replacement for Lana. Lois cannot and should not be that, and bringing Rebecca into Clark's life will help him to place Lana's memories in their proper place in his life and heart.

That may or may not mean that Rebecca will be a permanent addition to Clark's life on some level.

And to those of you who might believe that I have changed these characters so much that they are now really other characters, you have a valid point. Every work of fan fiction which does not follow one or more episode plot lines does the same thing. However, as a writer I reserve the right to explore alternate views of our favorite couple. You, as a reader, have the right to like or not like my portrayal. You also have the right to continue reading or to stop at any time. I'll pout if you do, but I will also understand.

I can promise some in-depth examination of all four of these characters in the near future, and I can also promise you that some shocking surprises are in store for these folks. I only hope the FOLCs enjoy reading them as much as I've enjoyed writing about them.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing