Well, Terry, I very much admire your story, but you know me - some aspects of it provoke me, too. And the problem may lie with me every bit as much as with your story:

The question of the morality of the deed is up to you, and I’m sure we’ll hear from a whole bunch of people who think they know the absolute right answer. They’ll be on each side of this issue, and nothing anyone says will change their minds.”
Yes, Connie, in some ways I really am an incorrigible 51-year-old woman who won't back down from her position. Because I'm never going to agree with you about this:

But given the provocation, the circumstances, and the whole situation, I think you did the right thing that night.”
I can accept that Superman's behaviour that night was understandable, given the provocation, the circumstances and the whole situation. And I can accept the idea that Superman will not receive any punishment for doing what he did, precisely because of the circumstances, the provocation and the whole situation. But saying that he did the right thing - that it was good that he acted like a self-appointed judge, jury and executioner that night - that's something I can never accept.

And, Connie, I was a bit disappointed that you said this:

I’m in favor of capital punishment for some crimes, mass murder being one of them. The deliberate, unprovoked taking of one or more lives is abhorrent to me.
In almost all circumstances I'm against capital punishment. Yes, I think it would have been right to execute Hitler. For all of that, I think we should be thankful that Hitler killed himself before justice caught up with him, because that way he died like a coward, not like a proud and wronged-against martyr. As for Saddam, my own guess is that Iraq won't benefit from his execution.

And, Connie, when you said that the taking of only one human life is abhorrent to you, I totally agree with you, of course. But are you implying that the taking of only one human life should be enough to sentence somebody to death? In that case, I'll forecefully disagree. How can you be so sure that the person who is accused of killing only once really did the killing that one time? When you execute a lot of people for such things as murdering on a single occasion, you are definitely going to execute some innocent people, too. There was a story posted on these boards a year ago or something, where Lois was not only wrongly accused of murder, but she was also wrongly found guilty of murder, and indeed, she was also wrongly executed for committing murder. Isn't it absolutely horrible? And those things are really going to happen if you execute people regularly.

All right. Let's return to your story, Terry. I, too, absolutely cringed at this:

And if Superman went to prison, Clark Kent would have to disappear. There was no way to maintain both identities from inside the Big House, in the slammer, up the river, in the joint, behind bars, as an involuntary guest of the state, whatever euphemism one might choose. No, a guilty verdict would spell the end of his civilian life, and the end of any relationship he might have had with Lois.

Then, when he finally got out of prison, Superman would retreat to some remote mountain where he could spend the remainder of his days alone, doing whatever good he could, as long as it didn’t involve getting involved with people. The red-and-blue suit would vanish, and the hero would eventually fade into half-remembered history, mentioned only on quiz shows and in trivia games.
This is totally unbearable. I think we all feel so strongly that it mustn't happen. But... that is why Superman can't allow himself to act as judge, jury and executioner, either.

As for Lois and Clark's relationship... well, this chapter didn't get my hopes up. Clark is already thinking that Lois is cheating on him. Will he believe her when she tells him that Ron isn't romantically interesting to her? Of course, I can admit that she should probably not have invited Ron inside, given the fact that he is obviously attracted to her. She undoubtedly did it because she values Ron's friendship, because she was feeling lonely, and because it was difficult for her to say to him that they shouldn't be seeing each other in private, not even as friends. Oh, well. Somehow I don't think you will let her get away with this without suffering for it, Terry.

And Lois's testimony is coming up. Ugh. Maybe Lois shouldn't chase Ron away. When this trial is over, Clark may not want to see her again.

Brilliantly written as always, Terry.

Ann