This totally feels like a real episode, and a real problem that they'd run into!

So, while Lucy was busy watching Sesame Street and her parents were launching into yet another argument, Lois slipped into her father’s study and placed the call.
This really stabilizes us in her past!

Lois sighed. She had been hoping to skip this part.
I feel like this is how we allllllll feel at this part of the story! lol I love the way you navigated it.

“Yeah. We’re uh… we’re pen pals. Yeah, they did this pen pal program at school and we got paired up.”
“Oh, really?” Martha sounded skeptical.
“Really. Um… can I talk to her? Please?”
This is so delightfully in character - its an adult lying, but it's Superman, so still not lying well. And Martha is just going to roll with it but knows something is off.

“How do you know? What if it takes him days to realize he messed up? Or weeks? What if he never realizes it?”
I'm actually really curious to see how long it takes Wells, myself. Will the other challenge responses you mentioned go further in this timeline/universe?

“If he doesn’t show up in a week, I’ll call you and we’ll go from there. What’s your phone number?”
Thank you for giving them a contingency plan! The tension is being held really well in this chapter, but this is reassuring to read!

This really, really wasn’t fair.
rotflol

I'd love to see more of this one! If this is a one-shot, though, it's a great snapshot of this dilemma!