First fic-a-thon fic posted! party

His voice was quiet, gentle…actually, it was a bit somber, matching her mood.
Jimmy! I love that the king of putting his foot into his own mouth is really showing up for Lois when it matters! Such a great choice to give him this awesome emotional layer.

“No way!” he said firmly, and it set off a little spark inside her, reigniting her fire.
Yay Jimmy! clap

She straightened out her skirt and blouse and grabbed her purse, feeling motivated. Determined. “I’m going to get Clark.”
You can really feel the energy in this line!

Lois cleared her throat, realizing she’d been silent…they’d all been silent for an unusually long time. Martha had been watching her watch Clark, and Jonathan too, though his gaze fell to the floor when Lois noticed. There was a weird energy in the air, and it was extremely unlike Clark not to have even greeted her.
Oh, yikes. This really says more about what Clark is feeling than anything else could. The Kents showing up to handle him with kid gloves... sad

“Yes!” Martha said loudly, startling Lois. “Clark should work! With you. To figure out why Superman isn’t responsible for this heat wave—he just can’t be. I refuse to believe it!”
“I’m glad you agree, Martha!” Lois said, finally feeling a bit cheered again. At least Clark’s mother was also on her side. “Everyone else has already written him off, but I’m not going to let that happen, not after all he’s done for Metropolis.”
Martha made a peculiar noise next to Lois. Almost a gasp, maybe? When she looked over at the woman, Martha put a hand on Lois’s arm, squeezing gently. “Thank you, Lois…” It seemed like she wanted to say more, and even as caring a person as Martha was, Lois was surprised to see the sheen of tears in her eyes.
Oh, I really love them together. And I know that Lois is only in half of this conversation, but I just love that they're both getting what they need anyway. It really pulls at the heartstrings.

The Superman action figure.
mecry Punch to the gut!

and it’s…killing him that he might be putting people at risk…people he cares very much about…” His voice was thready now
OMG, this whole section is just so gut-wrenching!

She knew him well enough to know that the next words out of his mouth would be…
“Are you okay?”
I LOVE this structural set-up! So fun!

Feelings she’d never seen him exhibit toward Superman. In fact—
lol That's great! This is so delightfully, delicately done!

I love how this whole thing sets them up to launch into the rest of this investigation together!! It feels SO in character for Lois to just pull him in to action, too! Really satisfying to read! hyper