Originally Posted by bakasi
I really liked that chapter. I'm impressed with young Kal-El's performance. 225 kg, that's four times my weight. Not bad for a sixteen year old boy. I thought he was growing up under a red sun. confused

Anyway, aside from that, I enjoyed this chapter very much. Can't wait for the next chapter.

I'm glad you liked this chapter!!

Kal is definitely growing up under a red sun and does not have powers on Krypton, but he trains hard (every day, and has for years) and is quite strong! He is exceptional, even for a Kryptonian, but does not have any special powers or anything here.

Originally Posted by Terry Leatherwood
It's obvious that Krypton-normal Kal-El is already physically superior to almost any Earth-normal human, male or female. This is a great way to wrap up that data with his tension at knowing what's going to happen and his stress from keeping that secret and his struggle to learn English from a book (very difficult to learn a new language that way) without spilling the beans, which is another phrase that he doesn't yet know.

The fact that he's pushing himself to excel at everything he does is natural. Drek will think that Kal is trying to show him up, but it isn't true. I can't imagine the heartbreak that Kal will experience when Krypton is destroyed.

Assuming that Jor-El's computations are correct, of course. Maybe you'll pull a fast one on us and leave Krypton there while Kal thinks it's gone and he's alone for 274,990 words. Then Drek will show up and say, "Hey, buddy, your dad was just kidding! We're all okay. In fact, we're all coming to stay with you."

Nah. You wouldn't be that evil.

Would you?

Not to spoil anything, but NO I definitely didn't do that here...

We'll learn Krypton's fate very soon now... whinging

Originally Posted by Blueowl
Wow, this Kal is going to be very different from CanonClark, but I smiled when I read that he doesn't really enjoy being bowed to.....

I really wonder how you're going to have him meet Lois and hopefully the Kents! I also wonder how different his departure from Krypton is going to be.... frown (I'm already mentally getting tissues ready.)

Can't wait for more!

You may need those tissues soon... whinging

Kal is very different from canon Clark in many ways! But, as Sara said, it is his innate humanity -- despite how he's grown up on Krypton -- that makes him Superman. grin

Originally Posted by KSaraSara
And I’ve said it before, but I just love the way you use language to tell a story… you’re very intentional about your word choice to show that it’s really Kryptonian (well, Kandorian) that he’s speaking and thinking in. And then, it’s great that he’s trying to practice his English in his everyday settings—where it’s most relatable—and yet, you manage to also let us know his emotional state through the phrases that he chooses.

Gahhhh… the world building! It’s fantastic how much we’re learning about Kal as a Kryptonian citizen, but we can very much see the aspects of his humanity, if you will, that make him Superman. GAH!

I’m still so very excited that the rest of the world gets to read this story now!!

Sara smile

It is difficult to imagine having to learn a language as Kal was made to -- just from a book...especially English! And it was...lots of Googling to try to pick out the best words for Kal to be mentally "complaining" about here. lol It was also quite fun building this world (even if...ACK!).

I'm glad you love it so much! love

Chapter 3 will be up soon!

Thank you all again for reading!

-Bek
hyper