Some useless information about solar cycle 22 which started in 1986 and ended in 1996. A massive Earth directed X class flare occurred in 1989 (X15) and damaged satellites, also knocking out the electricity grid in Quebec. This flare remains one of the largest to hit earth directly. One of the largest flares on record include a truly monstrous X45+ flare that knocked out the satellite measuring it, in 2003. Though not Earth-directed, it did cause issues with onboard GPS for northern hemisphere airplanes, and satellites. An M1 class flare (much smaller than an X class flare) knocked out an entire Starlink array (40 satellites) shortly after launch in February 2022, and they fell into the atmosphere and burned up.

When this episode aired it was during the solar minimum before starting solar cycle 23 at a time when we were still learning more about the sun, solar flares, and the damage they could do to Earth, its inhabitants, and the technology we all rely on. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it (I'm a northern lights nerd... solar flares are fascinating to me!), but there's a good chance that the writers remember the events of 1989, as would the characters in Metropolis perhaps making them sensitive to the implications of solar activity mucking up their weather.

The judge says '...flying, the visual thing...' I always stumble over naming Superman's gifts when writing but don't think I've used 'visual thing' yet!

Lois has another shirt on with the strange cut on her chest and a button holding a flimsy 'collar' at the neck when Clark kisses her goodbye. I don't remember these styles at all in the '90's (though at this time I was still in the UK), and for some reason, I really don't like them!

Lex makes note that the radioactivity in the nuclear plant didn't affect Superman. I'm wondering if he tests the Kryptonite that he obtains and discovers there's some radioactivity there as well?

Are there any fics that expand upon Cat's line 'you and I should talk?'