Spoilers galore in my post, as well.

First, to address your comments, Ray: I agree that the two leads do not have the typical hormonal chemistry which Hollywood usually craves. Instead, I see something far more precious, something seen too rarely on-screen: The chemistry of a long-married couple who love, respect and cherish each other. Their chemistry feels more "lived in" -- which is precisely what it should be for this particular L&C.

I'm sorry you aren't enjoying the show so much. As far as I am concerned, there have been far more hits than misses with it. (There was only one episode so far that really was not up to snuff, as far as I am concerned.)

I have lots of spoilery thoughts on this episode.

-- Were Jordan's super-hearing episodes physically painful for anyone else? I practically had to cover my own ears, especially with the high-pitched tones.

-- The depiction of super-hearing reminded me of my favourite scene from the movie "Man of Steel" -- the one where Martha had to comfort young Clark when he experienced his first super-hearing episode. It struck me as *very* true to life. In fact, I have had many similar experiences first-hand. As many of you know, my son has a number of special needs. I know I have brought up his autism several times on the list. I don't remember, however, if I had ever mentioned his hyper-acute hearing. Especially when we were out in public, he would often go into sensory overload. On more than one occasion when he was two or three, he would curl up on the floor/sidewalk and just scream until I calmed him enough so that I could get him to come with me to the car and I could drive him home. I initially didn't realize that the cause of the behaviour was a sensory issue; once I did, I made a point of not taking him to extremely noisy places. (In hindsight, it should have been obvious to me. My hearing is also far more sensitive than most people's.)

-- Jordan looked as though he attributed to super-strength his ability to punch through a wall. Unless my son is (unknown to me) part Kryptonian, humans can perform the same feat. When he is really upset, he has been known to punch or kick holes in his bedroom walls, as well. (He is basically nonverbal, and so can't let out his anger via words.)

-- John Henry Irons and Natasha! I had suspected that that's what the writers were going for shortly before Captain Luthor said, "Natbug" for the first time. A version of these characters were regulars in the Superman comics, especially in the 1990s. In the comics, they were friends and admirers of Superman. As I recall, Irons (whose hero-name was "Steel") is one of the very few people with whom Clark voluntarily shared his secret.

-- Lois had to talk Clark down from killing Captain Luther/JHI/The Stranger? That didn't seem in character to me. Surely this isn't the first time someone seriously threatened Clark's life, and yet he presumably hasn't killed others in a similar situation. Based on the rules set up in the show, unless there were far more extenuating circumstances (e.g., the life of every person on earth was at stake), such a killing would break the public's trust in him.

-- In support of the previous paragraph is his answer to "So this guy came back from the dead to kill you?" He was so casual when he said, "Wouldn't be the first time." That made it sound like there had been numerous attempts on his life, and probably more than one from someone who had formerly been dead. (Clark's reply has me laughing aloud.)

-- Trask! As far as I know, the only other place in which that character has appeared is "Lois & Clark." I love the mention of him here. I wonder if we will see him in a subsequent episode. Wouldn't it be a hoot if he were played by the same actor?

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Joy,
Lynn