Part 1

First off, this was a delightfully different take on the relationship Lois and Lex. We usually hear about their fantastic dates, but rarely do we actually see them take place. Lex is all about the showy display of his wealth and position, what better way to impress someone than fly them to Paris and watch an opera? Lois has no interest in Madame Butterfly, but gamely did some background research into the show so she could better understand what is going on. Way to go Lois! But, the story actually bores her ... Afterwards she walks off by her to check out the layout of the Opera House. Lex is so involved with his conversation, he doesn't even realize his date is gone! I had to chuckle at that! The following description is so very much Lois:

Lois smiled drily to herself, and slowly advanced further; away from the guests, following the curve of the building, along the glass roof and windows rhymed by round massive pillars. Between see-through façade and carpeted path, an inside balcony railing guarded the chasm where massive stairs led from one level to the other. Lois glimpsed absentmindedly over the short rail, noticing that some people had left empty champagne glasses perched precariously on its brim. She picked them up and deposited them on the floor.

Ever the investigator is our Ms. Lane. smile1

“Luthor News Network. Lex Luthor offered me a job there.” Something pressed on her traitorous tongue and Lois specified: “It’s good, exciting work.”

Sure it is, but not for you!

Before Lois’s obvious lack of reaction, she elaborated: “It’s a small factory situated in the Landes, in the South-Western France. There are forests of pines in the area and it’s one of the main sources of jobs in the region. The factory was bought a year ago by an American consortium that decided to close it down, because it is too small.”

Lois hazarded a guess: “Not profitable enough?”

“That’s right.” Sandrine sighed. “The same old story… There are merely three-hundred workers in the site, but more than a thousand jobs are impacted by this shutting-down: farmers, foresters, woodcutters… Many working in the same trade from fathers to sons…” She grimaced. “I was visiting friends in Dax, not far away from the site, when I heard that mayors of the surrounding cities and villages, along with the population and defenders of the factory, planned a huge street protest on the day the board of directors met.”

Lex’s right hand, encircling Lois’s left arm, briefly tightened. She surreptitiously glanced up at him behind her own shoulder, but his face wore his usual attentive, faintly smiling social mask.

Bravo, Sandrine! Stand up to this heartless industrialist! Take that Lex! There is little doubt in my mind that he has a hand in ruining that paper mill. Not only is he heartless, but closed minded as well. the community which supports the paper mill will die very soon after it closes. Of course, he couldn't care less about that.

With a show of concern, Lex turned to his companion. “My dear Lois, your usually perfect command of English leaves something to be desired. Shall we blame hunger for your lapse?” For Sandrine’s and Stéphane’s benefit, he announced more drily: “We’ll be late at La Tour d’Argent [a very chic restaurant] if we delay much longer. A private dining is waiting for us.”

He nodded regally to the French couple, thus ending the conversation.

Before Lois could properly make her good-byes, she was adroitly whisked away from her new acquaintances, and en route to the promised culinary treat.

Lois, don't walk ... run from this man is considers you nothing more than a possession and not a person. He doesn't love you!

Great story Millefeuilles! What a way to come back to the boards! dance

Last edited by Morgana; 09/10/19 02:17 PM. Reason: Additional comments

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.