thud

notworthy

love

I'm not sure I can leave fdk without quoting everything in this chapter, but I'll try. laugh

"Hi!" Lois chirped as she pulled on the hem of the shirt in an ineffective attempt to lengthen it.

"Hi," he managed to reply in a voice that sounded surprisingly normal.

Her eyes narrowed a little as she took in his rumpled appearance. "You're sure I didn't wake you?"

Clark swallowed hard and shook his head. "I wasn't asleep yet."

Lois smiled like she knew better. "Maybe you should ask me inside? Or do you want to do this in the hallway?"
Hallway, bedroom, bathroom, roof of the building. Anywhere, really.

I loved the detail of her tugging on the hem of the t-shirt a few times, trying to get it to grow longer.
"Then I need to ask you for a favor. I, uh, well, in my haste to get over here, I kind of forgot my room key." She looked down, as if to verify that her room key wasn't there. Her cheeks flushed and she gave the hem of the shirt another frantic tug which only stretched the material tighter across her chest. He blushed at the discovery that she wasn't wearing a bra as she added, "Actually, I kind of forgot to get dressed, too."

"Yeah, you, uh, you kinda did," he mumbled.

Lois looked up at him from beneath her lashes, giving him a sheepish grin. "I swear, Clark, I wasn't trying to seduce you by showing up in just your t-shirt."

He couldn't resist teasing her. "You think I'm that easily seduced?"

Lois laughed. "I don't know. Maybe. Are you?" She fluttered her eyelashes for effect and it actually took his breath away.

Clark gave her another once-over, taking his time as he appreciated her legs and the alluring drape of the shirt over her curves. "You're lucky I'm jet-lagged right now."

"Oh yeah?" she scoffed. "If you weren't jet-lagged what would you do?"

"I—" Clark hesitated, then shook his head. He was too tired to trust himself with sharing a few fantasies.
Long quote for this amazing exchange. They are being so open while not completing half of their thoughts to each other, and yet they still know the unspoken parts.

You write these characters with such skill. I feel it inside how Lois needs reassurance by asking for Clark to kiss her and tell her again that he loves her, but as top banana she can't just leave herself as a supplicant. She tells him to wow her. And Clark is so Clark by delivering on each count.

The careful choices you've made to describe their interactions give me such a multi-sensory experience. I can see it and feel it and even smell it sometimes. I live that the kiss was mind bending, that she dissolved into him, that her tongue stroked inquisitively, that she feels unfeigned love.

He really was willing to do anything for her; surely she could show him the same kind of consideration.

"How long was the flight from Hawaii?" Lois studied him, watching closely to gauge just how exhausted he was.

It looked like he had to stifle a yawn before answering, "Twelve hours."

Lois shook her head in wonder. How was he even still standing at this point? "Aren't you tired?"

"Not anymore." His eyebrows rose and fell in a lecherous tease.

"Liar," she playfully pushed his shoulder so that he wobbled slightly on his feet. "If you want me to leave, just say so."

He tightened his arms around her a little, pulling her closer against him. "I don't want you to leave."

Her heart fluttered in her chest at the thought of not leaving. The flutter increased as he leaned down to place a kiss in front of her ear. "Stay," he whispered.

Stay. It was so simple. She could stay. Her mouth went dry at the possibilities, acutely aware of the cushy expanse of unmade bed only a few feet behind her. What if she stayed?
So we went from Lois's sweet compassion and attempt to be considerate of Clark's exhaustion to his tease to the kiss and whispered plea for her to stay. Gulp! Who can resist?

"You make me weak." His whispered words tickled over the inside of her elbow. Every nerve in her body was awake and eager for more. She thought she had experienced desire before. Paul, Claude, and especially Superman had made her yearn for a kiss, or a touch, or maybe something more. But those feelings paled in comparison to this. She didn't just want or need Clark at this moment. The sensation was deeper, richer, and more all-consuming than simple lust or passion. The white hot inevitability of the two of them making love had her dizzy and yet she had never felt this calm and certain. Clark's fingers tightened slightly on her arms and she knew instinctively that he was feeling the same primal pull.
I hope that Lois remembers this confession after Clark tells her (or she finds out) that he is Superman. The fact that she makes him weak is a huge indication of his feelings for her.

Oh, and HOT! Kind of like the looks ("white hot inevitability," indeed) and kisses they gave each other in SoulMates. So much longing and UST that they want to act on NOW!

Poor Clark. Lois deflected all of his efforts to tell her his secret. Loved her confession that she was jealous of his mystery love. I hope she remembers that he tried to tell her about Superman, too. I'm loving how open and happy and free Lois feels with her realization that she loves Clark. I'm not eager to see her get mad.

More soon, please!