Rules of Trust Part 7

“Are you sure this is the right place?” Clark asked, watching from around the corner as a limo pulled up to a tall brick building with no signage outside. The tall metal door was sealed tightly as two couples dressed to the nine approached.

‘The fat lady sings’ he overheard the man say to the doorman. The door opened.

“Pretty classy crowd for an illegal gaming club,” Lois commented.

“Isn’t that Congressman Haines and his wife?” Clark asked.

“Nice to know how our taxes are being spent,” Lois commented with a wry smile. “Any idea how we break into this place?”

When I first read this I wanted to groan, 'Not again!' But was happily surprised that it was the COMPLETE opposite of what I expected. Clark did not get shot. They were in the middle of a sting operation and Lois was the one who nearly got shot. Detective Wolf showed up at just the right time to divert Mayson from chasing after Clark.

Okay, why would Mayson leave in the middle of arresting bad guys to chase after a man? Seems to me she would not have reached such a level in the department by doing that. Just a thought.

She unlocked the door and swung it open, “Mayson?”

“Lois?” Mayson echoed in surprise, peering past Lois to see into the apartment. “Wha-What are you doing here?”

“Well, I…” she began to explain and caught herself. Why did she have to explain anything to Mayson? She was the one that had shown up unannounced at Clark’s apartment. What was she doing there? “I don’t think that’s any of your business.” She crossed her arms over her chest.

“I need to talk to Clark. Is he home?” Mayson asked, pushing her way past Lois and taking a step into the apartment.

Clark stood on the other side of the room, buttoning his shirt back up from their heated embrace earlier as he jotted down notes on a notepad, still talking to Jimmy. Mayson threw Lois a look as she tapped her foot on the wood floor.

Mayson! Grow up. When you come to a man's apartment and he is there with another woman and he's buttoning his shirt that's a clear indication he's taken. Glad to know Clark had placed a phone message with her, apologizing for leaving in the middle of lunch. Wow! Imagine all the grief and embarrassment she could have save herself! dizzy

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.