I agree with the other posters - this was a well-written, well-told tale. I don't recall seeing anyone else use flashbacks so skillfully to fill in the central characters' backstories (Clark, Lois, and Star). It's a bit sad that while Lois was able to look beyond her circumstances and see that there were other people in the world who weren't totally evil, Star was not. To Star, men were vicious, sadistic, abusive monsters, and women were either helpless victims or violent avengers. That girl was nuttier than an acorn. I'm glad Clark and his family made such a positive difference in Lois' life.

Did I tell you that I suspected Star at about chapter 13? It was only because there was no one else who had the method and opportunity commit these crimes. And you hinted all along that she had the motive every time she and Lois discussed men.

It's too bad about Sam Lane. In the show, I always got the impression that he cared about his family, but that he allowed his work to pull him away from them, and then he didn't know how to change his life to be a real man again. This Sam Lane was worse. I don't know how any man could subject his own daughter to such torture, isolation, and exile from humanity. But you presented him as a rational, reasonable man who - once again - was not evil, but who let his work overwhelm his personal life. Kudos on this feat. And the contrast between Sam and Jonathan Kent was well drawn. If Lois had not had Jonathan's example of a good father in her mind, she might have joined Star in her crusade.

Then no one would have had a chance to stop them. Mad Dog Lane is formidable enough without paranormal abilities. With them - brrr.

All in all, a great tale. I am certain this will be a Kerth nominee in a few months. Brava!

Your challenge - should you decide to accept it - is to craft an equally enthralling tale for your next entry here. It will take courage, skill, talent, and persistence, qualities you have in abundance, so I'm positive that you'll succeed.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing