I read Hurt Before back when you were originally posting it. I remember really enjoying it but being disappointed that it wasn't finished. I'm glad that I re-read it and found the sequel.

This is a great story. It's a really interesting twist on Clark's personality. He's still fundamentally Clark, but it makes sense that he'd be so withdrawn and unwilling to trust given the backstory you've created.

Clark's relationship with Lana is kind of heartbreaking. Even if she had come around and made up with him, I think her initial reaction would always stay with Clark. It makes me think that maybe Alt-Lana from the Tempus episode might have reacted the same way, then finally come around. She seemed to tolerate Clark's powers but not really accept them.

All in all, this was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Thanks for the story! smile

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)