Being that I'm the one who started you on this journey of self-doubt, it's about time I put in my 2 cents worth.
For which I hope you will believe me when I say that I am very grateful. :-) I love to discuss plots and writing, and L&C! So, please don't hesitate to make suggestions, observations, etc. as the occasion arises.

I knew Lavinia should probably have a chaperone--sounds like we've read many of the same novels. I've mentioned my reasons for ditching the chaperone, weak ones that they were, in an earlier post so I won't go over all that again. :-) It's been interesting to try and balance the qualities that we know Lois possesses with the restrictions of this earlier era. The temptation to take a few liberties was irresistible!

You've suggested some very good alternatives. There is one particular reason, which the readers don't know about yet, why I felt I couldn't include a female relative of Cedric's or Lucius' in the mix. Let's just say it would make the Masked Avenger's alter ego's life more difficult. You'll see what I mean when I start posting again. She'd have to be very dotty indeed not to notice the sudden change in a certain someone. At the same time, though, using someone already in England would make some things easier--I wouldn't have to re-write the opening highway robbery scene for one thing! There would still be just Lavinia and her father in the carriage.

I'll give it some more thought, which I'll enjoy immensely! Pam (ChiefPam) and I used to beta read for each other. We'd talk about plots over the phone and over lunch--so much fun! For me this is how the work is made better--bouncing ideas around with other writers. We never got upset when suggestions were made for changes. It's part of the process. :-) I'm just sorry that I had started posting a story with such a big hole in it.

Since people seem to want to see what's going to happen, I'd like to start posting again while I work out what to do about this additional character. There are whole parts where she (whoever she turns out to be) most likely wouldn't play any role at all. At least this way, you all can get the whole story as I'd envisioned it, and I hope you'll be willing to correct, discuss, suggest or even praise, when warranted. The whole point is to tell a good story. We can help one another do that.