And Clark made sure all the satellites that could be tracking him are temporarily…unaligned, shall we say.

Hehe!

“Something that cannot be said for you.” A shadow falls across them both, blotting out the sun, distracting from that glimpse of red and blue, startling both Lois and James as they turn away from the skies.

*Gulp!*

Trask.

Ah, I had thought Luthor. This is probably worse.

James is moving, darting in front of her

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James is moving, darting in front of her

Oh goody. Let's add to Lois' PTSD.

He smirks at her (laughs at her scraps of courage). “You forget, Lane--I turned you into a hero after my own heart once already. I can do it again.”

May I slap him?

A noble gesture. A heroic act.

A foolish miscalculation.

Because then Trask had known,

<heart bleeds for Clark>

from a town that worshipped corn deities

rotflol clap

“You’re the one who was shot, James.”

<nods> Sounding like our old Lois.

“They patched me up--a bit of a q-quick, messy job, but hey, I guess I can’t complain.”

Aw, they just wanted to spare the insurance company some more paperwork. wink

(but only so she could catch Clark in the act, not so she could save him; not then, and maybe that is the most shameful part of the entire debacle)

I would agree with that. Shameful is too light a word, methinks.

“This isn’t a test, is it?” she blurts out. She studies James closely, squinting to make him out more clearly in the shadows. “I mean…that’s impossible. Trask wouldn’t--you wouldn’t work with him, but…”

<stomach drops>

“I’m j-j-just…r-really c-c-cold.” He doesn’t sound calm or in control anymore. He sounds like a little boy, a young kid playing dress-up in his father’s clothes and pretending to a maturity he only has because the world is far too cruel of a place. He sounds lost and alone and scared.

mecry

“But he loves you,” Lois says. She’s not sure if she is reassuring him or resenting the truth of that sentence. “You and his parents--you’re the only ones that stayed with him. The only ones that still saw him as Clark.”

He loves you too, Lois. Trust me.

I just thought...that it was a game, and I'd win.

Heartbreaking, but true to character, I think. Hot-headed Lois, never checking the water level before diving...

She is trapped in a prison of her own impulsive choices, and there will never be an escape. Not for her. Not ever.

Very accurate depiction of her mental state, regardless of the physical state.

I was SO hoping we'd get this chapter - that is, the what-happened-in-Smallville chapter. Well done, and given to us at precisely the right time, I think. Of course, I hate Trask for reemerging/not being worm food. But I knew you'd never give us a happy ending without a little drama first.

Looking forward to the next installment!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon